Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 12:09 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And I sure even more years ago, a 2 family was even cheaper than $600K as no one wanted to live there, or the wealthy be coming in. Anyone who wanted to better themselves and became better back then probably not buy on Liberty Ave.

Build prisons to make up for Rikers perhaps.
Many Asian immigrants who wanted better for themselves came, bought property, set up businesses and now are doing relatively well. Nothing changed in ENY but the attitude of the new residents. Not the housing stock, distance from the city, schools etc. I must say the blocks are starting to look nicer and there is way less loitering on the corner and open drug sales in the areas that I frequent. maybe stop and frisk got rid of them or they are already getting priced out. Either way I will take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 11:04 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
How to tell the direction of a neighborhood? The arrival of private client banking at the local banks. To be invited to bank as a private client a customer has to maintain a minimum of $250k in their accounts. A bank won't offer private client service at a branch because 2 or 3 customers qualify for that service.

The Chase bank on Liberty Ave offers private client service .

I know a doctor couple who recently purchased there.

As recent as 2 years ago 2 family houses could be purchased for less than $600k in the neighborhood.

2002 to 2014 houses were being given away how cheap they were. Think 2 families for $200k.

People need to want better for themselves.
Opinion: Smart Post.

When you can find a few banks within walking distance from where
you live as compared to having to leave your neighborhood to do
your banking ..........that my friend......... speaks volumes.

This is the one green flag that sets a neighborhood apart from the rest.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:54 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Well then I must live with a lot of 'rich' people because I can walk to 6 banks near my S.I. home.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The comments section is worth reading for a perfect snapshot of wallowing in entitlement in NYC. Note the guy who proudly starts one of the comments with the fact that his family has been in these projects since 1960. Welfare as a family heirloom :-). NYC is running out of money to support a massive number of welfare kings and queens, and generations of their royal families, so selling of the projects and public land to private sector is a very logical step. Something had to collapse, either the welfare housing system in the city, or the city itself.
The city and state were already in shaking ground. The financial markets are in horrible shape and have entered bear market territory.

This is very bad for city and the state government. Their budget will collapse. De Blasio, a msn who is known as a communist is selling NYCHA properties. To me that signals they know exactly how bad things are and the city has no choice but to sell. I think next year when the budget is a total disaster more conservative politicians will be elected. Since a communist was able to sell NYCHA properties who can object to centrists or Republicans doing so?

Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Those 'reforms' are working out great. Robberies up 32.4% (+545) and burglaries up 20.7% (+323) over same the time period in 2019. So if you're one of those additional 545 people robbed, or one of the additional 323 people whose home/business was burglarized I guess it's just TFB because elected thug Carl Heastie says we have to be 'patient'.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...en-us-city.pdf
I really hope the next set of NYCHA projects to be bought are the ones on Jersey St and York Ave. on Staten Island. Two large blocks walking distance from the ferry is prime real estate that is going to waste and depressing that area. Throw the people a few bucks to move and a bus ticket to anywhere not here.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:15 AM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

When the neighborhood you live has more check-cashing stores than banks it's time to gentrify.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:12 PM

874 posts, read 454,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
I really hope the next set of NYCHA projects to be bought are the ones on Jersey St
and York Ave. on Staten Island. Two large blocks walking distance from the ferry is prime real estate
that is going to waste and depressing that area. Throw the people a few bucks to move and a bus
ticket to anywhere not here.

Imagine THEN what it must be like to live in: Haiti, Nigeria, Guyana, Uganda, Somalia,
Cameroon, The Congo, Zimbabwae, Sudan, ETC….

NYCHA residents don't know how good they have it here on american soil. Yah...i think of
kaspernick and his (disrespectful) bended knee..........blech.

I don't always feel the need to refer to myself as an "italian-amercan" (american-italian) - I'm an american.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:12 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
I really hope the next set of NYCHA projects to be bought are the ones on Jersey St and York Ave. on Staten Island. Two large blocks walking distance from the ferry is prime real estate that is going to waste and depressing that area. Throw the people a few bucks to move and a bus ticket to anywhere not here.
Not going to happen in a million lifetimes.

It took a huge effort to move/relocate residents of Markham homes in West Brighton after Feds pulled the plug. https://www.silive.com/news/2009/03/...taten_isl.html

That event spread some of the worst North Shore had to offer to rest of NYCHA on SI, busting even those that were hanging onto some semblance of decent middle class life.

Todt Hill, Berry and a few others went right down the toilet.

Jersey Street projects house more people than Markham Gardens, and there just isn't enough NYCHA or low income housing on SI to put those residents.

Staten Island is largely a place where people own, as such there isn't a whole lot of rental housing period. Local residents are pissed off as it is about any multifamily housing going up in their area. Try and locate low income or whatever, and pitchforks, bats and other weapons will come out.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:44 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not going to happen in a million lifetimes.

It took a huge effort to move/relocate residents of Markham homes in West Brighton after Feds pulled the plug. https://www.silive.com/news/2009/03/...taten_isl.html

That event spread some of the worst North Shore had to offer to rest of NYCHA on SI, busting even those that were hanging onto some semblance of decent middle class life.

Todt Hill, Berry and a few others went right down the toilet.

Jersey Street projects house more people than Markham Gardens, and there just isn't enough NYCHA or low income housing on SI to put those residents.

Staten Island is largely a place where people own, as such there isn't a whole lot of rental housing period. Local residents are pissed off as it is about any multifamily housing going up in their area. Try and locate low income or whatever, and pitchforks, bats and other weapons will come out.
Hey Bugsy, quick question - how is the area where Markham Gardens was at today?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2020, 07:03 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hey Bugsy, quick question - how is the area where Markham Gardens was at today?
For all intents and purposes area of West Brighton from Alaska east to Elm Street, and from Richmond Terrace to Henderson or Castleton avenues is a straight up hood. In fact even Bement Avenue below Castleton and certainly Henderson is fast joining those ranks.

Years ago West Brighton Houses were actually rather nice, ditto Markham homes, but then things began going down hill with latter then former. By the 1980's Markham Homes bounded by Broadway and North Burgher was a hood below Henderson. Elm Street was still nice and that was gateway to the better parts of West Brighton. No more it's not.

Sisters of Charity and others who redeveloping Markham Homes are having a very hard time filling market rate housing. People all say same thing; they want too much money for what that area and housing is, so they won't buy. Low income/subsidized was another matter, that they had no problems filling.

For some people this new Markham Gardens is a step up, and are quite happy to be there; God bless. But I wouldn't go near place with a barge pole. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Markh..._fb_noscript=1

This sort of stuff was in SI Advance weekly if not daily about old MG apartments, you can throw West Brighton Houses into that mix as well.

https://www.silive.com/news/2014/09/...rom_jul_9.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/06/...p-at-deli.html

https://www.silive.com/news/2019/07/...m-to-jail.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City