Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 08:44 AM

317 posts, read 312,049 times

Advertisements

Live and work in JC, play in NYC. This is the best way to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 09:07 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Regarding Jersey City (or Hoboken), you absolutely would not need a car as they are both very dense cities with their own bars, restaurants, etc. Jersey City is definitely more hip than Hoboken, and actually has a handful of restaurants and cocktail bars that could stand on their own in Manhattan. Hoboken (and I say this as someone who really likes living here) is a sometimes-comical blend of well-to-do young families, just out-of-college party kids living in multi-roommate situations, and on weekends in the lower part of town, your worst fist-pumping jersey stereotypes who take the trains in from the suburbs and create mayhem by the PATH station. The town gets a bad rep, sometimes deservedly so, but if you read any of the police reports on its worst days (St. Patty's, SantaCon, etc), the arrested are almost always 100% out-of-towners.

All of that said, there are tons of people who work in Jersey City or Hoboken and live in Manhattan. It's super easy with PATH, just live near a PATH station in Manhattan. I'd caution you to factor in the extra 4% income tax levied on residents of NYC that you would not pay if you lived in NJ. If I was single, childless and made >$150K, I'd probably live in Manhattan. Less than that I'd probably live in JC. But, assuming that you'll make friends with people at work, I'd probably start by renting in JC and then see where they live (note: nobody will ever come visit you in NJ. Just the reality) and adjust accordingly after your first year is up.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
If you work in JC asnd live in NYC. You'll have to file taxes in both states and NYC will want more taxes than NJ.

If you make $100k and pay $23k in NJ taxes, unless the job is withholding NYC taxes. You will likely owe another $4k for NYC.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 1,929 times
I hadn't even considered the multi-state tax issue, good call! I think it makes the most sense to just find a convenient to work place to rent in JC or Hoboken for the first year, with the plan to figure it out semi-permanently later.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:49 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipley View Post
This is a more complicated question. While this job would be a promotion, I'd also be seeing a cost of living jump, even if I move to JC and not Manhattan. I'm used to having easy access to the "hip" areas of my current city, but I don't know that I'd take advantage enough to justify Manhattan prices on rent, etc. A few of those things are still up in the air.

At this point I haven't decided on my plans yet, but I want to get an idea of what things I'd be taking into consideration.
Opinion: I would start by stopping the drinking as stated in the earlier post. You'll make better decisions. Trust me on this one............

Old 03-03-2020, 05:36 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
How are you over 30 and still running around like an 18 year old? I was done with that lifestyle by the time I hit your age.
What do you want, a special award? It isn't your life so who cares if he still likes the nightlife in his thirties?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:19 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
What do you want, a special award? It isn't your life so who cares if he still likes the nightlife in his thirties?
Seriously. Lots of judgement in this thread for a pretty innocuous post. And not at all uncommon for someone in their late 20's / early 30's in this day and age. Lots of people want to live near restaurants and bars, and housing prices typically reflect that.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:45 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Seriously. Lots of judgement in this thread for a pretty innocuous post. And not at all uncommon for someone in their late 20's / early 30's in this day and age. Lots of people want to live near restaurants and bars, and housing prices typically reflect that.
Yup. No point in living in a place like New York if you turn in at 7pm seven days a week.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:11 AM

821 posts, read 775,499 times
Consider Jersey City or Hoboken simply to avoid paying the 4% NYC City Income Tax. In Jersey City, anywhere near Grove, Exchange Place or the Newport Path Stations is highly desired.

If you really want to live in Manhattan, it’s easy to get to Jersey City via Path or the Ferry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: