Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 09:16 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I wonder how Dial 7 and Carmel are still around..
I have not followed up in a while, but is Uber, and Lyft legal now in NYC? Perhaps there are just people who dont want to break law. Or maybe Dial 7, and Carmel can have an Uber/Lyft account, and use the platform themselves to generate business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 09:28 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
They've been legal for years now. You haven't been hearing about the havoc they've wought with the now imploding taxi industry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have not followed up in a while, but is Uber, and Lyft legal now in NYC? Perhaps there are just people who dont want to break law. Or maybe Dial 7, and Carmel can have an Uber/Lyft account, and use the platform themselves to generate business.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
The change has to come from within in my opinion.

Most black and Latino high school students don't seem to be interested in going down a STEM path. Which part of me thinks is not a big deal, not everyone aspires to work in tech.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:59 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They've been legal for years now. You haven't been hearing about the havoc they've wought with the now imploding taxi industry?
I remember hearing about how some cabbies committed suicide because the competition is hurting their ability to pay off their medallion loan, but I wasnt sure if Uber/Lyft was legal at that time. AirBnB was not legal either, but people have done it.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:52 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
And not a single Black or Latino engineer was to be found....

The problem is they don't pay enough to get the HBCU grads to relocate up here. Most young Black entrepreneurs don't stay in NYC. They go down South. A couple will come back after making it big, to make even more. But this is not a rags to riches city anymore, for most.
Opinion:
Follow the money...
Son of a friend moved to Colorado for a job as a security guard. Yup you heard it right.........nuff said.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:59 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The change has to come from within in my opinion.

Most black and Latino high school students don't seem to be interested in going down a STEM path. Which part of me thinks is not a big deal, not everyone aspires to work in tech.
Opinion:
It isn't a big deal. High I.Q.'s are required to covet these jobs.
If you don't have it utilize your other God given talents in other ways.
There are plenty other fields of employment.The worst one can do is nothing.........................

Old 03-05-2020, 06:21 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Good! I hope it works out.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...cIGAvTQsq39DLw

Tech startup Propel designed a free app that helps people navigate public assistance programs. Founder Jimmy Chen created the business nearly six years ago with help from the Robin Hood Foundation, the city's largest poverty-fighting organization. He decided to base it in Brooklyn.

"There are 40 million Americans who are struggling financially and are using programs like the food stamp program,” Chen told NY1. “And we want our company to look like the people who are using our products."
Here is my thoughts on this. As someone who no longer lives in NYC, and has recently recieved a job interview for a tech company in Long Island City Queens. I can say that some of these tech companies can look far and wide for the best candidate vs looking in their own backyard. Why? Tech companies are based on merit, even though tech companies suppsoed to be woke and liberal, tech companies are willing to the tow the line if the state and city wants them to hire locally for black, brown and women. I noticed that NY1 mentioned Houston and D.C. Houston and D.C are opposite ends of the American black belt. It is a region where 20-25 million African Americans live stretching from Houston up to D.C with Atlanta being its core and hub. Hell, even Atlanta replaced Harlem as the capital of culture for all of Black America. D.C used to be called chocolate city at one point, and Houston also has a high black population. Houston is known for healthcare and tech associated with healthcare, and D.C with government tech support businesses.

I wish Brooklyn consumer based tech busineses luck on finding women, and black and brown talent. And remember, Get Woke, Go Broke.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:37 AM

Not so much high IQ, although that helps, but generally these jobs need a degree and specific technical skills. Blacks and Latinos have these in significantly lower percentages than whites and asians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
It isn't a big deal. High I.Q.'s are required to covet these jobs.
If you don't have it utilize your other God given talents in other ways.
There are plenty other fields of employment.The worst one can do is nothing.........................

Old 03-05-2020, 12:51 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
A lot of those car services places do just that. I have been picked up by ubers that appeared to be working for car service companies as well.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:58 AM

A lot of black car drivers work for multiple services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
A lot of those car services places do just that. I have been picked up by ubers that appeared to be working for car service companies as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: