Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 08:14 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

I've always been intrigued by Pomander Walk and would like to pay a visit one of these days. It's in my bucket list.

https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/ra...ouse-for-sale/
https://www.corcoran.com/nyc-real-es...-1-2-3/5780673

A rare Pomander Walk townhouse was just listed for $2.175 million (first heard through 6sqft.com). The private gated enclave, which looks more like an English village than a New York City street, only has houses available every so often, as there are only 27 of them.

The incredibly enchanting Pomander Walk was built in 1921 to replicate an English street in the outskirts of London. Being a private gated community makes it even cooler, and certainly qualifies Pomander Walk as a hidden gem of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 08:44 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
From the listing, it looks like it last sold in 1997 for $298,500 which I think is about what my parents paid for a house in Queens in the late 80s. $298k for a townhome on the UWS must have been a steal.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:06 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Ugh, I would’ve jumped on this when we were in the market several years ago as I’m really into how kitschy Pomander Walk is.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:01 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I've always been intrigued by Pomander Walk and would like to pay a visit one of these days. It's in my bucket list.

https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/ra...ouse-for-sale/
https://www.corcoran.com/nyc-real-es...-1-2-3/5780673

A rare Pomander Walk townhouse was just listed for $2.175 million (first heard through 6sqft.com). The private gated enclave, which looks more like an English village than a New York City street, only has houses available every so often, as there are only 27 of them.

The incredibly enchanting Pomander Walk was built in 1921 to replicate an English street in the outskirts of London. Being a private gated community makes it even cooler, and certainly qualifies Pomander Walk as a hidden gem of the neighborhood.

Well, I said already that I was not into "whimsical" stuff, plus the village is a bit north of my comfort zone in the UWS (but I did wander in that area last summer actually, and I did catch a peek inside the complex from the street, when a dog-walking resident opened the door to get back in with her dog). I believe Humphrey Bogart used to live there when it was newly built, also some actress of the same era? I can see why some people may like it, but in any case, I don't have $2+ M to spend on it, and if I had it, this would not be my high choice - I'd probably look to buy in something like that Tudor building on W 78th (as mentioned, I used to know someone in the mid 1980s who grew up in that very building, and her parents were still there; I was in there once, and the place was wonderful, real old New York - only Woody Allen missing)... but only if I could get a unit without the view of the ski chalet on the roof :-).

PS- speaking of Woody Allen, I just remembered this!!!! A scene in one of his movies was filmed inside Pomander Walk!!! Some bizarrely awkward situation involving two couples discussing pregnancy or infertility or something like that... was that in "Hannah and Her Sisters"?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:09 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
They all need to be gut reno'd. The layouts are outdated and will not work in modern times.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-16-2020, 12:39 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They all need to be gut reno'd. The layouts are outdated and will not work in modern times.

I agree.

I noticed the storm windows that are "clipped" in on the inside. At least get new double pane windows that look old from the outside. Just because they make something as landmarked, shouldnt mean it can never be updated to today's living standards.

The radiator attached to the ceiling in one of the pictures does not make me happy.

That kitchen is totally circa 2000 something, and in 6 years, with the glass tile backsplash it will look dated. That kitchen does not fit the period of the house.

I dont like these houses, other than looking pretty from the outside, the inside leaves something to be desired, and not for millions, not happening.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:56 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
I dunno about gutted. The bathroom is atrocious, but the kitchen (fix the island) and bedrooms are okay. New paint, furniture and put in central heating and cooling and you're all set .

Old 04-16-2020, 12:59 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Agree that the floor plan is just plain weird. Also the floor plans show one bedroom only eight feet square. This is really a two bedroom +den, not a true three bedroom. It's cute and all, but for that money I'd want three full bedrooms and an en-suite master bedroom bath, not a shared one.

Cannot figure who the buyer for this would be. Not a family, for sure. Not a wealthy retired couple, who would likely prefer one-level living where they could comfortably age in place. Not a celebrity, as the space is too small for real entertaining and lacks the amenities of a major new luxury building. And could an investor rent this out and still make a profit? I dunno. So who would be the buyer?

Old 04-16-2020, 01:02 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Agree that the floor plan is just plain weird. Also the floor plans show one bedroom only eight feet square. This is really a two bedroom +den, not a true three bedroom. It's cute and all, but for that money I'd want three full bedrooms and an en-suite master bedroom bath, not a shared one.

Cannot figure who the buyer for this would be. Not a family, for sure. Not a wealthy retired couple, who would likely prefer one-level living where they could comfortably age in place. Not a celebrity, as the space is too small for real entertaining and lacks the amenities of a major new luxury building. And could an investor rent this out and still make a profit? I dunno. So who would be the buyer?
Me.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:04 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

An individualistic/eccentric person, who may or may not be a celebrity. That is the description of a large subset of people who are, eg, British (and thus disposed to like this architecture anyway). I could totally see Noel Fielding buying it :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City