Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 06:53 AM

37,264 posts, read 39,557,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I think the left is going to try to push the lockdown as far into the future as possible
Who is this unified left you’re referring to? Like the entire left you’re imagining doesn’t include any corporations or people who are under economic duress from the lockdown? Like states and municipalities with “leftist” governments aren’t seeing budget freefalls? There’s some basic reasoning that’s getting short-circuited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 08:12 AM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Fredo's big brother has gotten himself and this state into a large problem.

Each day things remain on lock down state and local governments are losing millions in revenue. Situation varies by household, but a good number are having a tough time as well. DOL/UI is useless at this point because they are swamped.

Albany and NYC along with elsewhere in state are hoping federal government will bail NYS out, in essence financing this prolonged shut down. Good luck with that....

Meanwhile all the various people Cuomo and NYC elected officials keep telling to come here; the poor, illegals and others who were barely surviving before covid-19, now are up the creek without a paddle.

Many of them were living paycheck to paycheck anyway, now a good number of those paychecks are gone. But like everyone else they still have bills.

Basically so far Fredo's answer has been various moratoriums or whatever that merely kick the can down road to June or August. Sooner or later however people are going to get giant a$$ed rent bills that they just won't be able to pay.

Meanwhile all this social distance nonsense likely means plenty of places that hired low income people aren't going to open again if ever. If they do things likely will be different (read as in needing smaller staff), so there is going to be unemployment.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:13 AM

37,264 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcbom View Post
Whata the problem? Everyone should have 3 years in cash savings as if they were fired and not employed for 3 years.

Why 3 years? Because great depression lasted that long. ....but I get it. People become overwhelmed with the bad possibilities occurring so they just give it a blind eye.

Then when times like this happen, you hear them complaining. Matter of fact, this coronavirus thing is helping me out. Now I don't have to pay the mta fee for transit.
We've got like two years of savings before dipping into retirement funds and that's excessive compared to the people around us. We're also lucky to still have our jobs even if takehome will almost certainly be lower this year.

Great Depression was banks collapsing and a lot of people not able to pull their money out as well as larger macroeconomic issues with speculation and monetary supply issues, right? I don't think people have two years of savings stashed in their mattresses in cash, and the factors behind this are very different from the Great Depression, so I reckon there are large differences in regards to effects and what an optimal response would be.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:25 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,245,672 times
My job is dunzo until September if I’m lucky. Guess no rent for my landlord.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:27 AM

450 posts, read 475,696 times
Cuomo is a massive hypocrite. He constantly talks about saving lives to extend this lockdown yet he had no problem signing that abortion law and sending corona patients to nursing homes.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:56 AM

34,149 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...ve-order-cuomo

I knew this was coming and I bet it'll be extended even after June 6th. If I am wrong, I am wrong and I DO HOPE that I am but lets take some bets.
Who cares

Let me guess you're going to go to every restaurant and bar when this is over

Yawn

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-10-2020, 09:08 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,486,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Who cares
People that work and have families to support. Or Maybe the 30 Million+ who lost jobs. So a few people care.

Must be nice to be in your situation where these things don't affect you

Old 05-10-2020, 09:09 AM

34,149 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
People that work and have families to support. Or Maybe the 30 Million+ who lost jobs. So a few people care.

Must be nice to be in your situation where these things don't affect you
If I lost my job, I would be out looking for another job, or I would just start my own business

I have yet to see a post about anybody doing a job search who recently lost their job

Ppl arent even looking

You can make $300 a day just delivering groceries to old ppl around your way

They text you the order, Cashapp you the money, you leave it front their door

Smh

Wasting time and energy complaining is what most ppl do. You keep feeling sorry for them.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-10-2020, 09:11 AM

14,069 posts, read 13,989,360 times
More people fleeing NYC soon

Old 05-10-2020, 10:15 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,486,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If I lost my job, I would be out looking for another job, or I would just start my own business

I have yet to see a post about anybody doing a job search who recently lost their job

Ppl arent even looking

You can make $300 a day just delivering groceries to old ppl around your way

They text you the order, Cashapp you the money, you leave it front their door

Smh

Wasting time and energy complaining is what most ppl do. You keep feeling sorry for them.
Which is fine and I agree but those are not long term jobs or secure jobs.

If someone owned a barber shop that employed 10 people and you are forced to stay closed, I doubt delivering groceries is a solid solution for that person or his/her employees that depended on him/her to make their living. You are over simplifying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City