Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 AM

11 posts, read 57,586 times

Advertisements

Hi. Okay so I'm trying to decide on a place in the Bronx. I am basically transfering from SUNY Old Westbury in Long Island to SUNY Purchase in Westchester. But I would live in the Bronx because I'm originally from there. Morris Park actually. But I found a place that I might rent and it is on Matthews Avenue intersecting with Allerton. I've been on Allerton recently and it still seems the same pretty much mixed. The italians own the houses to the east and the Pelham Parkway PJ's close by and the closer you get to White Plains Road the worse it gets. But the area is still safe and decent though right? I mean I always thought once you got to Boston Road it got bad. But I mean it gets bad when you go furthur up I guess. Its still pretty mixed around this area up until you pass the Burke Ave el train. Any information would be helpful but I'm just taking a guess at what I think it is like here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 10:46 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I think Morris Park is safer than Allerton. Allerton has that faded out appearance in too many places. Morris Park is cleaner. Why not Morris Park instead?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 25,620 times
Default Just moved in not so far.

I am white and I just moved to a house not so far fromt he Allerton Section.
Willett to be exact. I have noticed that my block alone is very diverse we have several different nationalities and everyone seems to be very respectful. I think that if you choose to move in the Allerton area you will be fine but just like anything else stay alert and keep to yourself. I live very close to White Plains Rd however I only go there when I need to and the Park
is right down the street as well. Anyone familar with Willett Would love to hear your feedback

Old 05-01-2008, 12:50 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
Allerton east of Laconia is pretty good, IMO.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Stay south of allerton and east of white plains rd. Careful after dark, the freaks come out at night

Old 05-03-2008, 01:15 PM

okay, im also looking into a couple of places near there as well. one is on cruger and intersects with allerton but is going toward pelham parkway. i know the closer u get to gun hill the worse it is. and another that im looking at is on barnes intersecting with allerton.i believe cruger avenue around there is albanian. im white , italian so basically i dont want to live where the jamiacans are. when your in nyc you need to be sure your in an area where no one will bother you depending on who you are. thats all.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bX_718 View Post
okay, im also looking into a couple of places near there as well. one is on cruger and intersects with allerton but is going toward pelham parkway. i know the closer u get to gun hill the worse it is. and another that im looking at is on barnes intersecting with allerton.i believe cruger avenue around there is albanian. im white , italian so basically i dont want to live where the jamiacans are. when your in nyc you need to be sure your in an area where no one will bother you depending on who you are. thats all.
In Allerton, you'll find a lot of diversity. There are Italians, Albanians, Indians, Cambodians, Chinese, Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Koreans, West Africans, Mexicans, and even one or two hipsters. I think what "saved" Allerton are the single family homes along Allerton Ave. Also, the Allerton Business Association helped keep the neighborhood organized. It is a tight knit community but is always welcoming towards new faces

Last edited by BXGEAR; 05-03-2008 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
All the Italian neighborhoods are over in that area. Pelham Parkway, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Country Club, and Throggs Neck.

All of them are pretty decent neighborhoods. Just make sure you like the building and block that your apartment is on and I think you should be good.

Just remember to stay away from the 2 if you're looking around Allerton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bX_718 View Post

Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 PM

yeah thats what i thought. how far is it okay to go up? i used to know people that lived way up in the 200's but i know gun hill road is no good now. i see alot of rentals far up like 214th and bronxwood

Old 05-05-2008, 11:08 AM

139 posts, read 923,791 times
man allerton as a area is good man i see more of the same fairy tales is going on here.people who dont chill in these neighborhoods spoken on but choose to speak on these areas just from judgement of passing by.pelham pkwy projects is not dangerous at all.most of the jew's in the area aint having that madness going on in or around they community..they will be a nice fit for you dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City