Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2020, 05:50 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,773,686 times

Advertisements

Man, still going strong at 80. Age is just a number.
Amazing how the marathon has grown to it's current popularity today.

https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/ga...h-anniversary/

Gary Muhrcke became the first New York City Marathon winner on September 13, 1970. Now he is 80, and to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his win, a took a lap around Central Park on September 13, 2020.

Only 127 runners participated in the original marathon, and Muhrcke was among the 55 who finished – taking first place when he completed the 26.2 mile course in about 2.5 hours. Now, over 50,000 runners compete each year. Between 1970-1975, the race consisted of several loops around Central Park.

While this year’s marathon has been cancelled due to the pandemic, there will be a virtual race between October 17 and November 1. More info about this year’s virtual marathon can be found at nyrr.org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 06:11 PM

5,691 posts, read 2,618,869 times
Good post

Last edited by 90sSitcom; 09-13-2020 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: Since I can't rep you, you got a shout out

Old 09-13-2020, 06:32 PM

Thanks! I find it so encouraging (and amazing) to hear people still running when they're no longer in their 20's or 30's. It means I've run out of excuses.

https://www.pix11.com/2019/10/12/86-...ntain-of-youth

One New York City marathoner may have discovered the fountain of youth, running! At 86 years young, she's a racked-up records, and is currently the fastest in her age group.

She ran her first marathon when she was 69 years old. She currently holds the U.S. marathon record for women ages 75 to 79, at 3 hours and 46 minutes! Bedard says no one comes close to beating her in her age category. “I love to be first.”

Old 09-13-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Thanks! I find it so encouraging (and amazing) to hear people still running when they're no longer in their 20's or 30's. It means I've run out of excuses.
I love hearing athlete stories in general. I find them inspiring and motivating. I'm a big fan of watching the Olympics, I find myself watching some sports I'd never normally watch and really get into it.
Quote:
https://www.pix11.com/2019/10/12/86-...ntain-of-youth

One New York City marathoner may have discovered the fountain of youth, running! At 86 years young, she's a racked-up records, and is currently the fastest in her age group.

She ran her first marathon when she was 69 years old. She currently holds the U.S. marathon record for women ages 75 to 79, at 3 hours and 46 minutes! Bedard says no one comes close to beating her in her age category. “I love to be first.”
That's an amazing time, in general and for someone in that age group ...puts me to shame. Though I have hopes of running again after I have my knee surgery in a few weeks. Ok lets be honest I still won't be able to pull a time like that.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I love hearing athlete stories in general. I find them inspiring and motivating. I'm a big fan of watching the Olympics, I find myself watching some sports I'd never normally watch and really get into it.

That's an amazing time, in general and for someone in that age group ...puts me to shame. Though I have hopes of running again after I have my knee surgery in a few weeks. Ok lets be honest I still won't be able to pull a time like that.
I do too. I got really into watching snowboarding at the last winter olympics. It's amazing what these guys (and gals) can do.

And yeah, her speed is amazing! For any age. She's faster than Puffy Combs when he ran the marathon and he's a guy. And...! Don't know how old he is but I'm sure he ain't 86. I think some people have specific "runners DNA". I'm sure you have to train and eat right and all those things but I think some people have better genes in running long distance. But, no matter what you still have to put in the work of training.

Too bad about your knee surgery. Hope you have a speedy recovery. A colleague of mine had knee surgery and her recovery time wasn't so bad and she was up and running half marathons in no time.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:03 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
shame this year is cancelled. Would be nice to reunite and guide my disabled marathoner again for his 23rd consecutive NYCM at the age of 70. There are some amazing athletes out there.

Old 09-14-2020, 03:21 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Great post!

Old 09-15-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I do too. I got really into watching snowboarding at the last winter olympics. It's amazing what these guys (and gals) can do.

And yeah, her speed is amazing! For any age. She's faster than Puffy Combs when he ran the marathon and he's a guy. And...! Don't know how old he is but I'm sure he ain't 86. I think some people have specific "runners DNA". I'm sure you have to train and eat right and all those things but I think some people have better genes in running long distance. But, no matter what you still have to put in the work of training.
Oh yah training is like a full time job. The older I get the less time I have had to train for it. When I work, I work easily 12 hour days. So while I'm always in good shape, I'm done many a marathons, "untrained". But if your in decent shape, it becomes mental after a while. In real life think how many miles you get in daily without even exercising, just going about your daily life.

Quote:
Too bad about your knee surgery. Hope you have a speedy recovery. A colleague of mine had knee surgery and her recovery time wasn't so bad and she was up and running half marathons in no time.
Thanks I'm actually super excited. I've been waiting months to do it, I just want it done and over and to be able to resume normal activities and being as active as I like. Next week is like Christmas to me. I can't wait .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: