Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 10:22 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times

Advertisements

It adds the human plight element to the decisions to lockdown, too often overlooked by the general public.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...z4e-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 03:42 AM

5,831 posts, read 2,955,519 times
Bar culture has been on decline in quality for some time now. Bar's character is defined by its clients and public these days is just mediocre at best. There are less characters these days. Sure some are still awesome, the little neighborhood joints, but you have to live near them to feel at home.

With that said. I feel sad that the little places will die off, can you imagine a bar at Fridays being packed? Hilarious.

I feel lucky I outgrew bars in my late 20s.

Old 10-19-2020, 05:34 AM

16,090 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Response: Opinion

Unless bars turn to selling health tonics....they are doomed. I was offered years ago to put my money in a watering hole.
My inner instincts told me this is only a fad belonging to the greatest generation and boomers and will so too meet it's timely
demise. Covid hastened its inevitable extinction........................

Bar Owners.....Revamp .........or run while there is still a chance.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:06 AM

6,465 posts, read 3,157,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It adds the human plight element to the decisions to lockdown, too often overlooked by the general public.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...z4e-story.html
That is indeed, a powerful, first hand article, describing the plight of MANY bar/restaurant owners. My wife and I are both retired, having spent more than 40 years at our respective careers. At our age, one of the things we look forward to, is a pleasant, relaxing dinner, on a Saturday evening. Over the years, we've put together a list of 7-8 restaurants that we enjoy going to, and visit, on a regular basis.

These restaurants are not the large, "national franchise" venues, except for one, that's near home and is a good place to hit in inclement weather. The places we regularly go to, accomodate 40-50 people, therefore when they're ordered to cut that number in half, how can they be expected to be able to turn a profit? Yes, right now, in western NY, some places are offering "outdoor dining" on patios, decks, and in some cases, "sidewalk set-backs" in front of the restaurant. But that will soon be impossible, as winter is approaching, as well as "peaceful protesters" are still being disruptive, in some areas.

Who, exactly, is going to cover the living expenses of these formerly hard working individuals, who, through no fault of their own, are suddenly out of work? Keep in mind, most restaurants, even small venues, if they're nonetheless successful, employ at least 15-20 people. Multiply that by the thousands of bars/restaurants that are now closed, in every state, and that's a frightening number of unemployed.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:21 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

Who, exactly, is going to cover the living expenses of these formerly hard working individuals, who, through no fault of their own, are suddenly out of work? Keep in mind, most restaurants, even small venues, if they're nonetheless successful, employ at least 15-20 people. Multiply that by the thousands of bars/restaurants that are now closed, in every state, and that's a frightening number of unemployed.
It is, as you allude to, a ticking time bomb.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

Unless bars turn to selling health tonics....they are doomed. I was offered years ago to put my money in a watering hole.
My inner instincts told me this is only a fad belonging to the greatest generation and boomers and will so too meet it's timely

The bar as a concept has been around since antiquity, so the claim that bars were a greatest generation invention is itself more than silly.

People have been drinking alcohol for more than 12,000 years, i don't think for a second that bars or pubs are at any risk of "extinction." What's frustrating is that local and state governments are willing to kill people's livelihoods as a political maneuver.

Small businesses have been thrown under the bus, and it's heartbreaking to see otherwise hardworking and enterprising people lose their livelihoods in a matter of months. The American Dream that was so touted after WW2 is a distant memory.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,606,390 times
The authoritarian liberals have decided that bars are not a necessity so they wil happily let them die in the name of "safety". Cuomo at least lets bars sort of be open outside of NYC, but he has still have made no progress towards opening them in NYC.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:35 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtifishul View Post
The bar as a concept has been around since antiquity, so the claim that bars were a greatest generation invention is itself more than silly.

People have been drinking alcohol for more than 12,000 years, i don't think for a second that bars or pubs are at any risk of "extinction." What's frustrating is that local and state governments are willing to kill people's livelihoods as a political maneuver.

Small businesses have been thrown under the bus, and it's heartbreaking to see otherwise hardworking and enterprising people lose their livelihoods in a matter of months. The American Dream that was so touted after WW2 is a distant memory.
Exactly. They survived prohibition. They thrived during prohibition, actually.

As long as there are alcoholics, there will be bars. Yes, some alcoholics drink only at home. Some only drink alone. But many people's entire social life revolves around the combination of alcohol and other alcoholics with whom to spend time consuming alcohol.

Bars will always survive.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:14 PM

3,351 posts, read 1,240,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

bars aren't remotely fads
what a horrible take

Old 10-19-2020, 08:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
At first, I thought this about a man, but it a female from Ireland nonetheless. Or in this day in age perhaps not oh well.

Anyways, she bought a bar at the height of RE market in NYC. That is never good idea. Manhattan is way oversaturated with eating and drinking establishments. But then again, there is really no where good to put a bar.

The money she saved she should have put into something else. Maybe just throw into mutual fund. Or buy an investment property.

A man from Ireland with no credential (author dropped out of college) will likely have harder time here than a female. Female can find jobs in restaurants. Cute white females always in demand. Pasty white boy with accent and no credentials no one wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City