Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,237 times

Advertisements

Well most White kids who actually did grow up in the City are more than likely going to graduate from College as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 PM

85 posts, read 415,465 times
To answer the OP's question bluntly, it is not politically correct to say anything generally about any minority race. However, it is openly accepted in our society to say derogatory things, and even legislate against, white people, especially white males. As proof, look at affirmative action, and preferential treatment minority students get in the college admissions process.

I am not trying to open a can of worms, but the truth is the truth.

Were one to express the same feelings about a neighborhood declining due to increasing minority presence, he would immediately be labeled a racist and condemned. In that same neighborhood, if the white population increases, they are automatically labeled as yuppies and not liked due to the fact that many may be paying market rate for their dwelling, and not on an assistance program, thus causing rental prices and real estate prices to increase, leaving less room for section 8 etc.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
Yuppies are not those who "just get by".

Ever seen American Psycho? It's people like that. The ones that spend money, without worrying about repercussions. Why? Bluntly, because there are none.

Just think "High-End".

Sorry but on another post I saw that you find the middle class annoying because they don't pamper their kids with multiple cars. Please tell me that is your form of sarcasm....

I can completely understand any dislike of upper-class people with that type of attitude.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:24 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Sorry but on another post I saw that you find the middle class annoying because they don't pamper their kids with multiple cars. Please tell me that is your form of sarcasm....

I can completely understand any dislike of upper-class people with that type of attitude.
They're not annoying because they don't pamper their kids with cars. They're annoying because they are so jealous of the ones who can afford to do things. And the digs about clothing are so lame and obnoxious. They say that abercrombie is overly expensive. It's not. The jacket I am wearing now (g-star) is $160. And, that's not even expensive. It all just adds up and is annoying. That's all. (:

Old 05-03-2008, 09:29 PM

35 posts, read 110,852 times
Quote:
I've seen alot of hate on here againt white college educated yuppies moving into your city. I always thought NYC was a city that welcomes everyone. Is a white, single, college-educated male welcome in your city or is he another dreadful yuppie? Perhaps I'm missing something in the definition though-if I am please inform me. NYC opens international immigrants with open arms but does it treat young professional Americans with the distaste I've noticed oin this forum? I'm an American, if it matters.
I suspect its social class tension compounded by an increasingly tough economic environment. Yes, that dreaded taboo topic CLASS that we are so scared to discuss. "They" might look upon you as making too much money that you don't deserve (however false it might be). Also, just by your mannersims and language you unwittingly assert your social status (upper, upper-middle, etc.). This again gives rise to feelings of inferiority in many who have not acheived that status because they have different values or familial upbringing. Class is just not about money. Its about some money & education, language, tastes, mannerisms, clothing, food, accents, etc.. The people in the lower rungs are probably stuck in dead end low jobs that have no autonomy, pathetic pay, no respect, depressing work environments, no job security, high stress and no degree of control whatsoever. So they basically feel like waste matter compared to folks in the upper rungs. So then in a desperate attempt to gain respect they are forced to find pride in their profession, however miniscule & illusory it might be. Therefore, "they" will bellow out that it is "they" who do "real work" with their "hands" and not the latte sipping sissies with Polo shirts in ivory towers. When the stress gets to them as it always does, they take it out on the ones they resent (and of course their kith & kin too. Sad but true). Understanding how to manage stress might as well be like learning quantum physics. In some cases such enlightment is a luxury also, for many of them just don't have the time or the inclination to do so. They'd rather resort to machismo by being aggressive, vulgar, loud, direct & challenging, most of which are tell tale signs of most of the "low rungers". For the most part, diplomacy & finesse are non-existent terms in their dictionary. Quite simply & rather foolishly, they are taking out their resentment and anger on you.

Easier said than done, just ignore "them" like foul smelling waste matter.
Chill mate!

I live in Norfolk and its just as bad out here in this social trash infested cesspool. Most well educated natives say the same thing.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
They're not annoying because they don't pamper their kids with cars. They're annoying because they are so jealous of the ones who can afford to do things. And the digs about clothing are so lame and obnoxious. They say that abercrombie is overly expensive. It's not. The jacket I am wearing now (g-star) is $160. And, that's not even expensive. It all just adds up and is annoying. That's all. (:
I can understand that jealosy can be annoying. But so is flaunting wealth, if you do it in a certain manner you convey that they are inferior to you as people. I'll go ahead and assume you don't actually feel your money makes you better than anyone. And if you earn less than a certain amount, than yes even Abercrombie is expensive to some of the unwashed masses.

So did you earn your millions playing the market, or did you start your own business, metro?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I left Stuyvesant Town in 1984 paying $550 for a 2BR. The decontrolled units now up for rent go for about $3,500. I once considered returning there but the rent said a big "NO"!

Made me feel a bit sad and maybe resentful of the politicians who allowed apartments to be decontrolled/destabilized.
For once, it wasn't the pols who were to blame. You can point the finger (as I do) to Met Life for failing to protect the working- and middle-class nature of that city-within-a-city.

Quote:
Ever seen American Psycho? It's people like that.
Ever hear of satire? It's a form of fiction.

Quote:
I can understand that jealosy can be annoying. But so is flaunting wealth, if you do it in a certain manner you convey that they are inferior to you as people. I'll go ahead and assume you don't actually feel your money makes you better than anyone. And if you earn less than a certain amount, than yes even Abercrombie is expensive to some of the unwashed masses.

So did you earn your millions playing the market, or did you start your own business, metro?
Ah, but flaunting wealth in one context may be middle-of-the-road in others. You may look like you're flaunting as you leave your place in the morning but at your office seem basic and unostentatious. It's all relative.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 PM

112 posts, read 325,847 times
Good. I can't wait until all the rent stabiliized are destabilized and forced out of their apartments by the invasion of hipsters and yuppies. I eat out a few times a week, shop at Barney's and wear $400 jeans, go to yoga classes, drink Starbucks, travel frequently, go to galleries, drive a BMW and I'm not ashamed of it. I'm very proud of my life. I hate the negativity behind the "yuppification" of New York and I hope it continues to force all those bitter, jealous people out of New York. I can't wait until Harlem is restored to the middle class/upper-middle neighborhood it used to and should be and I can't wait until the goverment stops rewarding laziness. This is a free market and if you don't like how insanely expensive, high-end and filthy rich New York is becomming you are free to move down South. Actually I encourage you to do so. And I totally love the animosity I get from the bitter and displaced!!! It's my fault I'm successful! Bad me!! I should be ashamed I am educated, have money and enjoy luxury!! Bad bad me!! Waaaaa, cry me a river!!! I also love my wealthy black friend in his 20s who's never worked a day in his life and parties while daddy foots the $4,000 a month rent and $40,000 NYU tuition is just "cool" and gets a pass but white males with money or without are all yuppies!! And please pardon my lack of paragraphs, I'm typing this from my yuppie BlackBerry. Ciao!

Last edited by Materialism; 05-03-2008 at 11:22 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
I've seen alot of hate on here againt white college educated yuppies moving into your city. I always thought NYC was a city that welcomes everyone. Is a white, single, college-educated male welcome in your city or is he another dreadful yuppie? Perhaps I'm missing something in the definition though-if I am please inform me. NYC opens international immigrants with open arms but does it treat young professional Americans with the distaste I've noticed oin this forum? I'm an American, if it matters.
There is PLENTY of discrimation against immigrants and plenty of people trash-talking immigrants, etc. It's true that lately on this board there have been some extremely vocal members speaking out about their hate for and disgust for yuppies and anyone who is going to displace the people that were here before. This is being rehashed over and over and over on this board.

I think it boils down to people, in general, not liking those who come in to displace them. In the case of the yuppies coming in, it's the working class/middle class who feel displaced and they feel this way because of rents rising and amenities changing to places that are higher priced etc.

In the case of one immigrant group coming in and dominating an area and changing a formerly white, English-speaking area into a place that is no longer majority white, with stores hanging signs in another language and products coming from another culture - yes, people will complain about that too because that's also a form of displacement. If you're used to having all English-speaking establishments that cater to Americans and all the sudden all the signs are in Spanish and the food and knick-knacks are coming from Colombia or the Dominican Republic, then some would feel they want to complain about that.

Complaints all around.

Another point I want to make is that this board is not exactly the best place to do research if you want to understand the heartbeat of the city. As you could imagine, this type of board might especially attract people who have complaints about others - as what better place is there to get on your soap box and rant and rave?

If I were you, I really wouldn't take the "unwelcoming" comments seriously. Just come to NY and make a life that you can enjoy.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Materialism View Post
Good. I can't wait until all the rent stabiliized are destabilized and forced out of their apartments by the invasion of hipsters and yuppies. I eat out a few times a week, shop at Barney's and wear $400 jeans, go to yoga classes, drink Starbucks, travel frequently, go to galleries, drive a BMW and I'm not ashamed of it. I'm very proud of my life. I hate the negativity behind the "yuppification" of New York and I hope it continues to force all those bitter, jealous people out of New York. I can't wait until Harlem is restored to the middle class/upper-middle neighborhood it used to and should be and I can't wait until the goverment stops rewarding laziness. This is a free market and if you don't like how insanely expensive, high-end and filthy rich New York is becomming you are free to move down South. Actually I encourage you to do so. And I totally love the animosity I get from the bitter and displaced!!! It's my fault I'm successful! Bad me!! I should be ashamed I am educated, have money and enjoy luxury!! Bad bad me!! Waaaaa, cry me a river!!! I also love my wealthy black friend in his 20s who's never worked a day in his life and parties while daddy foots the $4,000 a month rent and $40,000 NYU tuition is just "cool" and gets a pass but white males with money or without are all yuppies!! And please pardon my lack of paragraphs, I'm typing this from my yuppie BlackBerry. Ciao!
This is what I meant. The attitude of deprecating the working class citizens could well backfire if riots occur.

Remember, the NYPD, NYFD, National Guard and other support folks are primarily working class too.

I'm white, male, and college educated but can no longer afford NYC because of the end of rent controls. The middle class stabilize a neighborhood, and their absence sets things up for the poor to turn on the rich grabbing what they want by force.

When the next widespread power failure hits, some of the new "gentry" will wish the middle class was still around to protect the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City