Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 01:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Hey I'm not the instagram generation and I don't want to live this way.
Not everyone wants to live the life style you choose.
Live what way? You don't want to wear a mask on public transportation or in places of business?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 01:26 PM

5,816 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Does wearing underwear count as wearing a mask?
I know some people go commando often enough.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:30 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Java, what's your opinion on the state of the les? Longtime friend just moved from there stating the area has taken a massive nosedive.
It's not as great as pre-covid for sure. Some places have closed, though most have stayed open. No clubs are open, which sucks. Outdoor dining is a thing, and a good number of places are actually doing indoor. Nowhere is crowded except places like Marshal Stack when they have live music playing. Essentially, the nightlife is pretty mediocre right now, but I'm friends with the bartenders of the bars I go to usually, so I'm not normally there to meet people I don't already know. Marshal Stack I barely pay for what I get so... Also a new bowling alley, and I LOVE to bowl.

A huge plus though, since we've been eating out a lot less, is that the grocery store offerings that were growing pre-covid are still there. 2 Key Food (one 24/7), Foodtown, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Union Market, Essex Market, Chinatown supermarkets, etc. etc. are all within walking distance. Amazing! I'm finding it one of the saner places to 'exist' during covid. Where I'm at and where I go, there haven't been any protests or whatever as well since we've been back from Japan (mid July), but I think that's just luck.

I took a look at Stamford because I had a lot of fun with my friend there before he left. The Fairway closed down and I can't figure out where people get their groceries downtown outside of the Target. Even in places like Briarwood, I'd hate to walk up that hill every time I need milk. I absolutely refuse to drive after the 2 hour commute I had 2012-2014.

Another peculiar thing though is that of the areas I'd like to try living vs LES (Forest Hills, Hudson Heights, etc.), the cheapest apartments are down here sans southern Brooklyn, but I can't with the anti-mask crowd. I found a 1bd for $1500 on Allen St, which I used to live on for 3 years. Sticking with my lottery apartment for now, which is more expensive and immensely nicer, but I have my eyes open.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:35 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Live what way? You don't want to wear a mask on public transportation or in places of business?
No You don't care if you can go to a restaurant or a bar. Others do. I'm the fly by the seat of my pants girl. I decide to go to Europe today and leave tomorrow, I make plans now for tonight to meet friends out and wind up coming home after the sun rises, I get called today for a job that will last a month and starts tomorrow...etc.
Your a family man with a wife and kids. You go work 9-5, 5 days a week so maybe your life is routine and you don't need or want fun and entertainment in your life but many people don't live that way. It's more then about being able to go to a bar or restaurant, its peoples have lost lives they live. You don't see it that way because you live the typical life.

Old 11-11-2020, 01:38 PM

1,399 posts, read 891,728 times
Glad it's working out for you. My personal opinion on that area is it stopped making sense due to covid destruction of bars, clubs, restuarants, nightly curfews etc

90ssitcom your life is soooooo exciting.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:08 PM

By the way Cuomo Just announced restaurants and gyms must now be closed by 10pm effective Friday.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
No You don't care if you can go to a restaurant or a bar. Others do. I'm the fly by the seat of my pants girl. I decide to go to Europe today and leave tomorrow, I make plans now for tonight to meet friends out and wind up coming home after the sun rises, I get called today for a job that will last a month and starts tomorrow...etc.
Your a family man with a wife and kids. You go work 9-5, 5 days a week so maybe your life is routine and you don't need or want fun and entertainment in your life but many people don't live that way. It's more then about being able to go to a bar or restaurant, its peoples have lost lives they live. You don't see it that way because you live the typical life.
Because my life is routine, I don't need fun or entertainment in my life? Our vacation got cancelled this year because of this. But I don't worry about what I don't have control over, that's the difference. Crying about it won't do anything. We all have to adjust for the common good.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-11-2020, 02:23 PM

5,816 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Quote:
By the way Cuomo Just announced restaurants and gyms must now be closed by 10pm effective Friday.
You didnt know? Covids come out at night and hunt people down after 10pm.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:32 PM

1,399 posts, read 891,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
You didnt know? Covids come out at night and hunt people down after 10pm.
Looks like covid takes off on thursdays. Crappy schedule to be working the weekend.

Old 11-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Because my life is routine, I don't need fun or entertainment in my life? Our vacation got cancelled this year because of this. But I don't worry about what I don't have control over, that's the difference. Crying about it won't do anything. We all have to adjust for the common good.
Hey your the one who said you don't go to bars or restaurants.
You just pointed out your vacation got cancelled this year but what about the peoples jobs and lives got cancelled this year. You may be complacent and as you say, not cry over it. But others aren't and believe in sticking up for themselves and their lives. You want to live in a world like that by all means go right ahead but I will keep fighting the good fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City