Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 03:38 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,640,769 times

Advertisements

I was on a crowded train today, mind you it was Crowded due to delays on the line, but I felt really irritated by the crowded conditions. I’ve come to expect only low to moderate crowds onboard the subway during the past 7 or 8 months. There are plenty of silver linings to the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 05:26 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Streets and highways started getting more congested when summer started.

Driving from April through June was the best
Response:Opinion

Agreed......The Beach Rush is unavoidable ..................and with so many people home?

A bee line right to the sands..................

Old 12-04-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Had to go to queens at 5 pm. No slow downs there and back, I was amazed, usually its stand still traffic. Life is so much better with less people.
I can get with this de population idea Billy Gates has been pushing.
Response: Opinion

You are seeing it as well. You must have driven as much as I have .....

Old 12-04-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Your daily experience is that the roads are empty. The cause of why the roads are empty is your opinion.

I don't take the subway every day anymore. According to your logic, because I haven't been on the subway's daily, I moved out of NY. I haven't moved out.

You don't know why the roads are empty. You suspect the reason. Some of it may be true. Let's see what happens after everyone is vaccinated and give it a year for the city to recover economically. Then you will have your answer.

Fact
300,000 people have had a change of address (according to the Postal Service) to outside of New York.

Fact
Thousands upon thousands are now working from home.

Opinion
I travel the roads daily and immediately saw a drop of cars on road starting back in March 2020.
It was a ghost town. Traffic has picked up but nowhere near the traffic ,congestion and stifling atmosphere
prior to March 2020.

Conclusion:
You are right. I don't know why the roads are empty.
You are right. I suspect a reason and I think it's a pretty good one.
I'm surprised no mention anywhere else.

I disagree . Everyone will not get vaccinated because it is not a requirement by Law.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-04-2020 at 05:49 AM..

Old 12-04-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG2020 View Post
I don't know where all of you are finding empty roads! I'm driving around every weekend and it's as busy as ever. And finding parking in my neighborhood is horrible again. Maybe fewer people on the road during the week, because they've gone back on the subway...
Excerpt:I'm driving around every weekend and it's as busy as ever.

Rush hour is rush hour no matter how you slice it because of there
being more roads in the area you describe as being busy.

It's the time in between that will show you significant change.

Excerpt: And finding parking in my neighborhood is horrible again.

Again....There are more cars than parking spaces in the area you describe
as having no parking.

I would suspect with more people working from home less parking space availability.

In my eyes.......the pleasantries experienced in driving since March 2020 on
less traveled highways are indicative of decrease in motorists as a result of
these same people moving out of State and working from home.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I was on a crowded train today, mind you it was Crowded due to delays on the line, but I felt really irritated by the crowded conditions. I’ve come to expect only low to moderate crowds onboard the subway during the past 7 or 8 months. There are plenty of silver linings to the pandemic.
Great observation.
MTA utilizing this ( down ) time to perform much needed work during working hours at the expense of the
riding public. Irritating a few thousand compared to hundreds of thousands is an expendable gamble.
I have many friends, still working who have witnessed a significant drop in subway and bus service
and seat availability on every train during the hours they ride.

You said it best: there are plenty of silver lining to the pandemic.............where transportation is concerned..........Timing is key...

Old 12-04-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Yes less devastating shutdowns but still not optimal compared to peak pandemic

Agreed!

As kids would say................That was stupid crazy!

I remembered driving throughout all the 5 boroughs. Ghost town after ghost town............

Old 12-04-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
The light roadway traffic is 90% due to closed or largely closed schools. This was evident in pre-COVID times with holidays where no one had off other than schools and municipal workers (i.e., Columbus Day). It is also evident by the fact that "rush hour" starts mid-afternoon. The Manhattanites that have left the city didn't drive

We cannot dismiss any motorists. All motorists count. You named a few which is great.
There are many more including the 300,000 that have left the State of New York. There has
to be ( great odds to bet on ) at least 100,000 among them that own a motor vehicle....

That's quite a number of cars...............

Old 12-04-2020, 10:47 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Response:Opinion

Agreed......The Beach Rush is unavoidable ..................and with so many people home?

A bee line right to the sands..................
There was nothing open, so my area was flooded all summer. Street parking was virtually non-existent all weekend for the summer. Not on my block, but in the more tourist-oriented parts of Rockaway.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-04-2020, 11:25 AM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
I don't feel this way when I drive around 4:00PM and 9:00PM, same ol same ol. Two days ago it took me 50-something minutes to drive from the Upper-East Side to the East Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City