Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 6,442 times

Advertisements

My wife and our four little kids are moving to Manhattan next summer. We are excited.... and nervous! We would like to be a 15-20 minute walk from the UN, in a neighborhood which is kid-friendly and might have 4 bedroom apartments. Please let me know if there are any neighborhoods you’d recommend and any other recommendations on how we can go about finding a place that may be furnished.

Thank you so much,

Lewis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 10:26 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
It's not within walking distance to the UN but my suggestion is Roosevelt Island.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-27-2020, 10:34 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,240,189 times
Aren’t you a family of 6?

Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,937 times
I would highly recommend Tudor City and the surrounding area. It’s very nice and right next to the UN. There are many options of apartments and buildings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_City

Old 12-27-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Aren’t you a family of 6?
Yes. I would say it was a typo but the youngest will surely tell a therapist years from now we never gave her enough attention.

Old 12-27-2020, 01:25 PM

Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Old 12-27-2020, 01:55 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
I’d also suggest Roosevelt Island because it’s diverse, safe, clean, family-friendly, good public schools. But the largest places there, IIRC, are only three bedrooms and you’d need subway and/or bus to get to the UN — although it would be a short commute.

Is being walking distance just a preference or a must have because of some health condition? If only the former, you have many other options in Queens or Manhattan. If you MUST be able to walk to the area, I’d also look at properties in Murray Hill or in West Midtown. In general, Murray Hill will be more expensive, upscale, and family- friendly. Here is an example: https://streeteasy.com/building/the-nash/apt11g

Big apartments are always expensive, of course, and no telling what prices will be when you get here. But I’d guess $5000 a month is a good baseline. Good luck and welcome to New York.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:16 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,189,465 times
You have not told us your housing budget. What do you mean by "kid friendly?" There are private brownstone houses in the "turtle Bay" area of Manhattan very near to the UN. Maybe you can sublet a furnished brownstone there?

Old 12-27-2020, 04:33 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,813,260 times
A budget would be helpful. Of course Upper East Side is ideal for families, but not everyone can afford that area. Here are the 3 areas from least expensive to more expensive:

Yorkville
Lenox Hill
Carnegie Hill

They're all great areas, and all all are family friendly. Lenox Hill would be closest to the UN.

Right now you can get a steal with rentals but if this pandemic is in the rear view mirror by summer time then the rents will probably start to go back up.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:39 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust1980 View Post
My wife and our four little kids are moving to Manhattan next summer. We are excited.... and nervous! We would like to be a 15-20 minute walk from the UN, in a neighborhood which is kid-friendly and might have 4 bedroom apartments. Please let me know if there are any neighborhoods you’d recommend and any other recommendations on how we can go about finding a place that may be furnished.

Thank you so much,

Lewis
Only areas remotely within a 15-20 minute walk to UN on East Side of Manhattan are Murray Hill, Turtle Bay, Beekman and Sutton Place. You might add a slice of Mid-Town east from Lexington avenue to maybe Third.

In any event large four bedroom apartments are extremely rare and highly sought after in city, especially Manhattan.

Basically you'd have to find either a Classic "Six" or "Seven" pre-war apartment, and even there you'd only get two or three bedrooms. You'd likely have to convert another room into a bedroom to make up difference.

https://www.brickunderground.com/blo...us_classic_six

https://streeteasy.com/blog/what-is-a-classic-six/

Families with two or more children are making do with two bedroom apartments, or three if can find one they can afford.

New construction likely may offer four or five bedroom apartments, but it won't come cheap.

https://newconstructionmanhattan.com...s/four-bedroom

Not near UN in terms of walking distance (well not in 15-20 minutes unless you walk very fast), but there's Stuyvesant Town-Peter Cooper Village which is south of United Nations.

https://www.stuytown.com/nyc-apartme...ort/2019-07-10

Families that require that much space also turn to renting or buying a townhouse of which there are plenty in area of UN.

Finally though most certainly not in walking distance Harlem, Inwood and Washington Heights still have a decent supply of large apartments. But you'd have to be more nuanced about where you lived up there.

Someone mentioned Tudor City.... Despite overall size of that place there aren't many three or four bedroom apartments IIRC. Much of TC was originally built as residential hotel or efficiency apartments, not the grand pre-war scale at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City