Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 10:18 PM

74 posts, read 39,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
They are under the spell of the abnormal becoming normal. It’s abnormal to live in the high crime, high cost, high stress of NYC. I saw that video if those savages attacking that person walking down the street and all I thought about all day was unloading my Glock on them. I realize that it’s not normal to think and have to live that way.
And now with covid, NYC is just not worth the price of the daily stress that one must undergo. Once you step out of that bubble and see what other places offer your mindset changes.

Regarding real estate, people are starting to realize that they can live in areas where they can have less stress, work from home, and with interest rates in the 2s it’s a no brainer. I had cash for a 580k house but chose to get a mortgage. I’m all in for 115K. I’ll buy another house with the savings.
You really think this is going to last? Once this whole disaster is over, there is no way companies are going to continue paying NYC salaries so you can live in Texas or New Mexico. Either that or those places will become so overrun that the cost of living will also go up exponentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 11:41 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,741,767 times
Yep. Tech companies are already talking about cutting back on salaries for people moving to lower-COL places. I think that's BS, but god knows tech people are too weak to organize and push back on it.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:48 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Too bad u already bought a property. I know that Maine has or had a program for first time buyers to attract young folx to the state. I hear Vermont is expensive. Mayne NH would be better like HandsupThumbsDown has suggested.

You are painting a broad brush regarding Vermont. You can be liberal and still own guns/be into a hunting lifestyle. This is their culture (not all residents but a good many), and they embrace it. People are not monoliths. Yeah, NH would probably be a better fit.
I come from an extended family of military vets, gun owners, and liberals. I am a progressive and have no problem with guns and if I move to rural PA or MY I may buy a rifle. People like to paint with broad brushes

Old 01-30-2021, 06:51 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I needed to read the article to uncover what the intended message was from the artists. I don't think that was obvious from just observing the sign and many people are misinterpreting it.
I agree!

Old 01-31-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Yep. Tech companies are already talking about cutting back on salaries for people moving to lower-COL places. I think that's BS, but god knows tech people are too weak to organize and push back on it.
But it makes sense, even though nobody likes a salary cut. Salaries are based on, among other things, COL. There are rare exceptions, such as a unique or rare skill highly in demand, but by and large companies pay a certain salary based on factors such as the average salary in your area. If I were a business owner, I would not pay a NYC salary to someone living in Arizona. People will have to either make the decision to move back or, if remote is an option, take the salary cut. I would definitely be 10000% happy if I had to take a 20% salary cut that allowed me then to live wherever I wanted. But since there are rarely ideal choices when it comes to work, something has to give.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:14 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,892,650 times
Quote:
The phrase “New York is Dead” is a nod to the titles of early-pandemic essays about the droves of people leaving the city — including one in The Post that prompted a rebuttal op-ed from Jerry Seinfeld titled “So you think New York is Dead? (It’s Not).”
I'm more New York than Seinfeld. I was born in Forest Hills Hospital. And he's full of $#!+

Altrucher was right.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:13 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,759,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casalduch View Post
You really think this is going to last? Once this whole disaster is over, there is no way companies are going to continue paying NYC salaries so you can live in Texas or New Mexico. Either that or those places will become so overrun that the cost of living will also go up exponentially.
Who knows how long this will last? It will be a thing until covid goes away. When will that happen, 6 months a year, 2 years? I personally think that China deliberately sent covid our way for a variety of different reasons and they are planning more if the same in the future.
If that happens you can bet your bottom dollar that big congested cities will die off.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:20 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,433,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Who knows how long this will last? It will be a thing until covid goes away. When will that happen, 6 months a year, 2 years? I personally think that China deliberately sent covid our way for a variety of different reasons and they are planning more if the same in the future.
I believe this as well. Depopulation by global super powers is another theory I could be swayed into believing.

CHINA is usually the source of anything gross and deadly. I wouldn't put it past them to sacrifice their own people for a gain of $1. By the way Americans have proven that we are no better than the filthy Chinese.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I believe this as well. Depopulation by global super powers is another theory I could be swayed into believing.

CHINA is usually the source of anything gross and deadly. I wouldn't put it past them to sacrifice their own people for a gain of $1. By the way Americans have proven that we are no better than the filthy Chinese.
Yes. If 2020 proved anything to me, it was a confirmation that the US is not a place to be proud of in most respects. It´s basically become almost a second or third rate country with cold weather. We could easily be as mismanaged as a South American country, but at least they have happy people. Here? We´re basically a Western version of a police state with the highest rates of depression and drug addicts.

As for how long this will go on, you guys honestly are too optimistic thinking that companies are going to pay NY salaries to some person in Arizona.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:30 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,433,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casalduch View Post
Yes. If 2020 proved anything to me, it was a confirmation that the US is not a place to be proud of in most respects. It´s basically become almost a second or third rate country with cold weather. We could easily be as mismanaged as a South American country, but at least they have happy people. Here? We´re basically a Western version of a police state with the highest rates of depression and drug addicts.
I have been traveling to South America for over 20 years for leisure travel. Those countries and people run circles around Americans when it comes to decency , respect for others, and an overall higher quality of life. My plan Pre - Covid was to retire down there.

My biggest complaint about America is how do you move on from this disaster KNOWING your fellow countrymen are worth SQUAT during life and death situations and many will not go as far as to lift a mask to their mouth for your safety and the safety of the country/economy. NOTHING is 3rd world about it. TRY 4,5,6 or even 7th world garbage that even the NYC sanitation department wouldn't pick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City