Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:58 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I wouldn't say that a state that elects Bernie Sanders at an 85% clip and was one of the first to implement social healthcare has a lot of social or economic conservatism. They do have a republican governor who is sufficiently anti-trump to not be thrown out on his ass.

However, sometimes what people mean by moving to a more "conservative" area is just a more white area, and Vermont certainly is that.

I meant that Vermont is conservative in terms of preservation of a certain QOL rather than social policy. Something like the fact they banned billboards on roads and highways is illustrative of that. Of course, its homogeneity shelters it from social issues that plague other more urbanized states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 09:05 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
I meant that Vermont is conservative in terms of preservation of a certain QOL rather than social policy. Something like the fact they banned billboards on roads and highways is illustrative of that. Of course, its homogeneity shelters it from social issues that plague other more urbanized states.
Right. I love that they banned the billboards; but this is not a feature not many in America would consider "conservative," they'd probably spout some BS about liberals killing business and George Soros and Qanon and god knows whatever else goes on in their addled minds.

Old 01-28-2021, 01:54 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Right. I love that they banned the billboards; but this is not a feature not many in America would consider "conservative," they'd probably spout some BS about liberals killing business and George Soros and Qanon and god knows whatever else goes on in their addled minds.

True. What is happening is that the internet has played people according to individual inclinations, and funneled opinion in more radical directions. Radio and TV are still potent, but the Web is just that; it traps you if you are prone to radical ideas, less informed, gullible and angry. Some people are quite smart but are triggered by negative experiences, when they fall into the spiral of misinformation, akin to the stimuli that lead to depression or other behavioral/mental issues. I think that belief systems are easily reinforced if you aren't constantly checking yourself, and consciously raising the bar in sourcing opinion and information, especially on the web.

These past years, in the US, the more noticeable effects of the web sucking folk in, chewing on them and spitting some out in weird patterns became bigger.

We are all susceptible to misinformation to different degrees, depending on education and other factors, and of course the way things are presented. I am an artist, and listen to a fair amount of youtube for info and entertainment as I work. I make a point of listening to a variety of stuff.

There is so much out there that is worthy of attention. You can find at the tip of your fingers an old interview with Arnold Toynbee or Rachmaninov's the "Isle of the Dead", or else be sucked into drivel by pariahs with an agenda.

But yeah, Vermont is great. I'm looking forward to the day I can cross the border into it again.

Old 01-28-2021, 04:25 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I wish I could go North actually. I love New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine. I'm not against all liberalism. You know I hate the south, mainly for political reasons. But man the extreme leftism of NYC is no longer tolerable to us. I wish my damned ex would move now too.
Too bad u already bought a property. I know that Maine has or had a program for first time buyers to attract young folx to the state. I hear Vermont is expensive. Mayne NH would be better like HandsupThumbsDown has suggested.

Quote:
You really wouldn't like most places in Vermont if NYC is too liberal. NH probably a better a fit. For example, I believe they allow guns on the floor of the state house there. Enjoy.
You are painting a broad brush regarding Vermont. You can be liberal and still own guns/be into a hunting lifestyle. This is their culture (not all residents but a good many), and they embrace it. People are not monoliths. Yeah, NH would probably be a better fit.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:49 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Nationalism
Stateism
Cityism.

Humans are a crazy bunch.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
People who think NYC is hunky dory are delusional.

We have a bid $24,000 over asking on a house in NJ right now and I expect to lose it. It's insane.
NJ RE prices are insane right now, including outskirts of NYC. Those areas that bordering LI north and east all getting bids of 5 figures over their asking prices.

There are people that just want to leave the area but not too far so they are buying away from NYC or downtown NJ.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:55 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Too bad u already bought a property. I know that Maine has or had a program for first time buyers to attract young folx to the state. I hear Vermont is expensive. Mayne NH would be better like HandsupThumbsDown has suggested.

You are painting a broad brush regarding Vermont. You can be liberal and still own guns/be into a hunting lifestyle. This is their culture (not all residents but a good many), and they embrace it. People are not monoliths. Yeah, NH would probably be a better fit.
I was being a bit hyperbolic. I'm reminded of the time a member of the legislature in NH accidentally discharged a firearm while they were in session .

There is still a lot of affordable real estate in Vermont, just not in the popular, growing towns like Brattleboro and Burlington.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:00 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NJ RE prices are insane right now, including outskirts of NYC. Those areas that bordering LI north and east all getting bids of 5 figures over their asking prices.

There are people that just want to leave the area but not too far so they are buying away from NYC or downtown NJ.
Oh believe me, unfortunately we know. I am waiting for an answer today on the last bid so that we can start lining up houses to see this weekend if we lose. I'm making offers with almost 50% cash and I am losing to people with all cash bids. It's insane.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-28-2021, 09:11 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
This city is getting wild man!

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...8la1SMsy81Tsu4

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-28-2021, 10:44 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
There is nothing conservative about Vermont or New England in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City