Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 07:02 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,594,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
LES - More older housing stock, lots of students, and cultural pockets. Long history of working class neighborhoods. Gentrification came later to LES.

Kipps/Murray - Is this area less desirable??? Dunno as a gay man my view on these neighborhoods have been midtown for heterosexuals.

Hell's Kitchen/Hudson whatever - TBH HK & parts of Times Square still feel like a grimy hobo infested hole. However the gays & affluent foreigners have helped transform this area. The western portion by the river was very much industrial which meant cheaper for developers to transform into glass towers.

Yorkville - Until recently going further east from CP meant a transit desert. Unlike the UWS lack of mass transit access slowed development.

UWS - See above ^ - Better access to subways.

Tribeca, SoHo, VW, Chelsea, etc - That whole area has been well connected by transit for a long time + close to major employment centers. Also like HK/Hudson there was plenty of run down commercial/industrial property here even a few decades ago. Made it much easier to redevelop.

Morningside/Washington Heights - Proximity to Columbia and better transit access.

East Harlem - Because East Harlem. Developers avoided this area until everything south was already gentrifying.
The housing stock on the West side is older if anything. The buildings in Greenwich Village are even older on average than the ones in the LES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 08:00 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The housing stock on the West side is older if anything. The buildings in Greenwich Village are even older on average than the ones in the LES.
LES may have had oil/gas tanks dotted all over but west had more run down industrial/warehouse/commercial zones to raise and rebuild. Displacing an abandoned factory is always easier than displacing occupied low income tenements.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:01 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Generally speaking: projects and tenements vs not projects and not tenements
Your comment made me realize Manhattan have allot of Projects, might even have a higher number than any other borough.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:17 AM

1,052 posts, read 452,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You've got things totally incorrect historically.
I'm talking about these neighborhoods as they stand in the 21st century, not historically. Historically speaking I'm asking what conditions led to these neighborhoods to be the way they are today.

Old 02-25-2021, 11:21 AM

1,052 posts, read 452,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Your comment made me realize Manhattan have allot of Projects, might even have a higher number than any other borough.
Don't quote me but I'd bet the Bronx has more, though not that much more. Nowadays it seems unthinkable to us why someone would build projects in Manhattan, of all places in the city it's obviously the most glitzy and affluent. But I guess 60-70 years ago the city was a very different place where Manhattan wasn't considered all that nice?

Old 02-25-2021, 12:13 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Don't quote me but I'd bet the Bronx has more, though not that much more. Nowadays it seems unthinkable to us why someone would build projects in Manhattan, of all places in the city it's obviously the most glitzy and affluent. But I guess 60-70 years ago the city was a very different place where Manhattan wasn't considered all that nice?
Majority of NYCHA was built on former slums, or vacant land.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-25-2021, 12:41 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Yep. A century or so ago Manhattan had even greater extremes of wealth and poverty. The LES (at that time considered to include what's now called the East Village) was crammed with tenements and unbelievable destitution. Most of the waterfront was considered too dangerous/grimy/commercial for "respectable" residents.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:46 PM

1,399 posts, read 891,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
It's a massive shame that prime real estate locations
are occupied by societies losers. Tenements have been prone to gentrification. Projects, not so much. Any area with projects is very hard to gentrify imo.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:56 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Poor ungentrified Chelsea and UWS, who knew.

It's a massive shame that other people think they can decide who deserves to live near them. Especially people who by real upper-class Manhattan standards are probably losers, too (as almost anyone on this board is).

Old 02-25-2021, 08:29 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
East Side gets crushed at 96th when you hit a sea of projects

West Side maintains expensive real estate up to Columbia U in the 110's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City