Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 04:29 PM

325 posts, read 198,935 times

Advertisements

Many articles talk about the income inequality gap in the world being the worst in manhattan . It shows the reality many think of , lots of wealthy people . But also shows the other side , many poor people living side by side . The old back in the day movies show this but people think now manhattan is paradise . “ Oh you live in manhattan your rich “ , when the poverty rate for manhattan is much higher then queens .

The good thing I can draw from this is that these poorer people have more access to nice restaurents and other great things the city has to offer in comparison to people in areas with extreme poverty and lack of resources like people in bronx and Brooklyn . However isiolated manhattan areas like far in East Harlem can be feel like it’s Own world and can be similar to the south bronx and Brownsville . while the lower Eastside has a mix of poverty and being close to many things just like people in williamsburg and Astoria , kinda good neighborhoods with bad parts

I’ve seen a similar map that shows people income by block but it’s hard to read a lil but , this new illustration shows the poverty areas in the city .

As expected areas with almost no poverty are the upper east side besides the block projects that border east Harlem by the river . the west village / Greenwich village and TriBeCa are also as expected , very wealthy areas with no low income housing or shelters . Upper westside from Lincoln center to 86 street is also exclusively upper class , with the poor in the Amsterdam houses below and many nycha buildings above 86th street scattered out ( Douglas from 100 to 104 , wise towers on 90th/91th , dehostos on 93rd , wsur sites on 88th , 92nd and 94th and nycha brownstones from 89 to 93rd )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 04:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 890,790 times
What's with the poor people in midtown?

Old 02-27-2021, 05:01 PM

926 posts, read 416,690 times
Interesting map. Do you have it for other boroughs, as well?

The UWS between Lincoln center and 86th is not exclusively upper-class, though. There is a mix of people, even on the more expensive avenues/thoroughfares like West End, Central Park West and Riverside. Middle-class, upper-middle and upper. I would say the majority are upper-middle-class, by NYC standards.

Across the park however, 5th and Park below 80th street: that's a lot closer to being exclusively upper-class, in my opinion.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
The area all around port authority and Times Square both have a lot of shelters for people . And there’s some low income Mitchell lamas and one nycha development between 10th and 11th Avenue .

Old 02-27-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llol45519 View Post
Times Square + Port Authority, maybe?

Edit: oops, OP sorry I didn't see your post.
If on top of that there is a NYCHA complex & some Mitchell Lamas, then Llol45519, look no further: you have your answer.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Interesting map. Do you have it for other boroughs, as well?

The UWS between Lincoln center and 86th is not exclusively upper-class, though. There is a mix of people, even on the more expensive avenues/thoroughfares like West End, Central Park West and Riverside. Middle-class, upper-middle and upper. I would say the majority are upper-middle-class, by NYC standards.

Across the park however, 5th and Park below 80th street: that's a lot closer to being exclusively upper-class, in my opinion.
I Agreed completely with all of this u said , and yes these are other maps for the other boroughs . I can’t find the map for queens , would have beeen interesting to see but here’s Brooklyn and bronx

Old 02-27-2021, 05:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Times Square + Port Authority, maybe?

Edit: oops, OP sorry I didn't see your post.
If on top of that there is a NYCHA complex & some Mitchell Lamas, then Llol45519, look no further: you have your answer.
Mitchell Llama does not equate poverty.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Mitchell Llama does not equate poverty.
Not exactly but there is people living in poverty that share the building . Hudson view terrace for example is nice looking but it was bad back in the day and still holds its share of lower income residents who are on section 8 . No coincidence the block where it is has the blue section that indicates poverty , it’s just facts here no opinions

Old 02-27-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Iand yes these are other maps for the other boroughs . I can’t find the map for queens , would have beeen interesting to see but here’s Brooklyn and bronx
Thanks.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:15 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
New data has lower poverty rates for NYC. The latest stats have overall NYC poverty rate at 17.9%, down from 20.9% as shown in the earlier maps. That's significant.

Currently:

Bronx 26.2%
Brooklyn 17.7%
Queens 11.0%
Staten Island 9.1%
Manhattan 14.1%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/IPE120219

https://www.census.gov/search-result...%20York%20City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City