Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 PM

18 posts, read 95,706 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've lived in New York for 4 years, and Willaimsburg (Lorimer L) for 1 year. I'll be moving out to the Morgan L stop with my girlfriend and my friend We'll be living half a block from the subway. Just wanted to know people's thought on the area? We're musicians, and it seems that it mostly young white artsy people around there.

I wanna hear the good and bad stories !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:02 AM

317 posts, read 1,144,127 times
You'll be fine. I suppose it doesn't look so nice, but the gentrification train has long since rolled through there.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimihendrix55 View Post
Hi, I've lived in New York for 4 years, and Willaimsburg (Lorimer L) for 1 year. I'll be moving out to the Morgan L stop with my girlfriend and my friend We'll be living half a block from the subway. Just wanted to know people's thought on the area? We're musicians, and it seems that it mostly young white artsy people around there.

I wanna hear the good and bad stories !
The residents there will just love you.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The residents there will just love you.
Yeah, but unfortunately, i don't have the tight pants, big sunglasses, and undeserved sense of superiority to match

Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
That's prime "hipsterville" between Williamsburg and Bushwick. There are housing projects over near Bushwick Avenue and Boerum/Flushing, so just be aware of that--and they are pretty sketchy as far as housing projects go.
That little pocket around the Morgan L is pretty damn gritty, but it is flooded with hipster kids, musicians, artists, and even yuppies. There's also a few huge loft buildings in the area, so those provide fuel for the fire for parties, keggers, and any other types of get-togethers.
Good luck--there are no major issues other than the projects, around there.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 AM

ah yeah, i did see all the projects around there. Yeah, I don't plan to walk in that area. Basically going to walk the half a block to my apartment from the subway, and occasionally dip over to those store fronts on bogart. But Ill mostly be spending time in my apartment, near the Graham, Lorimer, and Bedford L stops, and in manhattan.

I currently live between 2 housing projects on Lorimer and Stagh. There's a huggeeee one on the corner of Leonard and Stagg, but it seems very quiet. There's a bunch of smaller ones on Stagg between Lorimer and Union. Also pretty quiet.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Sounds like a good plan. It's a decent area and I'd live there too for the right space.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 AM

Yeah I figure its only only a year, and it is a big space.

Anyone have any thoughts on parking a car in the street, or am I just asking to have it broken into? I live across from the subway, so there is a steady amount of people walking around my apartment

Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 52,392 times
Morgan seems to be fine -- the subway stop seems to be populated with mostly white kids with liberal arts degrees. If you're right near the subway, then even less to worry. As a lone white woman, I only felt uncomfortable around the bodega (owned by locals, obviously) where mostly Latino men enjoy gawking at/hooting hollering at any women that walk by, white or not, so I'm not sure if thats an accurate gauge for its ghettoness. I'd say Morgan would be my limit for Bushwick's tolerability. Forget Jefferson & DeKalb L, and I wouldn't ever really go around JMZ areas, esp. Central Ave unless you enjoy that creeping feeling of thinking someones gonna jump you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City