Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 10:12 PM

822 posts, read 782,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensGuy72 View Post
Just stay out of the boroughs since they are technically within NYC limits which makes you subject to uber liberal white woke elite/BLM thug rules. In other words, you'll need a weapon to protect your family pretty much.

If you asked me 10 years ago, yes some parts of outer Queens would suffice nicely (Whitestone/Bayside/Douglaston/Little Neck). Anything near the Nassau county border. But that was 10 years ago. When people that grew up in these areas are running away, that should tell ya something.

Though I don't like it, I'd advise anyone not familiar with NYC area to go north to Westchester. You're looking at wonderful areas in Scarsdale and Rockland. Great place for kids. And many people commute to Manhattan from those areas.

Once again, I repeat...DO NOT...DO NOT...move to any of the boroughs, including Manhattan. Things gonna get real crazy over the next couple of years!!
Yet you stay in Queens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 05:04 AM

19 posts, read 14,079 times
Many thanks for all the replies and to give a little more context:
- If we end up purchasing a home I'd like to keep it under $700k, I don't know how realistic that is but we would plan to rent for a year or two anyway.
- One of the replies was very helpful and corresponds with what we are thinking in that we'd like avoid uprooting the boys/moving schools in a few years to buy a house so ideally would like to rent in the area we'll most likely settle.
- The river towns seem like nice options, as does Mount Kisco although I have zero experience of any of those areas.
- Last year I visited some rental properties in Scarsdale, Larchmont and Rye early last year. Of those three I preferred Larchmont, then Rye but again potential to buy a place within our budget seems unlikely from what I've seen on Zillow.
- We have more or less ruled out Park Slope for cost and space reasons.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:55 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Yet you stay in Queens?
Maybe somebody's paying him to make the posts

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,163,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Beats me, and I grew up in Forest Hills.

LIC, Forest Hills Gardens, Douglaston, some Bayside. The rest is a dump as far as queens goes.

This is why I said Westchester. Visually more appealing, little cute towns, more greenery. Better quality people. Closer to nature, hiking, skiing, biking, boating.

How are Whitestone and Little Neck doing these days? I haven't been to Queens in about 20 years.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:04 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,793,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe somebody's paying him to make the posts
Bwahahahaha.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:12 AM

16,179 posts, read 6,921,504 times
REsponse: Opinion

Ther are a few wonderful neighborhoods to raise your children.
I would highly recommend Queens if you are going to live in New York City.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:22 AM

16,179 posts, read 6,921,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisbutascratch View Post
Many thanks for all the replies and to give a little more context:
- If we end up purchasing a home I'd like to keep it under $700k, I don't know how realistic that is but we would plan to rent for a year or two anyway.
- One of the replies was very helpful and corresponds with what we are thinking in that we'd like avoid uprooting the boys/moving schools in a few years to buy a house so ideally would like to rent in the area we'll most likely settle.
- The river towns seem like nice options, as does Mount Kisco although I have zero experience of any of those areas.
- Last year I visited some rental properties in Scarsdale, Larchmont and Rye early last year. Of those three I preferred Larchmont, then Rye but again potential to buy a place within our budget seems unlikely from what I've seen on Zillow.
- We have more or less ruled out Park Slope for cost and space reasons.
Response: Opinion

Under $700,000 you say..............

Homes that are along the waters edge will be your best buy......
Portions of Queens fall to mind.

If you are a hands on guy you can get lucky and purchase a home under $700K.
Broad Channel is a quiet and safe neighborhood serviced by the
A (60 minutes to Manhattan) train as well as Hamilton Beach. Large Irish population.
It has many smaller homes or some in need of repair.
Beautiful bay views and near the Ocean. Plenty fishing.

Downside:
Flooding is your biggest threat of damage
but it does not happen often and there are
not to many places where you find a home
for less than a million in a safe New York City
neighborhood

You take the good with the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City