Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 12:40 PM

2,450 posts, read 982,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Was NYC cheap to live in before? If it was purely a tax rate issue NY and CA would be the poorest states in the nation.

Btw, I'll let you in on a little secret. Really wealthy people and corporations don't pay the published tax rates. Not even close.
If the official tax rate hike is 1%, the real increase is probably a fifth of that. Are the uber wealthy going to flee due to 0.2%?

The tax hikes are meant to squeeze the upper middle class and "rich" (aka Goldman banker making $1MM, GOOG VP making $500K, C-suite "execs" of small and medium sized companies).These people can't flee as easily.
My household income, pre-COVID put me in the top 19% of income earners. It's a good living and we weren't struggling living paycheck to paycheck, but we were careful and saved for more than the recommended 6 months of reserves, which are now pretty much depleted. It took YEARS to save that money. The Trump tax cuts allowed us about $5600 a year in immediate income. We got beat up a bit with the SALT deductions, but it was minimal, a couple of hundred bucks. What Albany did will directly affect me in several ways, on a personal level, and as a small business owner. All the expansion I did in the past 5 years (2 years under Obama, 3 under Trump) will become stagnant or cause me to contract. I'm addition I was already forced to shutter my business that had a 4200 square foot store front. Plus, de Blasio continues to allow an unfair property tax valuation that favors multi-millionaires and punishes the middle class. You can't grow by extremely high taxes that will eventually become a dwindling tax base. It works for a year or two, after that people get their **** together and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 06:04 AM

25,443 posts, read 37,299,357 times
Quote:
Your state taxes are based on where you live, not where you work.
Not true.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:54 AM

1,034 posts, read 451,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
My household income, pre-COVID put me in the top 19% of income earners. It's a good living and we weren't struggling living paycheck to paycheck, but we were careful and saved for more than the recommended 6 months of reserves, which are now pretty much depleted. It took YEARS to save that money. The Trump tax cuts allowed us about $5600 a year in immediate income. We got beat up a bit with the SALT deductions, but it was minimal, a couple of hundred bucks. What Albany did will directly affect me in several ways, on a personal level, and as a small business owner. All the expansion I did in the past 5 years (2 years under Obama, 3 under Trump) will become stagnant or cause me to contract. I'm addition I was already forced to shutter my business that had a 4200 square foot store front. Plus, de Blasio continues to allow an unfair property tax valuation that favors multi-millionaires and punishes the middle class. You can't grow by extremely high taxes that will eventually become a dwindling tax base. It works for a year or two, after that people get their **** together and go.
I'll.let.you in on another dirty little secret. NYC doesn't want small businesses.

The city's budget is so large and supports so many parasites (the non-working and the tens of thousands of overstaffed literally useless government workers that cost $150K+ all in) that the marginal benefit of additional small business revenue is virtually zero.

They want/need mega corps that can pay an additional tens/hundreds of millions a pop and RE transactions from overseas/mega wealthy non resident buyers that are pure profit for the city.

The city doesn't care about small businesses due to how large the budget needs are. A handful of speed/red light cameras is more valuable to the city than any additional small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City