Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 08:42 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

It’s a crisis seen across the city’s street corners and subways — and also behind closed doors.

More than 50,000 people sleep in city homeless shelters every night. Thousands more sleep on the street and on trains. Statistics last year found the number of single adults in shelters reached a historic level — more than 20,000 men and women needed a bed.

For years, homelessness has plagued the de Blasio administration and been splashed across front pages. Charges of racism or NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) are commonplace in some neighborhoods — controversy typically greets the administration when it scrambles to find buildings or hotels to house people who need a home. That has only been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Unlike his predecessor (Michael Bloomberg committed to end chronic homelessness in 2004 and he was obviously unsuccessful), de Blasio never said he would eliminate homelessness altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 08:59 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,763,660 times
A divide over safety underground: The leading Democratic mayoral candidates’ transportation proposals

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...sts_po-organic

While there are eight major Democratic candidates for mayor, they are crammed together in the same car when it comes to most transportation issues. Their platforms often sound remarkably similar:

The city should create more busways
The city should have more bike-share programs
The city should expand electric scooter and e-bike options

But some candidates don’t agree on how the NYPD should police the public transit system, with some candidates promising to deploy more officers to patrol the subways while other candidates reject the move.​

Old 05-06-2021, 10:19 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,668,615 times
My suggestions are:

Be rough on policing the homeless. Get them off the streets and the subways. Out of sight, out of mind. Don't accidentally kill one of them because that would trigger the masses. I know this may sound absolutely Trumpian but I think the majority of people agree with this policy deep down.

Old 05-06-2021, 11:42 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,926 times
force institutionalization to those who need it. 2 strikes (encounters) you are out. Only release after good mental health treatment. Get them on medication and jobs training. Devil finds work for idle hands. Stop giving them free **** that encourages them to stay homeless. No hotel accomodations/free needles/ free phones/ free 2 years rent.

Many 'homeless' go into shelter to get priority for the above services.

Build container parks to those who can adapt and live among polite society.
Make areas where they congregate inhabitable. Super bright lights. Clear it out once a week. Hose down the area. Frustrate them until they leave. We found solutions for those pesky pigeons. We can find solutions if we wanted to.

Old 05-07-2021, 01:07 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,028,603 times
Round them up. Screen out the crazies and send them into sanitariums.
Establish detox tough love camps in rural areas where they get counseling, job training, and therapy. Setup a bail bond system whereby liberal lawyers and other whiney limousine liberal groups who complain about violating the rights of bums must pay into an insurance fund every month. This fund will be used to pay the victims of attacks by mentally deranged bums such as all the Asian victims. If a bum who goes free later attacks someone then the bail bondsmen will seize the assets of the whiney liberal lawyers and other limousine liberals.

Old 05-07-2021, 01:21 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
I think this is a much more complex problem than you guys realize.

Nowadays the homeless have on Jordans and namebrand clothes. Not the newest stuff obviously. But I'm used to seeing middle-aged to elderly bums in total rags and filth. These new bums are cleaner and younger.

I think a lot of the young bums from flyover country got wind of the high life from their Facebook transplant friends that were doing much better, and came en masse

Case in point, the people from W 86 sleeping in the tent

Not many NYC natives know how to pitch a tent

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-07-2021, 07:00 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
I predict some meetings and any good ideas dying on the vine like they always have.

With all the open space the state has, they could build dignity villages with services for those who want to get housing and help. I cannot understand why this cant seem to be done.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I think this is a much more complex problem than you guys realize.

Nowadays the homeless have on Jordans and namebrand clothes. Not the newest stuff obviously. But I'm used to seeing middle-aged to elderly bums in total rags and filth. These new bums are cleaner and younger.

I think a lot of the young bums from flyover country got wind of the high life from their Facebook transplant friends that were doing much better, and came en masse

Case in point, the people from W 86 sleeping in the tent

Your posts are always hit or miss. This one made me laugh. It is true! If you know how to pitch a tent you have proper life skills. You shouldn't be homeless. I am a landlord. Over 60% of the calls/emails that I get when I list an apartment are perfectly fine able bodied adults who are living in shelters or moved into shelters to get CITY FHEPS and Special One Shot Deal /One Time assistance financial assistance that pays their rent for 2 years.
That skews the homeless numbers.
99% of them were scamming. Working off the books. Refused to work. Some tell me when FHEPS/SOTA run out we will go on section 8.

Using SOTA and City FHEPS to pay their rent moving from one landlord to shelter to another landlord to re start their clock.

80% of these people informed me that they would be having other people living in the apartment that they requested to not include in the lease. Just scamming the system.

These people are so adept at finding loopholes to get what they want. If they spent half the time learning a trade/starting a business/ going back to school/applying for jobs they would be leap years ahead!

NYC creates their own crisis if you ask me.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I predict some meetings and any good ideas dying on the vine like they always have.

With all the open space the state has, they could build dignity villages with services for those who want to get housing and help. I cannot understand why this cant seem to be done.

Poverty like war is an entire industrial complex. There are entire industries and careers built on maintaining the status quo. Colleges earning millions 'training' workers to go work in these field.

Politicians could brain storm for a month and come up with some amazing ideas for the homeless population.

When I travel I don't see the level of homeless crisis (EVEN IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES!) overseas.

So why is it in the great wonderful, wealthy America we can't seem to find a solution.

There are many lining their pockets catering to the homeless and mentally ill. It is better to keep them there.
. It is amazing how much money you can make providing services to the indigent.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:14 AM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

You live in a sheltered version of New York City Life. You got to get out more and meet more people and do things other than the area you are born and raised and live now. Just about every single person I know from New York City knows how to pitch a tent and has been camping before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City