Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 11:09 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times

Advertisements

Didn't read this whole thread, but I always thought that Northeastern Univ was, in the local realm of Boston, associated with students from working-class background. I have an acquaintance who is on staff there, and from talking to her, I got that impression. They have a well known First Gen program geared towards first-generation college students. Just based on walking frequently through the Northeastern area, it is surprising to hear that only 3% of the students are black - that could be correct, but my guess would have been far closer to 25%-30%. You don't hear as much about Northeastern in the city as you hear about MIT, Harvard, Boston Univ, Boston College, Tufts, or even the local branch UMass and smaller/specialized colleges like MassArt or Emerson. Particularly if it matters so much to her that most people around her should be black, I'm not sure that she'll like it better, or attain greater post-college opportunities, at Northeastern than she would at a top traditionally black school like Howard Univ.

Last edited by elnrgby; 06-26-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 12:17 PM

169 posts, read 64,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponpiri View Post
Backwards? Some enjoy integration while others prefer to stay within their own (strong) communities. I don't see the problem with being cool with both modes of living.

There's nothing wrong with Hasidics sticking together, Italians calling it "strong family values" or Dominicans creating and maintaining their own neighborhoods. Yet somehow, when it comes to Black Americans, it's a problem.
this.

it's like how many of these posters had no problem with people like guiliani looking out for italians, or koch looking out for the jewish people, but if a african-american politician panders to african americans, he is considered racist and inciting racial division. lol. you can't make this up lol.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:19 PM

169 posts, read 64,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
sure.

you felt the need to highlight racial slurs being "tossed around freely". I'm willing to bet that happens more often in a black majority school than any of the specialized high schools.
i'm not saying it's OK for it to be happening in any environment, but I'm just pointing out the BS coming from the article.

i'm not going to minimize her experience, as I'm sure it's not easy being in a minority in an academic setting where standards and expectations are higher, but I also think she received a better education than she would have had she gone to a black majority school, where racial slurs are also "being tossed around freely."
i bet you do.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:42 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstructer View Post
this.

it's like how many of these posters had no problem with people like guiliani looking out for italians, or koch looking out for the jewish people, but if a african-american politician panders to african americans, he is considered racist and inciting racial division. lol. you can't make this up lol.
Giuliani pandered to Italians and Koch pandered to Jews? How exactly?

Old 07-11-2021, 09:14 PM

309 posts, read 900,788 times
I grew up being the "speck in the milk". It taught me how to "represent". Don't give a $$it how they look or what they say.
It's how they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City