Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 10:20 AM

1,274 posts, read 979,714 times

Advertisements

I have the feeling there are many French people in NYC in general, but maybe I am just over evaluating the number.
Many if them works in the French banks or the finance industry in general.
Just saying that because I am French in FiDi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 10:31 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
I would think either parts of North Williamsburg or parts of Boerum Hill / Carroll Gardens would make more sense since that's where I hear more continental French speakers (France French, French Belgian, and Swiss French).

Old 06-29-2021, 10:50 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
There are barely any Italians left in Little Italy and it's still called Little Italy

Old 06-29-2021, 11:07 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,038,683 times
My ex was French and undocumented. There are many of those French people here. Documented and undocumented. They just go unnoticed for most part.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:56 PM

295 posts, read 281,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
I have the feeling there are many French people in NYC in general, but maybe I am just over evaluating the number.
Many if them works in the French banks or the finance industry in general.
Just saying that because I am French in FiDi.
Sanofi pharma’s US HQ is in Bridgewater NJ. Even though it’s around ~50 miles from NYC there are a bunch of French employees that live in Manhattan and take a bus from port authority or van pool out. A woman I worked with eventually became naturalized.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:39 PM

870 posts, read 414,967 times
The most relevant could've been Smith Street.
What I find really corny about their request though, is that there is no French enclave in NYC. Most of them live in the City and Brooklyn, but they are scattered across NYC and even NJ and Westchester and there is no history of French people moving en masse to such and such neighborhood anywhere in the US.
I am very familiar with this type of French people calling themselves "expats" similar to those requesting a Little Paris, they are usually Upper-Middle-Class people back in Europe, and are looking for some type of "legitimacy" in the city's fabric. A spoiled child whim if you will. They are part of the Parisian bourgeoisie and forgot that France is much more than the rich and fancy neighborhoods of Paris.

Last edited by Robert.Dinero; 06-29-2021 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Not in any sizeable community. The stereotype of French in NYC is that they are very wealthy and live in the UES or Park Avenue in doorman buildings. Note this is NOT the same as French speakers of which there are many - mostly African or Haitian - living in Brooklyn or Bronx.
It is a stereotype, many French people live with 5 roommates and work in the restaurant industry amongst other things.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

there's like 75K French in NYC and who knows how many French Canadian and Hatians
If they are Canadians or Haitians they are not French. The French are the people who, regardless of ethnic and religious background were either born and raised in France or, have French citizenship.

Maybe you meant 75K French speaking people but that's much more than that.

Back in 2003 there was 300,000 French immigrants in NY State itself.

Last edited by Robert.Dinero; 06-29-2021 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-29-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I dunno. I mean if I wanted to find French people I would drive 6 hours north to Montreal and find an entire city full of them.
And you would drive 6 hours to find.... Canadians, who speak an outdated Americanized version of French with an accent that makes your average French speaker sometimes not even understand what they're saying, and sounds pretty comical.
It is equivalent to saying that you find English people in the US. So when people from Montreal want to find English people they drive to NYC?

Old 06-29-2021, 05:14 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Not in any sizeable community. The stereotype of French in NYC is that they are very wealthy and live in the UES or Park Avenue in doorman buildings. Note this is NOT the same as French speakers of which there are many - mostly African or Haitian - living in Brooklyn or Bronx.
There is a sizable French community in Brooklyn actually in Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens. There's a French school there ror the little ones. Outside of that, yes, the Upper East Side, and outside of that, Larchmont in Westchester. Larchmont is very French considering that they are not really concentrated in one area. Roughly 10% of the population is French/French ex-pats. There is a school there too as well I believe. They are also present in other affluent areas of Westchester. Rye, Mamaroneck are other examples.

https://streeteasy.com/blog/bococa-brooklyn-france/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City