Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2023, 07:20 AM

571 posts, read 1,321,606 times

Advertisements

My wife and daughter are set on visiting downtown this Dec. Are there hotels with parking around? Where I am now, hotels are being taken over by migrants.
Do we have to pay a fee to drive into Manhattan?
What is Times Square like nowadays?
Personally, I not not in favor of this, but I am outvoted. I grew up on Long Island and went to the city a few times but that was back in the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 08:33 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,689,854 times
All the fancy hotels will have valet parking. If you don't want to use that, there are lots of parking garages all over the city. There is no fee to drive around Manhattan but you will have to pay for tunnels to get into Manhattan like before. Times Square is the same as before but with less traffic since Bloomberg closed a bunch of streets and made them pedestrian only. If you have only been here back in the 1980s, Times Square is very different.

Old 11-27-2023, 09:28 AM

1,085 posts, read 564,641 times
I think December is one of the most expensive times to get hotels in Manhattan. If you're up for that, then ok, just check recent reviews for any hotel you're looking at. If the recent reviews are fine (no shelter hotel) then you're good.

I don't know about driving. If the hotel parking garage is too expensive then try Spothero

I personally think a first visit to NY would be a lot nicer in the early spring or late fall but I know tons of tourists love to come for the Christmas stuff like Rockefeller Ctr and the skating rinks etc

if you or they are on facebook there are several groups that are constantly discussing stuff like this

Old 11-28-2023, 10:11 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,179,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
My wife and daughter are set on visiting downtown this Dec. Are there hotels with parking around? Where I am now, hotels are being taken over by migrants.
Personally, I not not in favor of this, but I am outvoted. I grew up on Long Island and went to the city a few times but that was back in the 1980s.
Lots of hotels have parking. There is an $8 toll on the RFK Bridge coming in from the north on I-287 from I-95. Times Square is best avoided because everything is jacked up pricewise for tourists. Check out hotels in the Financial District which are safe, well-priced and convenient to the subways. Both the Fairfield Inn and Hampton Inn offer free parking and are priced around $250 a night.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...rict/overview/
https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/nyc...Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D

Old 11-29-2023, 06:57 AM

433 posts, read 242,191 times
Forget using the car around the city. To that end, perhaps long term parking in a less crowded area or even at one of the airports may be a cheaper option. Drop everyone off and park and come back.

Old 11-30-2023, 06:17 AM

16,202 posts, read 6,947,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post

Happy Wife equals Happy Life.

I would hate to be the fly on the wall when
you are back home and dropping the " I told you so bombs "

Then again; it may be bitter cold and you may have a chance
to have a good time outside since roaches prefer cuddling up to a warm radiator.

Best Wishes .............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: