Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 03:01 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Who's the president of NYC?
May well be President Camacho the way NYC is being managed....I mean neglected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 06:23 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,521,299 times
Exclamation Sasie 123......I Love Your Post.....!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I’ll pass easily on Florida except for maybe some areas of Miami or around Sanibel Island. Florida is full of way too much sprawl, weak zoning laws, a lack of culture and willfully ignorant people.
We have done about 30 winters, with three-months' stay per year, and that is enough for us.....everything you stated in here is SO TRUE.......we have been NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, AND WEST...... and if you go to a hospital - emergency room because you have a pain in one tooth, they will remove your tonsils and possibly your tongue.....but never the tooth " weak zoning laws, a lack of culture, and willfully ignorant people." YES, YES, and YES..... !!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2022, 10:47 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When that gets asked, what are the places people usually suggest?
There is no simple answer to that. We have a Sticky at the top of the page with questions that we ask people to answer. Budget, priorities (such as needing good schools or wanting closer access to beaches) WHERE in NYC ones works--getting to downtown Manhattan might be easier from X County than getting to Midtown depending on the transit options. Some people want to live in towns with certain ethnic choices, such as having access to Indian grocery stores or a synagogue to which they can walk.

How long a commute they can tolerate is often part of the discussion and the thing that people seem most unrealistic about. If you want a safe suburban town with good schools and a 45-minute commute, it's not going to happen when a quarter million people are trying to cross the same river in the same time frame using the same finite methods to do so.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:18 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When that gets asked, what are the places people usually suggest?
Depends on several factors....

If by rail, then any NJ town near or with access to NJT trains.

Bus? Ditto?

Driving? When (what time of day), by what route, where is end destination in Manhattan/NYC.

Know several people who recently moved to NJ, but work on UES. They use SAS to 33rd street and PATH trains (or vice versa), or walk over to Penn Station to get NJT trains (or again vice versa). Now if SAS had not been built, don't think they would have made that move.

Also know people who moved off SI to NJ, and their commute into Manhattan is actually shorter/faster. They all formerly lived out in Tottenville and Annadale...

Old 01-17-2022, 11:02 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:
If you want a safe suburban town with good schools and a 45-minute commute, it's not going to happen when a quarter million people are trying to cross the same river in the same time frame

Very good.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:50 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Let's be more clear. When people say they are moving to NJ what they really mean is they are moving to the areas which are still commutable to NYC. This means Fort Lee, West NY, Hoboken, Newark (ugh), Patterson, etc. They do not mean Cape May, Atlantic City, or the northwest areas near the forests full of bears. Although I do hear that the forest areas are very tranquil and housing prices are not as elevated.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:51 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Let's be more clear. When people say they are moving to NJ what they really mean is they are moving to the areas which are still commutable to NYC. This means Fort Lee, West NY, Hoboken, Newark (ugh), Patterson, etc. They do not mean Cape May, Atlantic City, or the northwest areas near the forests full of bears. Although I do hear that the forest areas are very tranquil and housing prices are not as elevated.
You're leaving out a whole lot of commutable communities between (and around, as in Paterson) the urban Hudson River cities you list and south and northwest NJ. Not sure what your intent was in doing that, but it's simply not true, and kind of a weird thing to claim, frankly, since so many people who read it are going to know it's not true.

I'd say far more people commute to the city from the suburban towns than the river cities.

Let's be realistically clear. When most people say they are moving to NJ, what they really mean is that they are looking for a house in the suburbs with a yard and good schools, and often with access to the NJ Transit rail and bus systems.

Time to again trot out the NY Times rail map with approximate commuting times for NJ and NY suburbs. None of the NJ towns listed are near "forests full of bears".

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...N_GRAPHIC.html

Old 01-18-2022, 10:42 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You're leaving out a whole lot of commutable communities between (and around, as in Paterson) the urban Hudson River cities you list and south and northwest NJ. Not sure what your intent was in doing that, but it's simply not true, and kind of a weird thing to claim, frankly, since so many people who read it are going to know it's not true.

I'd say far more people commute to the city from the suburban towns than the river cities.

Let's be realistically clear. When most people say they are moving to NJ, what they really mean is that they are looking for a house in the suburbs with a yard and good schools, and often with access to the NJ Transit rail and bus systems.

Time to again trot out the NY Times rail map with approximate commuting times for NJ and NY suburbs. None of the NJ towns listed are near "forests full of bears".

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...N_GRAPHIC.html
Did you read what I wrote? I think we agree on the same things. I said that the focus is basically on northern and maybe central NJ. People are excluding southern and northwest NJ.

PS the only bears I want to see are in the stock market.

Old 01-18-2022, 11:55 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,495,108 times
I know a realtor in NJ. He's big on the Gateway rail project (the new set of tunnels for Amtrak / NJ Transit into Penn Station.) When completed (who knows when?), this will double passenger rail capacity from NJ into NYC. He think this will cause a huge RE boom in the NJ suburbs of NY.

So, if he's right, LOTS more people will be moving from NY to NJ at some point.

Old 01-18-2022, 01:07 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I know a realtor in NJ. He's big on the Gateway rail project (the new set of tunnels for Amtrak / NJ Transit into Penn Station.) When completed (who knows when?), this will double passenger rail capacity from NJ into NYC. He think this will cause a huge RE boom in the NJ suburbs of NY.

So, if he's right, LOTS more people will be moving from NY to NJ at some point.
Oh man I hope so. The completion would coincide roughly with the time frame we're planning for our true regional exit.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City