Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 07:22 PM

593 posts, read 471,477 times

Advertisements

Even before the pandemic, office attendance was beginning to wane, because there is no value in wasting 3 hours a day commuting and sitting in a loud, poorly-ventilated office where it is impossible to concentrate. There are now tech companies that never had an office and hire people from all over the world. This doesn't bode well for large cities such as NYC. They should convert all this empty office space to low-income housing. Who will pay for that I'll leave as an exercise to the reader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 07:45 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,050,389 times
Adams spent the entire summer in Monaco being groomed by globalists for the job. Its expected.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:04 PM

621 posts, read 241,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
What if those people CAN do their jobs from home?

Well it's not THEIR choice. The employers making the decision if people can work from home or not. Up until this latest wave, the banking sector were demanding that their workers return to the office. I know my old bank colleagues were back to working downtown. Quite simply, if people are just going to stay home and work, NYC will continue its decline of empty storefronts and more homelessness to the point of no return.

Old 01-05-2022, 08:39 PM

5,713 posts, read 2,631,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Well it's not THEIR choice. The employers making the decision if people can work from home or not.
I know I love when people argue but I can work from home. You're an employee. It's not your choice. They want you there so You either go there or you quit.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:10 PM

3,352 posts, read 1,243,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I know I love when people argue but I can work from home. You're an employee. It's not your choice. They want you there so You either go there or you quit.
Right but Adams needs to understand it's not his choice either.
Telling a company if you don't have people back at the office businesses around you will fail isn't motivating them to do anything.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:16 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,898,396 times
Quote:
Well it's not THEIR choice.
As someone else kindly mentioned it actually is...

American workers have their choice to downsize or move out of NYC in particular. They can also choose not to support sending their kids to NYC colleges or help pay overpriced Manhattan rent for their kids.

Consumers and Workers can exercise their choice to not be a slave to a system that doesn't serve them adequately.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
This argument would have been valid in the year 1995.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Right but Adams needs to understand it's not his choice either.
Telling a company if you don't have people back at the office businesses around you will fail isn't motivating them to do anything.
Yeah, and the problem is that those jobs dependent upon over-taxed, overworked office professionals wasn't great margins anyways.

You send everyone back and now you have a rotating cast of 20% out sick constantly and 5% dead by end of year. Well I guess for many companies with Jack Welsch Management Styles that's just fine... I mean the 5% part anyways

Old 01-06-2022, 04:58 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,875,541 times
Quote:
Well it's not THEIR choice. The employers making the decision if people can work from home or not. Up until this latest wave, the banking sector were demanding that their workers return to the office. I know my old bank colleagues were back to working downtown. Quite simply, if people are just going to stay home and work, NYC will continue its decline of empty storefronts and more homelessness to the point of no return.
Well it IS their choice. It's an employees' market and many workers would rather quit than go back onsite. It's childish if Adams thinks employees can be forced to come back if their CEOs make them:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/omicron...re-11641384004

Likewise technology has been available for a long time. The pandemic only exposed what many knew all along.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:32 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,875,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
American workers have their choice to downsize or move out of NYC in particular. They can also choose not to support sending their kids to NYC colleges or help pay overpriced Manhattan rent for their kids.

Consumers and Workers can exercise their choice to not be a slave to a system that doesn't serve them adequately.
American workers also have their choice to be poached by other companies/competitors that are willing to let them work from home (WFH). There are corporate recruiters trolling job boards with offers of long term WFH arrangements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City