Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2022, 11:16 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,771,340 times

Advertisements

More problems with OMNY. I still use my Metrocard from time to time.

https://gothamist.com/news/mta-strug...S9c-rid4Df9YoM

The MTA’s new fare payment system OMNY has been slowly rolling out since May 2019, and a key component for its success is getting OMNY cards into people’s hands.

But the process of finding one is difficult right now.

The MTA has a map online of retail locations that are supposed to carry the cards (for those who don't have—or want to use—a smart phone or chip-enabled credit card), but in Downtown Brooklyn, Fort Greene, and on the Upper West Side in Manhattan, only a few of the shops listed had cards available.

The MTA admits it is having difficulty getting major drug store chains like Walgreens to prominently display the OMNY cards on gift card racks. In some cases, boxes of OMNY cards are sitting unopened in backrooms, said Sarah Meyer, MTA chief customer officer.

Currently, 23% of all subway and bus riders pay using the OMNY system, and less than 1% of those riders use the physical card. The MTA wants to make sure people who need physical cards can get them, which is why the agency is eager to have stores feature them prominently.

Meyer, MTA’s chief customer officer, said one challenge is teaching retail employees how to refill cards that have already been purchased. “The training piece is more difficult than we envisioned,” Meyer said, adding that she’s conducted training herself. “We’re willing to do anything.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 05:35 AM

494 posts, read 558,148 times
The OMNY card is still more expensive than my monthly metro card. If they want more people to use it they should make it a little less expensive than a monthly card for the first 6 months . If they gave a $10 monthly discount for 6 months, i'd get the card and probably be to lazy to change back to metro cards after 6 months. Right now you have to pay $5 for the card and after paying for 12 rides M-Su you get unlimited weekly rides. That is still a $33 a week, $132 a month which isn't a good deal for me because the monthly card is cheaper. And the article made it sound like you don't get 7 day unlimited, just a possible M-Su unlimited time. Generally when you get a monthly or weekly unlimited card, you pay in advance and start your unlimited time any day of the week after your first swipe. This article makes it sound like no matter what it is M-Su, which means if you don't start Monday you will never get your full 7 days of unlimited rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: