Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 11:55 AM

6,697 posts, read 6,062,366 times

Advertisements

Looks like Texas and Arizona are bussing their undocumented migrants up here.

I'm glad it's happening so that blue states can share the problem as well and fully understand why it is important to have an organized migration process. But will people up here put their money where their mouths are and open their homes and really support these migrants as they say and protest they would? Are the people of NYC willing to get their city taxes increased in order to support more housing, education, medical needs and shelter for them?

Border crisis hits NYC: Adams calls on Biden as shelters overrun with migrants

https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/adams-...with-migrants/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 12:46 PM

621 posts, read 242,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Looks like Texas and Arizona are bussing their undocumented migrants up here.

I'm glad it's happening so that blue states can share the problem as well and fully understand why it is important to have an organized migration process. But will people up here put their money where their mouths are and open their homes and really support these migrants as they say and protest they would? Are the people of NYC willing to get their city taxes increased in order to support more housing, education, medical needs and shelter for them?

Border crisis hits NYC: Adams calls on Biden as shelters overrun with migrants

https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/adams-...with-migrants/

Both states have been doing this for a while...but they're being bussed to DC. Because we don't track anyone, those people in DC are turning up here in NYC. But let's be real - if it wasn't for these migrants, restaurants, hotels, and construction would be dead in NYC. Americans don't work anymore.

Old 07-19-2022, 02:04 PM

562 posts, read 465,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Both states have been doing this for a while...but they're being bussed to DC. Because we don't track anyone, those people in DC are turning up here in NYC. But let's be real - if it wasn't for these migrants, restaurants, hotels, and construction would be dead in NYC. Americans don't work anymore.
Americans don't work anymore? That's laughable. The truth is, most Americans (especially those of us who reside in cities) tend to have advanced degrees and work as white collar professionals for corporations/ organizations, or as entrepreneurs.

Essentially, our tax dollars support the undocumented migrants.

Old 07-19-2022, 02:16 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,331,194 times
Quote:
Your statement is beyond ignorant.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:05 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,992,136 times
Slave Dynasty is part of American DNA.
America needs cheap labor. That’s how a business (USA) makes profits.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
Americans don't work anymore? That's laughable. The truth is, most Americans (especially those of us who reside in cities) tend to have advanced degrees and work as white collar professionals for corporations/ organizations, or as entrepreneurs.

Essentially, our tax dollars support the undocumented migrants.

White collar work? Every sector from banking to tech has been offshoring those jobs for decades. And since the pandemic, early retirement, death, and shifts to self-employment is making up the labor pool. Manufacturing, gone. Textiles, gone. Even semiconductors, gone (ask Intel how they're faring against TSMC). As for entrepreneurs, are you counting TikTok dancers and Instagram models? How do you measure entrepreneurs.

As I mentioned, the blue-collar work are mostly undocumented people. They stock the shelves of groceries, cook your food in restaurants, clean your room in hotels, build your roads and homes...I can go on and on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/20/6-re...g-to-work.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Your statement is beyond ignorant.

Call 988. You're in crisis.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:17 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,992,136 times
Quote:
White collar work? Every sector from banking to tech has been offshoring those jobs for decades. And since the pandemic, early retirement, death, and shifts to self-employment is making up the labor pool. Manufacturing, gone. Textiles, gone. Even semiconductors, gone (ask Intel how they're faring against TSMC). As for entrepreneurs, are you counting TikTok dancers and Instagram models? How do you measure entrepreneurs.

As I mentioned, the blue-collar work are mostly undocumented people. They stock the shelves of groceries, cook your food in restaurants, clean your room in hotels, build your roads and homes...I can go on and on.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/20/6-re...g-to-work.html

Call 988. You're in crisis.
All 5-6am LIRR trains headed to Manhattan are filled with hungover Irish/Italian construction workers. And I can assure you they make good money.

What immigrant blue collar work force are you talking about ? The gardeners ? Dish washers ?

Old 07-19-2022, 04:29 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,495,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
All 5-6am LIRR trains headed to Manhattan are filled with hungover Irish/Italian construction workers. And I can assure you they make good money.

What immigrant blue collar work force are you talking about ? The gardeners ? Dish washers ?
Pretty much every dirty, low-paying, back breaking job in the city is done by immigrants. Have you ever seen a white Doordasher? The large majority of the construction guys I see speak Spanish. All the maids are Caribbean. There's a massive immigrant blue collar workforce in the city.

And of course the LIRR trains are all white. They're coming from Long Island.

Old 07-19-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

Drive along the Van Wyck where there's always road repair going on and you won't see many Irish/Italians working. Same story on the smaller paving projects on the Deegan. For most home construction projects near me in Ridgewood, the workers are mostly latinos. This makes sense as the white pop declines in the city while latinos are growing. It's math.

Sticking with construction, check the link and look at bullet point 3 and 7, straight from the BLS.

https://www.bls.gov/spotlight/2022/t...-2020/home.htm

And this is just construction...

Old 07-19-2022, 05:12 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,062,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Pretty much every dirty, low-paying, back breaking job in the city is done by immigrants. Have you ever seen a white Doordasher? The large majority of the construction guys I see speak Spanish. All the maids are Caribbean. There's a massive immigrant blue collar workforce in the city.

And of course the LIRR trains are all white. They're coming from Long Island.
That’s not 100% true. Go to a happy hour in TriBeCa and you’ll see all sorts of legal blue collar workers who make excellent pay: iron workers, carpenters, electricians, firefighters, nurses and police are all backbreaking but high paying jobs (depending on the experience). I knew a female iron worker who made mid six figures.
Point is one cannot underestimate blue collar jobs. Many of them pay very well. My dad was a motorman for the MTA and he was able to retire at 50 with an excellent pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: