Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 05:23 PM
jyx jyx started this thread

65 posts, read 65,213 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping for some help researching cataract surgery.

NYC is so lucky to have a lot of top-notch ophthalmologists. But among them, I'm trying to research if any are particularly good with cataract surgery - maybe in terms of their experience, or their reassuring manner, or their communication skills, or the efficiency of their staff, or the thoroughness of follow-up, or anything else.

Grateful for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 12:50 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,504,012 times
I wish I could help. I had a good doctor (first retired, then died), so all I can tell you is that he said you should go to the old Eye & Ear Infirmary on 14th Street because the eye hospital further uptown had had some deaths, possibly due to anesthesia.

It's very frightening, but not as bad as you think and very rewarding.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:33 PM

Yes, seems like so many doctors have retired - many maybe due to the covid stress, but I know a few who gave up from disgust with all the paperwork required.

I think cataracts are now done as office surgery, not requiring a hospital, but I'm not sure. But good to know that the E&E still has a good reputation.

Thanks.

I guess most people here have perfect eyes.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:32 PM

11 posts, read 6,983 times
I recommend Dr Richard Deluca. He is with OCLI in Manhattan. I had a very bad cataract which made me blind in one eye. The cataract was so dense that my regular eye doctor could not see my pupil. I had to have a special test done with sound waves to see if my eye was working properly. Anyway, I was the third patient in his entire career with a really bad cataract. He knew how to operate on it. The first eye surgeon that I went to had no idea how to proceed with an operation. Dr Richard Deluca operated on my cataract and I got excellent results (Thank God). Get the lens for distance, and wear eye glasses for reading. Good Luck.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Thank you, jyx, for the Richard De Luca recommendation. I will try to get an appointment with him if he accepts my insurance. My right eye is completely useless with a cataract and I am a left brain person, hence a dominant right eye. Reading becomes tedious pretty quickly (like a 10 page limit) and I have a lot of must-reads on my bucket list before the bucket gets kicked.

I originally tried a Mount Sinai affiliated ophthalmologist and found it a disastrous choice. Thus ended my relationship with ANYTHING Mount Sinai.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-14-2022 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-26-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epower925 View Post
I recommend Dr Richard Deluca. He is with OCLI in Manhattan. I had a very bad cataract which made me blind in one eye. The cataract was so dense that my regular eye doctor could not see my pupil. I had to have a special test done with sound waves to see if my eye was working properly. Anyway, I was the third patient in his entire career with a really bad cataract. He knew how to operate on it. The first eye surgeon that I went to had no idea how to proceed with an operation. Dr Richard Deluca operated on my cataract and I got excellent results (Thank God). Get the lens for distance, and wear eye glasses for reading. Good Luck.
Thank you so much. That's the most frightening extreme example I've ever heard.

I haven't heard the doctor's name, but I'll look him up. What is OCLI? A hospital?

Old 09-03-2022, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 6,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
Thank you so much. That's the most frightening extreme example I've ever heard.

I haven't heard the doctor's name, but I'll look him up. What is OCLI? A hospital?

OCLI is a group of eye doctors which he is affiliated with. Dr Deluca did my surgery at NY Eye and Ear Hospital in Manhattan. The staff at the hospital were wonderful and extremely professional.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:57 AM

15,827 posts, read 14,466,566 times
Contact Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital. I'm sure they can give you a good referral, as they specialize in ophthalmology,. They're on E64th street, so having the procedure there would probably be convenient.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:13 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
One out of 4 cataracts surgeries fail.
Use to be once you hit your 70's it was time for surgery.
Now some in their 20's are having the procedure done.
Correlation with Blue light from TV set? Studies being conducted.

Light colored eyes more susceptible to UV damage and cataracts.
Wear glasses that block out UV even when watching ( game playing ) TV.

Just my opinion.
Best wishes..........................

Old 09-16-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thank you, jyx, for the Richard De Luca recommendation. I will try to get an appointment with him if he accepts my insurance. My right eye is completely useless with a cataract and I am a left brain person, hence a dominant right eye. Reading becomes tedious pretty quickly (like a 10 page limit) and I have a lot of must-reads on my bucket list before the bucket gets kicked.

I originally tried a Mount Sinai affiliated ophthalmologist and found it a disastrous choice. Thus ended my relationship with ANYTHING Mount Sinai.

What made you decide it was disastrous at Mt. Sinai? (I should mention I've had good experiences with other doctors affiliated with them.)

Part of my dilemma is that I don't have good guidelines for choosing, and don't know if I should just go with my current ophthalmologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City