Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 12:17 PM

155 posts, read 121,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You must be mistaken. We have a number of posters on this forum who insist that crime has always existed everywhere and in the same amount. The only difference being that now some crime is caught on cell phone cameras.

I'd urge you to reconsider this obviously erroneous statement.
LOL! I really needed that laugh. All we can do is shake our head and keep scrolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2022, 12:33 PM

270 posts, read 145,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Glad to know I live in an armpit. My section of the Bronx, though not crime-free, is way safer than constantly gentrifying yet forever ish-holes Brooklyn areas where I used to live, Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights.

Also, Brooklyn crime rate is still higher than the Bronx crime rate.
...and dont forget that tiny little sliver of Eastchester on the border of Pelham Manor...

Old 08-28-2022, 04:09 PM

870 posts, read 414,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Which areas of Soundview and Castle Hill are nice? I thought those areas were trashed years ago.
OK, not NICE like Country Club or Morris Park….Southeast of the Bruckner for Soundview, everything outside the projects for Castle Hill, like Clason Point and surrounding areas that are just suburban houses.

Old 08-28-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
Soundview is a large area, and a lot of people include Clason Point in their interpretation of Soundview. Generally, the areas south of the Bruckner Expwy are better than that north of the Bruckner Expwy.

Castle Hill is a decent area, especially between Westchester Av & the Cross Bronx/Bruckner Interchange.

The Bronx has a lot of hidden gems, but unfortunately, the large part of the borough is riddled with gang violence and quality of life crimes. It's getting more and more unbearable, and the decent areas of the Bronx are also beginning to see occurrences of crime that hadn't existed in either a very long time, or ever.
Northwest of Bruckner is straight garbage, especially around Elder Ave. The Bronx has many hidden gems, all over the borough.
And indeed, Pelham Parkway, Morris Park and Pelham Bay have seen some BS happening lately.
People come to my area, double park, and hang out all night…. And then…

Old 08-28-2022, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
...and dont forget that tiny little sliver of Eastchester on the border of Pelham Manor...
Yes but even the neighborhood as a whole, boring, dull but not terrible, even Williamsbridge and Wakefield for the most part (Besides Edenwald). Oh and also that small neighborhood called Baychester, not bad at all.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:45 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Lived in Brooklyn Bordering Queens neighborhoods for decades.
Moved when culture shock and accompanying crime disrupted the
tranquility that some will never understand or learn to appreciate.

Just the other day shopping in the supermarket someone defecated in
one of the shopping aisles. The time has come again to focus elsewhere
as the writing is once again on the walls.........errrr.......... I mean the floor.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:30 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
Glad to know I live in an armpit. My section of the Bronx, though not crime-free, is way safer than constantly gentrifying yet forever ish-holes Brooklyn areas where I used to live, Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights.

Also, Brooklyn crime rate is still higher than the Bronx crime rate.
The Bronx and Brooklyn have always been in a tug of war. Which place is most dysfunctional? I lived in Clinton Hill briefly during the end of the Bloomberg era and still didn't feel safe. Not sure why people still move to either in droves, only to pay exorbitant prices to duck and dodge bullets.

I think the bottom line is many Americans simply value liberty and freedom above health and quality of life. If Queens ever becomes as violent as the other boroughs I'll probably have to leave this city for good.

I was born and raised in Queens but the day too many bullets start flying here I'll have to make some other city my home unfortunately. Queens is the only liveable place in the 5 boroughs, period!!!

Old 08-29-2022, 06:33 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The Bronx and Brooklyn have always been in a tug of war. Which place is most dysfunctional? I lived in Clinton Hill briefly during the end of the Bloomberg era and still didn't feel safe. Not sure why people still move to either in droves, only to pay exorbitant prices to duck and dodge bullets.

I think the bottom line is many Americans simply value liberty and freedom above health and quality of life. If Queens ever becomes as violent as the other boroughs I'll probably have to leave this city for good.

I was born and raised in Queens but the day too many bullets start flying here I'll have to make some other city my home unfortunately. Queens is the only liveable place in the 5 boroughs, period!!!
What an asinine statement. Each of the five boroughs have neighborhoods that are a challenge to live in (including Queens) and plenty that are a joy to live in. Someone living in Brooklyn Heights, Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge, Mill Basin or Windsor Terrace is not dealing with quality of life issues like someone in East New York, Brownsville, Canarsie or Cypress Hills, and in The Bronx, someone living in Riverdale, Country Club, Edgewater Park, Morris Park, City Island, Pelham Gardens or Woodlawn is not dealing with quality of life issues like someone in Tremont, Mott Haven, Morrisania, University Heights, Morris Heights or Melrose.

That's like saying that someone in Forest Hills, Little Neck, Douglaston or Jamaica Estates should be running for the exits because of crime in Far Rockaway or Jamaica. I'm speaking as an outer borough resident and native "New Yawka".

Old 08-29-2022, 08:07 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
and in The Bronx, someone living in Riverdale, Country Club, Edgewater Park, Morris Park, City Island, Pelham Gardens or Woodlawn is not dealing with quality of life issues like someone in Tremont, Mott Haven, Morrisania, University Heights, Morris Heights or Melrose.
Folks in Throggs Neck sure as hell cry about it on social media as if they were.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:18 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Folks in Throggs Neck sure as hell cry about it on social media as if they were.
There have been issues with noise and loud parties on Tremont Av it's been and a source of contention with one of the businesses on that strip and yes a source of concern, but overall Throggs Neck and especially Edgewater Park (which is a private community within Throggs Neck) are certainly not under siege in terms of overall violence when compared to say the South Bronx. I live in an outer borough and we had a Community Board meeting recently where people complained about loud music. Sometimes the music can travel from quite far from several neighborhoods over and even from another borough.

Quality of life issues will always vary and considering how bad some neighborhoods are now currently, I think overall the neighborhoods I mentioned that are known to be safe are still fairly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City