Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 05:58 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times

Advertisements

Wondering if other people have seen how bad the USPS has become with mail delivery and packages? I've noticed that delivery has worsened since before the pandemic, but it seems to be even worse now. I was expecting an item from Upstate New York, about a four hour drive from here. Well the first delivery was sent to the wrong location. I believe that was the sender's fault. The second delivery was supposed to be delivered two days ago and not only is it delayed, but they have no idea when it will be sorted and ready for delivery. It's been sitting at a sorting facility for almost three days. I'm hoping to get it by the end of next week with the holiday, but this is nuts.

I had no control over the shipping option, but had I known I would be waiting over two weeks for an item shipping within New York State, I would've opted for UPS or even FedEx.

Mail delivery has been just as bad, both at home and at work. Mail returned to sender with adequate postage on it. Seems like they are understaffed and people aren't paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 06:34 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
NYC postal service has always been third world.

Don't forget- post office pays the same whether in Manhattan, NY or Manhattan, Kansas.

What can you really expect?

Old 09-02-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
NYC postal service has always been third world.

Don't forget- post office pays the same whether in Manhattan, NY or Manhattan, Kansas.

What can you really expect?
Mediocre, yes, but not this bad. Having mail returned to sender randomly is what we really gets me. I don't get much mail these days at home so not too many issues save on occasion, but we do in the office and it seems like we're lucky to get mail once a week at times.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:41 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,079,693 times
A few weeks ago I bought something on ebay from a seller in the Bronx. The Bronx post office sent it to the Jersey City distribution center (which is a place where packages stay for a long time). Jersey City sent it to the White Plains USPS distribution center which then sent it back to Jersey City facility and it finally came to me in Queens. A 35 minute drive turned into a multi day odyssey.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
USPS has the same problem like everyone else,in my area,so far not much problem.
Some said if you open a mail box with USPS or any mail station,it is better as they always go there .

Old 09-02-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
USPS has the same problem like everyone else,in my area,so far not much problem.
Some said if you open a mail box with USPS or any mail station,it is better as they always go there .
I rarely get packages sent by USPS, but that's good to know. I may do that and see, as I can have other things sent there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
A few weeks ago I bought something on ebay from a seller in the Bronx. The Bronx post office sent it to the Jersey City distribution center (which is a place where packages stay for a long time). Jersey City sent it to the White Plains USPS distribution center which then sent it back to Jersey City facility and it finally came to me in Queens. A 35 minute drive turned into a multi day odyssey.
That's the crazy thing. I thought with the zip code that came up, it would be delivered on-time. It's supposedly at a mail facility in Manhattan, but hasn't moved since August 31st. Thought the tracking was off, but nope. I confirmed yesterday. The customer rep. goes, oh well it was supposed to arrive Wednesday, but that isn't guaranteed. Yeah, I know, hence why I'm following up.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:03 AM

3,730 posts, read 3,463,351 times
This has been one of the most visible changes ive noticed since moving north upstate out of the Bronx. USPS service is friggen amazing up here!

When we moved in our house the regular mail lady knocked on our door to welcome us, she gives our kids lollipops as she passed thru the neighborhood, calls us by out first names, and if we go on vacation she will hold our mail in her truck until we get back.

The local post office is clean, bright and the employees welcome you with a smile. No lost or delayed mail yet!

100% recommended moving away from the city.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
This has been one of the most visible changes ive noticed since moving north upstate out of the Bronx. USPS service is friggen amazing up here!

When we moved in our house the regular mail lady knocked on our door to welcome us, she gives our kids lollipops as she passed thru the neighborhood, calls us by out first names, and if we go on vacation she will hold our mail in her truck until we get back.

The local post office is clean, bright and the employees welcome you with a smile. No lost or delayed mail yet!

100% recommended moving away from the city.
Now that's interesting. So you're saying it's a NYC thing...

Old 09-02-2022, 10:55 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,395,327 times
I have more issues with FedEx and UPS than with the post office

Old 09-02-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
I have more issues with FedEx and UPS than with the post office
FedEx is a toss up, but only at gone. UPS and FedEx are both fine at the office. At home, FedEx sometimes delivers to the wrong address. Too busy yacking on the phone. UPS is fine at home. I had two items that I had to sign for. UPS guy brought everything to the door, handed them to me very professionally, etc. Some guys just slam your things on the ground. It was electronics, so I was happy to see that he was gentile with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City