Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2022, 12:40 PM

18 posts, read 21,678 times

Advertisements

I passed 2 in 1 city job exam (one is CUNY), and over six months passed, and I haven't gotten any call from city HR.
The score is over 70 by luck( I didn't try my best to prepare for the exam well).

Nowadays, many city departments are hiring now.
Should I apply on the city jobs web? https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/psc/nycjob...OCUS=Applicant
I just saw CUNY website, they are hiring till filled, so just write a cover letter and resume with the exam result attached.
But I saw city jobs on the web, no more attachments could upload except resume and cover letter.
How does HR know I passed the exam? Or they could search my name on OASYs and find out my exam score?
Should I apply for city jobs by writing my exam score in my cover letter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 06:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,889 times
First off, it's a good start to have passed an exam. You're really at the first stages of city hiring which is a process that will test your patience & aspirations. I would suggest you give this thread a look over [https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...#post63950710] At this point, you are waiting for lists to be established off the exam/s you took. These lists can take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to establish & then at that point list certifications will begin [explained in the linked post] As for applying, I will say it does not hurt, but your odds at this moment will be extremely low to almost non existent. Until you have a ranking on an established list, really all you're going to do is wait. Your 70 score may be a #50 rank or a # 3000, so it's all about what rank is established on a eligible list and then once they have certified lists & begin to pool candidates for positions that's when things become actionable. At this point, all you can do is wait & see how long things take to progress. Probably not the answer you're looking for, passing was your fist baby step. how you did against other candidates will be the second step.

Old 09-11-2022, 10:59 AM

18 posts, read 21,678 times
Thank you, I found the process link https://www.nychealthandhospitals.or...-exam-process/

Old 09-15-2022, 06:40 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,350 times
The civil service system is not in a good state. They should go back to written exams. All of these Education and Experience exams means most people score 100, whether they qualify or not, and you can have thousands of people ahead of you with a score of 100. You may never be reached for a hiring pool with a 100 score. This has become a money grab like those speed camera 24/7 in NYC

Old 09-15-2022, 10:52 AM

53 posts, read 50,695 times
how does the salary work?

do they add a % amount to your current salary or does it have to be the exact salary they are offering?

Old 09-15-2022, 11:53 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenouveau View Post
how does the salary work?

do they add a % amount to your current salary or does it have to be the exact salary they are offering?
You typically have no leverage. They will offer you the minimum and you take it or leave with open competitive hiring pools. If you decline, they will extend an offer to their 2nd choice. There are many candidates and very few job openings with these lists. You may have some negotiation leverage with the promotional hiring pools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: