Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 04:04 PM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times

Advertisements

I was in city last few weekends exploring architecture and ancient artifacts.
On both occasions we stopped by to have lunch. Da Gennaro, for a mild lunch which took 45 minutes to come out and PiO PiO for their heavenly chicken and green sauce which also took 25 minutes to just place an order.

I noticed a lack of urgency in both cases. I was very close to waking out half way through the wait. Service outside Manhattan is on fire and on point, but in the city where you would think waiters would be doing backflips while getting you a seat, it is not the case.

I always tip with cash and I did this time as well, but this time and probably the first time, I had to calculate 7% as a tip just to make a point. I’d leave $5 both times but I was with kids and didn’t want to argue in front of kids.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 07:37 PM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
NYC just s**ks. its simple.

Jacked up minimum wages, out of control tips, etc and we still have to deal with p*ss poor service. I went to few countries in Europe and people were so friendly and helpful. Chef even came out to talk and thanked me. Its hard to justify being in NY anymore

Old 09-09-2022, 08:46 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
People are entitled. I placed an order online for food recently. I get confirmation that my food is ready. Arrived a good twenty minutes later, only to find that my order was never made.

A half pre-made salad, an avocado toast and a breakfast sandwich. How long can it take to make that? Forty minutes had gone by from the time I placed the order until my arrival and I had to sit and wait another 15 minutes to get my food. Guy at the counter seemed clueless. The kitchen seemed unaware that a few online orders had been placed. If it isn't their responsibility, then whose responsibility is it?

Old 09-09-2022, 09:22 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
NYC just s**ks. its simple.

Jacked up minimum wages, out of control tips, etc and we still have to deal with p*ss poor service. I went to few countries in Europe and people were so friendly and helpful. Chef even came out to talk and thanked me. Its hard to justify being in NY anymore
That says it all really

Old 09-09-2022, 09:29 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Part of the problem, I think, is that lots of places had to hire whole new crews after the shutdown, and then didn’t train them properly. Poor training IMO is usually what leads to poor customer service in restaurants and retail. Managers either don’t tell employees how to act right on the job, or they don’t get rid of employees who won’t.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:55 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Part of the problem, I think, is that lots of places had to hire whole new crews after the shutdown, and then didn’t train them properly. Poor training IMO is usually what leads to poor customer service in restaurants and retail. Managers either don’t tell employees how to act right on the job, or they don’t get rid of employees who won’t.
Training has indeed been horrible in a number of places, but at the same time, why should anyone have to be "trained" to have manners?

After expecting my order to be ready a good forty minutes earlier, the counter person just said it wasn't ready and offered no apology. Wasn't expecting anything to be comped, but apologies for the long wait or something... It's amazing how so many people don't have people skills and aren't taught manners at home.

Old 09-10-2022, 03:36 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
I don’t understand what’s so difficult about handing out menus when people sit down and perhaps checking up on them 4-5 minutes after to take an order.

I went out with a friend not long ago locally by us, LI. Some random steak house and the chef who is a co owner came around asking folks how the food was. I thought it was a nice touch.
Now the steak was ok, not Luger or anything but it was fine. We left a great rip. The atmosphere felt right.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:09 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
The new reality.

The lack of enthusiasm is overwhelming among many of my encounters in food establishments.
Ordered a slice of pizza. Half hour later young girl face to the phone asked " Why are you still waiting? "
I replied " I ordered a slice to go! " Hands me my slice from the outgoings and apologized.
Face on her phone the whole time.
This generation of young men and woman having been severely impacted by the poor trajectory
of our economy ,poor outlook on life .............exacerbated by a Covid Crisis.
Pathetic............

These face junkies are glued to their $1,000 dollar phones in a detached reality.
Showing up for just a paycheck seems to be the only thing that gets them up in the morning.

Looks like the 70's all over again ...........but with a phone attached to the face.
I see Borgs in my Horizon dining experience.....................

Old 09-12-2022, 07:16 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I was in city last few weekends exploring architecture and ancient artifacts.
On both occasions we stopped by to have lunch. Da Gennaro, for a mild lunch which took 45 minutes to come out and PiO PiO for their heavenly chicken and green sauce which also took 25 minutes to just place an order.

I noticed a lack of urgency in both cases. I was very close to waking out half way through the wait. Service outside Manhattan is on fire and on point, but in the city where you would think waiters would be doing backflips while getting you a seat, it is not the case.

I always tip with cash and I did this time as well, but this time and probably the first time, I had to calculate 7% as a tip just to make a point. I’d leave $5 both times but I was with kids and didn’t want to argue in front of kids.

What gives?
I can't tell you "what gives," but I can tell you it would also have been good if you'd also spoken with the manager (that way they'll know that the 7% was because you were unhappy, not because you were stingy). And why wouldn't you want to argue in front of the kids? Consider that you'd be imparting a lesson on how to complain.

Old 09-13-2022, 01:14 AM

30 posts, read 15,948 times
Apathy and anti enthusiasm sums it up. When is the last time you bought anything in the city without some form or another of bad feelings from the staff? I cannot remember when. It is hard not to when everything is so overpriced.

If you want to know what truly tipped the scales into these depressing times for workers, look no further than the millions and millions of illegal foreign workers parasitizing our cities future.

NYC can handle 9/11, it can handle pandemics, we can weather recessions and depressions, but this city is never going to survive the illegal alien invasion. We are finished. The illegals have poisoned NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City