Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 12:29 PM

23 posts, read 7,032 times

Advertisements

Hi all -- I know it's probably a strange question, but can't hurt to ask!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to live in a building rent free in exchange for a service to the building? I think a super would be a good idea - but not for me since I have no skills in that arena.

I'm interested in Astoria or the UWS.

I wonder how to find opportunities like these, if they exist...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 12:31 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
Be a live in nanny.
Check on care.com

Old 09-15-2022, 02:32 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times
This is NYC. Landlords and renters are increasingly careful with this kind of deal due to liberal judges forcing them to accept deadbeat tenants. Supers are a different story as they are usually but not always union (seiu local 32bj) and have professional service contract templates with the building owners.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Be a live in nanny.
Check on care.com
That's a great idea, thanks!

Old 09-15-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
This is NYC. Landlords and renters are increasingly careful with this kind of deal due to liberal judges forcing them to accept deadbeat tenants. Supers are a different story as they are usually but not always union (seiu local 32bj) and have professional service contract templates with the building owners.
That is a great point I hadn't thought of. Landlords would be leery because it's hard to get rid of people - so if they did a service in trade but let's say I didn't actually work as agreed upon they'd be afraid that I would just...stay there. I hadn't thought of that but it's a great point.

Yeah there's no way I could be a super, I don't know how to fix things. A porter (someone who cleans, takes out trash, etc.) -or reception desk- I could do something like that. But from what you're saying it would make sense they'd pay someone to do those tasks rather than have them live-in. Thanks for the insight.

Old 09-15-2022, 04:42 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,341 times
Buildings are more likely to accept a super because they know a super is a licensed tradesman with a ton of certifications and union membership he ( and let's be real, it's usually a he) won't throw away their skills for cheating the system. This is because these private agencies can act in ways the state cannot like suspending or kicking out membership.

If you tell the judge you deserve free rent due to a moratorium then the landlord or renter is out of luck. Yes, that's right. Even if you're not a landlord, the judge can force you as a renter or owner occupant to house a deadbeat rent free. They don't care about contractual obligations entered into willingly by parties.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/25/elderl...ate-from-hell/

Old 09-15-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Buildings are more likely to accept a super because they know a super is a licensed tradesman with a ton of certifications and union membership he ( and let's be real, it's usually a he) won't throw away their skills for cheating the system. This is because these private agencies can act in ways the state cannot like suspending or kicking out membership.

If you tell the judge you deserve free rent due to a moratorium then the landlord or renter is out of luck. Yes, that's right. Even if you're not a landlord, the judge can force you as a renter or owner occupant to house a deadbeat rent free. They don't care about contractual obligations entered into willingly by parties.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/25/elderl...ate-from-hell/
What an article. Poor couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City