Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2022, 07:21 PM

30 posts, read 22,098 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I were approved for an apartment. Or should I say, he was approved.

I am reviewing the lease and I just see his name on the lease. I noticed they would only send emails to him about the lease. This man never checks his gmail. He works from his work email. Another reason I should be cc'd on all emails.

My husband adds me to the email and request that I be cc'd every time. Still that does not happen. In my line of work, I am use to reading agreements. So as always my husband trust me to review the lease. Me not being listed on the lease is concerning. The lease is pretty much standard, but it states the tenant listed on the lease can live at the building for the time stated on the lease. The tenant listed on the lease is the only one who can use the amenities.

My husband and I have been together for over (5) years, although I doubt he would hurt me by kicking me out, he has a right to if he signs this lease and I am not included. The broker mentioned that the landlord might not like my credit. I have years of student loans on my recorded and with the interests it has increased over the years. However, my income is solid. I make more than husband and I have a longer history in my profession than my husband.

Also, I must mention I have no other issue renting in NYC. No evictions, always paid on time. Rent and house bills come my account. My husband manages our savings. This works for us. Anyway. What do you think about this? Is it normal for a spouse to not be on the lease? Should I fight for my name to be on the lease?

So this is a Rent Stabilized Building. If we move in, this will be our first rent stabilized unit. In the the lease it states,

Previous Legal Regulated Rent $2,500.

Statutory Vacancy Increase 3.25% = $65

So does that mean this apartment should be listed at $2,565 not $2,794?

The unit was listed for this amount $2,794. Also! The unit was listed for this amount $2,794 but the lease says 2,796.00

Please note, we have already paid the broker, deposit and first of the month. Don't crucify me I know. Silly before you sign the lease but I was busy at work and needed to make sure my family had a place to live.

Please let me know what I should do.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 04:59 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
i know that if someone dies, then the spouse and children (& grandchildren) that have been living with them in the apartment (I think 2 years at least) are allowed to continue with the same conditions as the lease holder. I would assume the same holds true during the time of the lease (that family has the same rights to live there and use the building's amenities). But I don't know what the situation is if there is a separation or divorce (although I assume that the leaseholder would have more rights to stay than the non-leaseholder). I suggest you contact the NYC Housing Authority to find out your exact rights as a non-lease holder or request to be added to the lease (which I assume you would need your spouse's consent to do so).

Old 09-25-2022, 09:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
Quote:
Does a tenant in a rent stabilized apartment have the right to add their spouse's name to the lease?

Yes. The tenant has the right, upon request to the owner, to have the name of his or her spouse added to the lease as an additional tenant, if the spouse resides in the apartment as a primary residence.
................NYC Rent Guidlines Board website
So, request the owner to modify the lease.
Your Credit has nothing to do with the issue because the landlord has the option of suing EITHER signatory or BOTH in the event of a dispute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: