Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 04:46 PM

2,625 posts, read 1,222,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A lot are also neither since those two categories sometimes don't generate the kind of income that makes living in NYC a lot more pleasant--well, unless you're actually a star in the latter category where you're actually making a substantial living off of social media which does exist.
Trust funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 05:37 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
A lot are also neither since those two categories sometimes don't generate the kind of income that makes living in NYC a lot more pleasant--well, unless you're actually a star in the latter category where you're actually making a substantial living off of social media which does exist.

Oy Crumbler............Well done! You got it right.
The more income the city generates the better the quality of life but
it must be real money. Blood ,sweat and tears money
or barrels of it will only buy this generation a loaf of bread.

Let builders build all they want in the 5 boroughs.
Believe this city is the creme de la creme.
Bring on the millions of immigrants to our sanctuary city and feed them government subsidies.
Watch as thousands line up in front of Home Depot in search of a day's pay.
Watch as your child's phone,watch and wallet gets snatched on the way to school.
Watch the delivery men have their scooters stolen and then beaten for fun.
Watch thru the blinds at night as bullets ricochet around your apartment.
Watch as taking the train to work becomes a battle field.
Watch as people are killed in broad daylight and their wallets snatched.
Watch as giddy onlookers laugh while continuing filming this catastrophe in the making..

From rows of phallus's littering the city to phalanxes containing them from leaving.
This is what I see coming...This is what many see. This is why many have left....

1/2 of the puzzle is for a mother and father teaching their child
to love God ,Family and Country and contribute to Society.
The other 1/2 is up to the local government to create and supply jobs
lest people run amok with the excuse of mental illness laying to waste everything in their path.

I pray for
return to Quality of Life as remembered by the greatest generation and boomers.
Life is too short and I am not waiting around...........

Old 10-11-2022, 06:21 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Trust funds.
Probably exists to a very limited extent for transplants in terms of domestic migration and far more likely from abroad than domestically. If Iowa and Ohio were making people so goddamn wealthy that they were able to set up so much of their young ones with trust funds, then a lot more people would be headed that-a-way and their GDP per capita and median household income would be a lot higher as they aren't exactly massive population pools the way all of China or India are. I think one thing to watch for over the next year is going to be the East Asian well-heeled immigration and visitor population as much of those countries still have fairly restrictive quarantine rules upon returning even for the well-heeled, so I think that has likely somewhat depressed things for NYC which is a pretty major center for international study abroad, visitors, and immigrants for these places in the US. One thing that I don't think I'm misremembering or "misnoticing" is that the proportion of East Asians in tonier and more touristic parts of Manhattan like Greenwich Village is lower than it was pre-pandemic while the proportion of South Asians has been higher.

Anyhow, crime in NYC is still pretty low compared to parts of the past as well as compared to other major cities, so while it's a deterrent to some, it's probably not as much of one since, unfortunately, a lot of US cities had substantial crime increases over the course of the pandemic. A lot of people who were already on shaky financial grounds before the pandemic were hit hard during it across the US. So if those were push factors away from NYC, they're ones that aren't particularly unique to NYC among US cities. Meanwhile, I think a lot of things on the Internet have made the city a lot more accessible which is maybe a pull factor. I would think healthier ways to try to slow down the pricing out of people would be workfare programs and other ways to get people to be more productive and pull in more funds, improved transit on a regional level (a RER/S-Bahn type of system) and zoning reforms for the entire region so that more housing is built throughout and that further flung parts are made more attractive, and developing more housing within the city but having mechanisms for them to not have massive portions of that sapped into short-term rentals and pied-a-terres. Ultimately, it'd be nice if the US had other larger, walkable urban cores as alternatives to NYC.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-11-2022 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-11-2022, 08:32 AM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times
Quote:
Probably exists to a very limited extent for transplants in terms of domestic migration and far more likely from abroad than domestically. If Iowa and Ohio were making people so goddamn wealthy that they were able to set up so much of their young ones with trust funds, then a lot more people would be headed that-a-way and their GDP per capita and median household income would be a lot higher as they aren't exactly massive population pools the way all of China or India are. I think one thing to watch for over the next year is going to be the East Asian well-heeled immigration and visitor population as much of those countries still have fairly restrictive quarantine rules upon returning even for the well-heeled, so I think that has likely somewhat depressed things for NYC which is a pretty major center for international study abroad, visitors, and immigrants for these places in the US. One thing that I don't think I'm misremembering or "misnoticing" is that the proportion of East Asians in tonier and more touristic parts of Manhattan like Greenwich Village is lower than it was pre-pandemic while the proportion of South Asians has been higher.

Anyhow, crime in NYC is still pretty low compared to parts of the past as well as compared to other major cities, so while it's a deterrent to some, it's probably not as much of one since, unfortunately, a lot of US cities had substantial crime increases over the course of the pandemic. A lot of people who were already on shaky financial grounds before the pandemic were hit hard during it across the US. So if those were push factors away from NYC, they're ones that aren't particularly unique to NYC among US cities. Meanwhile, I think a lot of things on the Internet have made the city a lot more accessible which is maybe a pull factor. I would think healthier ways to try to slow down the pricing out of people would be workfare programs and other ways to get people to be more productive and pull in more funds, improved transit on a regional level (a RER/S-Bahn type of system) and zoning reforms for the entire region so that more housing is built throughout and that further flung parts are made more attractive, and developing more housing within the city but having mechanisms for them to not have massive portions of that sapped into short-term rentals and pied-a-terres. Ultimately, it'd be nice if the US had other larger, walkable urban cores as alternatives to NYC.
Crime in NYC are usually opportunistic crime. Because majority of people don’t go out at odd times or avoid certain areas. The crime rate seems lower than old stats. If people simply go out whenever and wherever they want then crime stats will be higher. Too many criminals lurking around the streets at night and lightly patrolled areas. NYPD used to walk the beats everywhere but today they use data collection and only patrol areas where high crime stats.

So it’s not that crime is high or low, it’s the high element of crime and abundance of deranged and criminals causing people to avoid going out more. This is reflected on the lower subway usage and higher usage of Uber. While the NYPD can show less crime, that’s because people are not going out as much and refrain from using a dangerous subway system.

If they don’t reduce the element of crime and taking criminals off the streets, businesses and subway usage will drop. Less stores are opened up late around NYC and many retail simply close completely due to high theft.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:11 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Crime in NYC are usually opportunistic crime. Because majority of people don’t go out at odd times or avoid certain areas. The crime rate seems lower than old stats. If people simply go out whenever and wherever they want then crime stats will be higher. Too many criminals lurking around the streets at night and lightly patrolled areas. NYPD used to walk the beats everywhere but today they use data collection and only patrol areas where high crime stats.

So it’s not that crime is high or low, it’s the high element of crime and abundance of deranged and criminals causing people to avoid going out more. This is reflected on the lower subway usage and higher usage of Uber. While the NYPD can show less crime, that’s because people are not going out as much and refrain from using a dangerous subway system.

If they don’t reduce the element of crime and taking criminals off the streets, businesses and subway usage will drop. Less stores are opened up late around NYC and many retail simply close completely due to high theft.
This is true to some extent, but it's hard to tell by how much. Certainly the popular nightlife areas as far as I can tell are back to being packed as are popular venues. I'm out pretty often to different parts of the city including at late night, and it most certainly seems like a lot of that is back. Not going to certain areas whether it's crime and/or lack of reason to do so though was something that was part and parcel of NYC since well before I moved to this city and will likely continue. The same goes with opportunistic crimes--it's not like there are all that many places where crime is a great master-minded work of genius criminals.

NYC subway ridership not yet returning to previous highs though are a combination of things and not necessarily due to crime or at least not wholly due to crime since weekend ridership levels are much more recovered than weekday ridership despite weaker weekend subway service levels and consistently large slates of weekend service changes for maintenance. What that points to, and is pretty evident from commuter rail ridership levels, is that the commuting component was likely hit hardest and that has a lot to do with work from home policies because irrespective of crime there are still quite a few people who switched to working from home and do *not* want to do full-time daily weekday commutes. That should be understandable to most people.

On top of that, bikeshare which has expanded through the pandemic and added a large fleet of e-bikes and biking and other means of "micromobility" in general especially with cheap e-bikes and scooters whether kickscooters or mopeds, have notably greater presences than ever before which is also hard to completely attribute to crime. E-bikes and scooters are a lot better for the price than they used to be with far greater range and affordability than in the past and a lot of people purchased theirs and got used to them during the pandemic when they were either afraid to take the subway because of covid and/or because service levels were dropped. This part of things is a continuing trend that appears to be global, and it's probably somewhat correlated with more work from home where people at least aren't going the long distances that a lot of commuters used to.

This isn't to say crime as well as homelessness shouldn't be dealt with or hasn't gotten worse from 2019 as pretty much any amount of crime and homelessness is bad and among developed countries, US cities often have some pretty atrocious crime rates even when NYC was at its recent crime rate lows it was still high in comparison and needed work. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't other factors at play when citing things like subway ridership.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-11-2022 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-11-2022, 01:26 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
It is your responsibility to remain relevant and up to date with your skills to make a good living.
Simple economics all around the world.
And it's also people's responsibility to NOT HAVE KIDZ if they can't stay relevant.

Evolve/Adapt or Die.

Old 10-12-2022, 09:29 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,675,690 times
Would love to see a study done on the correlation between cost of city living and slowing gentrification.....

Old 10-12-2022, 09:53 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,771 times
Where do ppl get the idea transplants are from Ohio or other Midwest states? Those places are poor. Have you seen what $200k gets you in Ohio vs NYC? One is a mansion the other a shack in east NY.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:20 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Where do ppl get the idea transplants are from Ohio or other Midwest states? Those places are poor. Have you seen what $200k gets you in Ohio vs NYC? One is a mansion the other a shack in east NY.

Half the people in my condo when I use to live in DUMBO were transplanted from the midwest- these were the high paid professional type. The other half were trustfund losers whose parents lived in LI/Westchester.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:37 AM

2,625 posts, read 1,222,031 times
Crime might have slowed down gentrification, but it's speeding up my bladder and bowel movements every time I walk down the street and see suspicious characters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City