Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 07:06 AM

2,988 posts, read 1,173,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Although it takes gentries to change a neighborhood these people will come quickly when there are
beautiful buildings with doormen erected as opposed to moving into a rat infested ghetto.

Architect /property developers know that if they build they will come.

Unfortunately , developers ( my opinion ) have changed the fabric of neighborhoods for worse due to over development.
Many do not live in N.Y.C. let alone the Unites States yet they enjoy using our neighborhoods as their sandbox project.

I do support development but let the community board have the final say not politicians that live outside of the 5 boroughs
on when and where to develop.

I'm sure many N.Y.C. residents are familiar with the scenario.
" You live on a block of one family homes for many years only to come home one day
and find the neighbor's home torn down. A monster mansion is built in it's place. Blocks
your sunlight, your views, and sticks out like a sore thumb ."

Now imagine this on a monumental scale.
The hi rise blocks out sunlight for thousands of feet.
The views of the park or bay or forest no longer visible.
It is more than a sore thumb. It is a concrete tombstone
to the community but to new comers a welcoming mat of
polished marble , eloquent doormen, modern elevators
and views as far as the eyes can see..........

Gentrification:
Used to be defined as changing the character of a poor urban area.
The reality is changing the character of any urban area by means of development as long as money can be made.
Doesn't matter if development fails to attract new business. Doesn't matter if long time residents ( not particularly poor )
are displaced.

I have seen what has happened to L.I.C.
I have seen what has happened to Brooklyn along Flatbush.
I have seen what happened to Williamsburg
just to name a few...

................ and the transformation is less than appealing.
Columbia University along with Elliot Spitzer
Intimate domain a storage locker building they also took over a newly renovated building and moved the low income residents who have lived there for years and knock down the building I have no problem with gratification some places need it I do have problem with the hypocrisy from people like Columbia University who ranted against it for years!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 03:44 PM

16,157 posts, read 6,903,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Columbia University along with Elliot Spitzer
Intimate domain a storage locker building they also took over a newly renovated building and moved the low income residents who have lived there for years and knock down the building I have no problem with gratification some places need it I do have problem with the hypocrisy from people like Columbia University who ranted against it for years!!
Absolutely..................

Columbia, last I remember was purchasing property up on 148th st.
Far and removed from its central location.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:49 PM

870 posts, read 417,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Gentrification slowed down a lot under DeBlasio. People were talking about Bushwick gentrifying during Bloombergs 3rd term, if things had continued since then Bushwick would be fully gentrified by now.
You obviously didn't live in North Brooklyn under DeBlasio's two terms.... obvioulsy... this is when gentrification became final in most areas.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:21 PM

1,432 posts, read 733,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
You obviously didn't live in North Brooklyn under DeBlasio's two terms.... obvioulsy... this is when gentrification became final in most areas.
Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Fort Greene etc. all gentrified like crazy under Bloomberg. Bushwick was starting to get a spillover from Williamsburg. Fast forward 8+ years later and the story is still the same, except all these areas are likely worse.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:29 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,269,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Fort Greene etc. all gentrified like crazy under Bloomberg. Bushwick was starting to get a spillover from Williamsburg. Fast forward 8+ years later and the story is still the same, except all these areas are likely worse.
Bed Stuy and Bushwick are now the modern incarnate of Hipster Williamsburg. I'm not sure exactly why (most likely huge rent increases) but post COVID, Bed Study and Bushwick gentrification is in hyper drive. Interest in ENY has exploded which just goes to show you how much pressure there is on Bed Study and Bushwick.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:24 PM

1,052 posts, read 454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
improved transit on a regional level (a RER/S-Bahn type of system) and zoning reforms for the entire region so that more housing is built throughout and that further flung parts are made more attractive, and developing more housing within the city but having mechanisms for them to not have massive portions of that sapped into short-term rentals and pied-a-terres. Ultimately, it'd be nice if the US had other larger, walkable urban cores as alternatives to NYC.
Yeah, dream on. In a city so crippled by NIMBYism and union corruption where a mere 3 new subway stations cost $10 billion and 10 years to build, I do not think we will ever see a new subway line or an express urban/suburban system like an S-Bahn or even London's Crossrail. Although it would be a massive improvement to the city's infrastructure for sure...

There are large walkable urban cores in the US as NYC alternatives. Chicago, Boston and even Washington DC all certainly come to mind.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:34 PM

1,052 posts, read 454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
How do you think Midwesterners who spend (at least) 4 years in college in the Northeast and then settle in NYC are classified?

You're woefully underestimating Midwestern transplants in NYC and it's probably because you're not familiar with where they live. They tend to be higher earning corporate and (now) tech types who are married and have families by their mid 30s. They're all over Manhattan and "brownstone"/ downtown Brooklyn.

Northeast transplants are way over -indexed in (what everyone used to call )"hipster" neighborhoods (current day Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, etc.). The Midwesterners who come to NYC tend to be the more ambitious and educated (on average) than Northeast transplants.

Also, when the "Midwest" is mentioned, most people mean "not from the Northeast or West Coast". It's not strictly what is geographically regarded as "the Midwest".
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea about such a dichotomy but I think both Midwesterners and East Coast people are about equally represented in both transplant "groups." Specifically I know for a fact that in the finance/corporate white collar transplant category there are definitely many regional people from Jersey, East PA, DC suburbs etc who come to NYC as well as the "big 10" graduate Midwesterners.

As for the "starving artist" transplants, they really come from all over the place. And in many ways I think they annoy me more than the white collar corporate types. It's usually the "starving artists" who scream the loudest in favor of woke lunacies such as bail reform, permanent rent freezes, endless illegal immigration etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City