Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 12:23 PM

10 posts, read 7,855 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering buying a co op here, but I can’t find much info on requirements of the board or what the approval process looks like. I own my private practice as a therapist and he is in law enforcement.
Anyone know the Co-op requirements for approval?

Also, we are a family of color and also was wondering what is the environment like.

Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 12:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,092,135 times
I think there are old threads Re Edgewater...or at least extensive discussions of Edgewater within other old threads if you search this site.

Edgewater has a well documented history of being Archie Bunker territory. Not sure if it's as bad today as it was 10 years ago but the bottom line was that you only got shown places by/with certain brokers who were more or less under the thumb of the owners and that you needed letters of recommendation from 3 shareholders to be considered. If you "looked" right a real estate agent would tell you that the requirement was a technicality and that he/she could arrange for you to meet 3 shareholders to get recommendations from them. If you didn't "look" right they would tell you that you couldn't get in without the 3 recommendations and leave it at that. I was a NYC teacher and a lot of teachers are married to cops. I knew a few of them ( teacher/cop couples) who lived there. They didn't exactly hide what was going on there. Maybe even happy about it.

Things might be more open these days ( especially when in law enforcement because law enforcement is a large percentage of owners) but my guess is that it's not much more open.....maybe just a little. Or maybe not. They might have been forced to abandon the inconsistent application of admission rules but I would bet that the "environment" isn't exactly welcoming.

I think it was/is the same kind of thing next door with the Silver Beach community.

On another note... Edgewater has always had pretty bad flooding issues....since long before "global warming" and rising oceans were on everyone's radars.I wouldn't think about "investing" in Edgewater for that reason alone. They got hit bad by Sandy which was just a cat 1....still not completely recovered. One good cat 2 or 3 hurricane coming from the right angle could level the place. The housing stock isn't at all up to today's standards re flooding and high winds.

https://bronx.news12.com/city-planni...k-for-flooding

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-25-2022 at 01:29 PM..

Old 10-25-2022, 05:36 PM

870 posts, read 415,728 times
The only things I can tell you about the Park of Edgewater are:

1- Long and tedious process to be approved.
2- Flood zone, really really prone to flooding.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:02 AM

7 posts, read 4,864 times
I think it was/is the same kind of thing next door with the Silver Beach community.

Old 10-26-2022, 08:22 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,918,066 times
On the NYC electoral maps, it is one of the bright red dots in a sea of blue. All of Throggs Neck is reddish, but Edgewater is one of the brighter concentrations.

I spent my teen years hanging out there, and "friends" from that part of the neighborhood and those most likely to have gotten unfollowed on social in the past few years. I want to say they're not terrible people, they just have terrible political ideologies that don't mesh with mine, but.....that's probably not the case.

If you're a family of color, would not recommend. That plus the flooding issues as mentioned upthread makes it not remotely worth it.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:32 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,309,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
On the NYC electoral maps, it is one of the bright red dots in a sea of blue. All of Throggs Neck is reddish, but Edgewater is one of the brighter concentrations.

I spent my teen years hanging out there, and "friends" from that part of the neighborhood and those most likely to have gotten unfollowed on social in the past few years. I want to say they're not terrible people, they just have terrible political ideologies that don't mesh with mine, but.....that's probably not the case.

If you're a family of color, would not recommend. That plus the flooding issues as mentioned upthread makes it not remotely worth it.
They noted that they are a family of color... I know a few people that live in Edgewater, but they are White. They have never noted any issues.

Old 10-27-2022, 01:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,769,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
The only things I can tell you about the Park of Edgewater are:

1- Long and tedious process to be approved.
2- Flood zone, really really prone to flooding.
Not all of Edgewater's homes fall in a flood zone. I have a family home 3 blocks ups from the seawall, they never get water in their basement. There's a portable sump pump as a just in case but it never gets used. They are also not required to carry flood insurance either. Other folks, sure including a cousin right on the seawall. The home has been completely destroyed 2-3 times in my recollection. Bu that's an outlier situation, most homes in Edgewater are not in the in the "blue" on the mapping.

OP, you can call the Co-Op office, and ask to speak with Grace. She can provide you with info; including the banks and realtors approved to work with the co-op on your behalf. The process is actually not that long, arduous, or tedious if you are an attention-to-detail person. Complete your side of things correctly and timely, and the Board will do their part timely.

In the last several years there are more POC than ever before. I have A LOT of family in EPOC, and 2 of them actually sit on the board. Thankless job that they do for free. Yes, politically EPOC is redder than the vast majority of NYC and most of TN but it is what it is for me. I just don't talk politics.

Also, the "rules" have changed- you no longer need 3 letters from current residents. Two personal references and an employer are fine.

Hi Liz! Meet you at Sandy tonight for a 40?? Liz and I actually know each other IRL from HS, hanging out in Edgewater. :P

Last edited by charmed hour; 10-27-2022 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-27-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Not all of Edgewater's homes fall in a flood zone. I have a family home 3 blocks ups from the seawall, they never get water in their basement. There's a portable sump pump as a just in case but it never gets used. They are also not required to carry flood insurance either. Other folks, sure including a cousin right on the seawall. The home has been completely destroyed 2-3 times in my recollection. Bu that's an outlier situation, most homes in Edgewater are not in the in the "blue" on the mapping.

OP, you can call the Co-Op office, and ask to speak with Grace. She can provide you with info; including the banks and realtors approved to work with the co-op on your behalf. The process is actually not that long, arduous, or tedious if you are an attention-to-detail person. Complete your side of things correctly and timely, and the Board will do their part timely.

In the last several years there are more POC than ever before. I have A LOT of family in EPOC, and 2 of them actually sit on the board. Thankless job that they do for free. Yes, politically EPOC is redder than the vast majority of NYC and most of TN but it is what it is for me. I just don't talk politics.

Also, the "rules" have changed- you no longer need 3 letters from current residents. Two personal references and an employer are fine.

Hi Liz! Meet you at Sandy tonight for a 40?? Liz and I actually know each other IRL from HS, hanging out in Edgewater. :P
Good to hear that Edgewater has become more open. I heard they got sued for discriminatory practices because of the application procedures but never heard about the outcome. Sounds like they were forced to drop it.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:50 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,769,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Good to hear that Edgewater has become more open. I heard they got sued for discriminatory practices because of the application procedures but never heard about the outcome. Sounds like they were forced to drop it.
They settled the lawsuit with the agreement of dropping the 3-shareholder reference rule and some other minor changes back in 2013. They also paid the costs and fees for the plaintiffs (a non-profit that brought suit).

It was an interesting suit as the 2 test couples never submitted an offer on any home in EPOC, never filed an application to purchase with the Board, etc. They dealt solely with one realtor, she did the steering and made the remarks to the white couple that she (the realtor) would circumvent the requirement and line up residents to provide letters to said couple. She showed them 9 homes. In turn, she told the AA couple they would not get past the Board and it was "Archie Bunker territory" and never showed them a single home. Yet, suit was brought against EPOC.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
They settled the lawsuit with the agreement of dropping the 3-shareholder reference rule and some other minor changes back in 2013. They also paid the costs and fees for the plaintiffs (a non-profit that brought suit).

It was an interesting suit as the 2 test couples never submitted an offer on any home in EPOC, never filed an application to purchase with the Board, etc. They dealt solely with one realtor, she did the steering and made the remarks to the white couple that she (the realtor) would circumvent the requirement and line up residents to provide letters to said couple. She showed them 9 homes. In turn, she told the AA couple they would not get past the Board and it was "Archie Bunker territory" and never showed them a single home. Yet, suit was brought against EPOC.
Thank. Good to know.
Meanwhile the OP hasn't responded to anything . Always wonder about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City