Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 07:20 AM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times

Advertisements

Yesterday during rush hour I walked down the 34th Street Subway entrance and suddenly a woman came out of the subway gated door. Then I see another woman walked up and just walked right through without paying. Then suddenly she was joined by multiple people walking through like nothing. I walked up next to the gate and I was about to swipe my metrocard and a guy next to me just showed me the door signaling me to just go through. I hesitated that I have never fare beat during my adult life. But then there were just a line of people going through it. Then I said eff, I have to get on the train fast.

Is this the new norm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 07:48 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
do you want a gold star?

Old 11-18-2022, 09:52 AM

249 posts, read 124,675 times
This is a classic example of how turning a blind eye to minor offenses leads to escalation of crime. I'm not judging you, OP -- it's difficult to do the right thing when so many others are benefitting from being permitted to do the wrong thing. I'm just pointing out what should be the obvious -- that our law enforcement officers, prosecutors and courts need to start cracking down on minor and quality of life offenses if they are serious about keeping our subways and our people safe.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:53 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
you're lucky u werent popped. 34th st is not the place to hop.
i watched some black guy get popped on 125th street hopping the turnstile, and laughed aloud

Old 11-18-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
This is a classic example of how turning a blind eye to minor offenses leads to escalation of crime. I'm not judging you, OP -- it's difficult to do the right thing when so many others are benefitting from being permitted to do the wrong thing. I'm just pointing out what should be the obvious -- that our law enforcement officers, prosecutors and courts need to start cracking down on minor and quality of life offenses if they are serious about keeping our subways and our people safe.
they're in the subways enforcing it now
the MTA told its bus drivers to crack down on fare evasion
the other day on the my local route, this black dude gets on the bus without saying anything to the driver, he calls him over, and they verbally sparred for a minute. the guy winds up getting off the bus

Old 11-18-2022, 11:08 AM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Yesterday during rush hour I walked down the 34th Street Subway entrance and suddenly a woman came out of the subway gated door. Then I see another woman walked up and just walked right through without paying. Then suddenly she was joined by multiple people walking through like nothing. I walked up next to the gate and I was about to swipe my metrocard and a guy next to me just showed me the door signaling me to just go through. I hesitated that I have never fare beat during my adult life. But then there were just a line of people going through it. Then I said eff, I have to get on the train fast.

Is this the new norm?
It’s not a new norm, you broke the law. Not to mention there are cops stationed on almost every station now - did you know?

Also, assuming you were in a rush, why did you think it’ll be quicker to whiz through the door instead of swiping through the gate?

Old 11-18-2022, 01:51 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:

Is this the new norm?

Because you have confessed, you are forgiven!

Old 11-18-2022, 02:23 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:

Is this the new norm?
Quote:
The moral degradation of society. Every third world **** hole became one because of this. Otherwise normal people are forced to engage in amoral behavior. That's what the politicians in this city want.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:32 AM

249 posts, read 124,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
they're in the subways enforcing it now
the MTA told its bus drivers to crack down on fare evasion
the other day on the my local route, this black dude gets on the bus without saying anything to the driver, he calls him over, and they verbally sparred for a minute. the guy winds up getting off the bus
Unfortunately, the way things are today, the bus driver puts himself or herself at great risk doing this. At least the cops at the subway turnstiles are armed and partnered with backup not far away. The bus driver is defenseless. In my opinion, they really need to flood the city with cops and resume stop and frisk and broken windows policing, but even that would be ineffective due to the no cash bail law and the lax prosecutors/judges. They have replaced broken windows policing with revolving door justice.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the way things are today, the bus driver puts himself or herself at great risk doing this. At least the cops at the subway turnstiles are armed and partnered with backup not far away. The bus driver is defenseless. In my opinion, they really need to flood the city with cops and resume stop and frisk and broken windows policing, but even that would be ineffective due to the no cash bail law and the lax prosecutors/judges. They have replaced broken windows policing with revolving door justice.
theres layers to it. folks should get a fair fares card, if they qualify, and keep it movin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: