Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following are NYC Suburbs?
The outer-boroughs (Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island) 5 11.36%
Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties 29 65.91%
Nassau and Suffolk Counties (no Westchester) 5 11.36%
Other (explain in comments) 13 29.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 10:42 AM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times

Advertisements

Maybe I've been missing something, but what do you folks consider to be NYC suburbs? Are Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island suburbs of NYC (even though they are part of NYC)?

Or are surrounding non-NYC suburban counties (Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, etc.) considered as NYC suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 10:52 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Westchester, Nassau, Western Suffolk, and NJ Suburbs are the Suburbs of NYC.

Staten Island, obviously is part of the city, but far more resembles a Suburb than most of White Plains, NY.

An example, NYPD hiring can go further to Rockland, Orange, and Putnam- but honestly, along with most of Suffolk I find those places far too disconnected from the city itself to make daily commuting a reality.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:55 AM

I forgot to include the NJ suburbs.

I wholly agree with you. I was just curious based on discussions in another thread on this site. I thought maybe my understanding had been off. I'd agree that parts of NYC (mainly within the outer boroughs) are suburban, but I never considered the outer boroughs to actually be suburbs of NYC for the simple reason that they are part of NYC.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:10 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
Don’t forget Fairfield county Connecticut.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Don’t forget Fairfield county Connecticut.
True.

Now, I've heard of cities serving as suburbs for other cities. For instance, Alexandria, VA (an independent city in its own right) is widely considered to be a suburb of D.C. It's the notion that parts of a city are suburbs of that same city that is off to me.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:47 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
We always called the boroughs the suburbs of nyc ..manhattan was urban but brooklyn was never like that .even where we are in queens it is nothing like manhattan and has more in common with Long Island life

“New York City includes several boroughs, and each has its own unique vibe. Manhattan is the most urban of the five, while Brooklyn is classified as a suburban area. Long Island City feels a bit more suburban in its amenities and layout, while Queens has a mix of both types of real estate. Places like the Bay Area and New York City have blurred the lines between urban and suburban living, offering residents access to the best of both worlds

https://www.zumper.com/blog/urban-vs...-neighborhood/

https://www.bkmag.com/2014/10/10/is-...n-of-new-york/

Old 12-11-2022, 05:45 PM

19,032 posts, read 13,944,967 times
The suburbs extend roughly 1.5 hours drive from the city with some exceptions. Like parts of south jersey can be reached in less than that but definitely do not exude a connection to the city.

If the majority of the people you encounter work in or came from NYC, then its likely a suburb. Another good read is the radio stations, though I suppose nowadays that’s not a big deal. Sports team fandom as well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-11-2022, 05:54 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
True.

Now, I've heard of cities serving as suburbs for other cities. For instance, Alexandria, VA (an independent city in its own right) is widely considered to be a suburb of D.C. It's the notion that parts of a city are suburbs of that same city that is off to me.
DC itself is barely a city in any right- so it's hard to make sense of the region.

Alexandria is a city and is fairly urban.

Whole cities can be 'Suburban' but they may themselves have their own sururbs.

No easy easy definitions- though in New York, there are few actual cities.
Everything else becomes a Village, Town, or Hamlet.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We always called the boroughs the suburbs of nyc ..manhattan was urban but brooklyn was never like that .even where we are in queens it is nothing like manhattan and has more in common with Long Island life

“New York City includes several boroughs, and each has its own unique vibe. Manhattan is the most urban of the five, while Brooklyn is classified as a suburban area. Long Island City feels a bit more suburban in its amenities and layout, while Queens has a mix of both types of real estate. Places like the Bay Area and New York City have blurred the lines between urban and suburban living, offering residents access to the best of both worlds

https://www.zumper.com/blog/urban-vs...-neighborhood/

https://www.bkmag.com/2014/10/10/is-...n-of-new-york/
The problem here is that Brooklyn is huge. I'll say that parts of Brooklyn are suburban, but other parts are not. Downtown Brooklyn doesn't feel suburban at all. The transformation of that part of Brooklyn, and the continuing transformation of other parts via the Pacific Park development, has been truly stunning over the last decade or so. And much of northwest Brooklyn is no more suburban or urban feeling than the upper west side of Manhattan, IMO. Brownstones abound and the areas (both in this part of Brooklyn and in this part of Manhattan) are predominately residential.

Now, if one is going to use residential as the benchmark of what is suburban, then even most of Manhattan is suburban, and by that logic is a suburb of the non-suburban parts of Brooklyn. I think that the stereotypical view of suburbia, however, centers on areas containing single family homes, etc. Residential skyscrapers change the feel and vibe of what otherwise would be suburban.

Still, I think an area can be suburban but not a suburb.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 12-11-2022 at 07:35 PM..

Old 12-12-2022, 01:43 AM

785 posts, read 484,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Maybe I've been missing something, but what do you folks consider to be NYC suburbs? Are Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island suburbs of NYC (even though they are part of NYC)?

Or are surrounding non-NYC suburban counties (Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, etc.) considered as NYC suburbs?
Growing up in outer North East Queens, where I had a pool, boat and played ice hockey on frozen ponds in the winter as a kid...I always grew up thinking I lived in the suburbs. But as I got into high school, I realized that the boroughs are indeed considered "the city," To be honest, these days I don't even consider parts of Nassau suburban anymore. The metro area is so over populated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City