Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2023, 09:55 AM

37 posts, read 38,143 times

Advertisements

A grim topic, but I need to find out information about burial plots. It's hard to find any source where they list the pricing across multiple cemeteries. The cemetery themselves mostly don't publicize their pricing information.

Does anyone know of a site that can help me narrow down choices? Or does anyone have a cemetery in the NYC area (including Long Island and Eastern NJ) that you can recommend?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 11:57 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Pick a cemetery you like and most likely they have a web site.

I needed info on Green-Wood Cemetary in Brooklyn as I have both sets of grandparents buried there and am able to be buried there as well since I am next of kin...

I was able to get the info I needed by sending a few E mails. Very easy.

I'm sure you''ll be able to do the same.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:52 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Was the deceased a US military veteran ?

If so, honorably discharged veterans are entitled to a free plot, and marker, in a VA cemetery. Spouses of veterans are also eligible

See https://www.cem.va.gov/find-cemetery/

Old 01-08-2023, 01:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies888 View Post
A grim topic, but I need to find out information about burial plots. It's hard to find any source where they list the pricing across multiple cemeteries. The cemetery themselves mostly don't publicize their pricing information.

Does anyone know of a site that can help me narrow down choices? Or does anyone have a cemetery in the NYC area (including Long Island and Eastern NJ) that you can recommend?

Thank you.

findagrave.com used by genealogists

Old 01-08-2023, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 1,810 times
I would talk to a funeral director in the area you are interested in. They deal with all the cemeteries and know which ones are non-profit, and which are owned or managed by large corporations.

Old 01-08-2023, 03:39 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Most of my deceased family is in George Washington in Paramus. It's nice, plaques instead of stones, and well kept. Except when they buried my mother they covered my brother's marker and now they say he isn't there, but we will straighten that out. Don't know prices. My parents bought the graves in 1953 when it was fairly new.

But it's an easy ride from the city. Not far off Route 4, which you get on right over the GWB and then about 20 minutes or so. If you know of the Garden State Plaza Mall, it's a mile or so from there. Might want to check it out.

https://georgewashingtonmemorialpark.org/

ETA: Yup, site gives directions from the GW Bridge, a mile off 4 on Paramus Road.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:15 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Most cemeteries don’t seem to publish pricing information on their websites. I wouldn’t be surprised if prices for plots could be negotiated although at a time of need you don’t have much choice. Cemeteries like Pinelawn (not the national cemetery) often solicit through the mail and they will send salesmen to your home if you respond.

For Catholics, St. Charles cemetery in Farmingdale is a popular cemetery. A new Catholic cemetery, Queen of Peace, recently opened in Old Westbury in Nassau County. Perhaps they might have better prices because they have plenty of room for graves.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:31 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
St. Michael's in Queens must have plenty of space, we're always getting all sorts of marketing stuff from them in mail.

Our family is mostly at Moravian on SI.

https://www.moraviancemetery.com/price-list/

Unless things have changed either deceased must have been a resident of SI or family that was or is has purchased space. Members of Vanderbilt family are still being interred at Moravian (Gloria Vanderbilt and her son Carter are two recent), even though neither lived on SI.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:09 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
What about cremation? Due to the high cost of the funeral and burial more families are opting for cremation of loved ones. In the USA, the cremation rate is 47%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: