Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 09:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
You sound like you've never actually been to a lot of the Bronx.
I'm white and I've lived in the Bronx a few different times for probably 25 or so years total.ive never been robbed carjacked etc.
There are a lot of good neighborhoods and a lot of terrible neighborhoods. The Bronx is huge and while I can understand how someone from outside of NY can not realize how big it is and think it's all unsafe it makes no sense from someone who has been here 50 years.

It is impressive how without even setting foot across the bridge you know who is illegal just by looking at them.Perhaps you should get a job with INS.
People don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that The Bronx is not a neighborhood. It is the same size as Philadelphia and on it's own would be the 6th or 7th largest city in the U.S. It also has a lower crime rate than Philadelphia and a lower crime rate than most major U.S cities. It seems as though the group of people who have the hardest time with this are native NY'ers from other boroughs. Probably because they are still replaying 1970's , 1980's and early 1990's television newscasts in their heads.

Last edited by bluedog2; 01-15-2023 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 04:16 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
People don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that The Bronx is not a neighborhood. It is the same size as Philadelphia and on it's own would be the 6th or 7th largest city in the U.S. It also has a lower crime rate than Philadelphia and a lower crime rate than most major U.S cities. It seems as though the group of people who have the hardest time with this are native NY'ers from other boroughs. Probably because they are still replaying 1970's , 1980's and early 1990's television newscasts in their heads.
I think part of that is because so many people have labeled the entire borough as being the "South Bronx" with the whole "Boogie Down" rhetoric. I knew nothing of The Bronx, but I had a friend who grew up in Pelham Bay. We would always meet up in Manhattan, so I was not exposed to The Bronx until my adult years. A colleague of mine from New Jersey was afraid to visit. One of our colleagues lived in Morris Park/Indian Village (older White guy) and he always joked that people were shocked that he (a Frenchman) and his wife (Italian-American) lived The Bronx. They had no idea that there were White neighborhoods that were clean, safe and middle class. lol With some coaxing, we finally got our colleague to drive over in NJ. There were no gunshots outside in the backyard. We enjoyed BBQ with birds chirping.

The problem with The Bronx is the good neighborhoods are generally not so accessible and are more tucked away. I know you live in Pelham Parkway and it is one the very few neighborhoods in The Bronx with subway access that is not a ghetto. Most of the other good, safe areas don't have a subway. Riverdale, Country Club, Woodlawn and City Island all come to mind.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,032,880 times
The issue is op said Bronx living is the result of a housing lottery. Perhaps Op should do a Google image search to see what is around.

The presence of the following indicates a high probability of violent crime:

Chinese restaurant with bulletproof windows?
Check cashing place with bulletproof windows?
Discount liquor store with bulletproof windows?
Weave store with bulletproof windows?
Kennedy fried chicken with bulletproof windows?
MetroPCS/cricket store with bulletproof windows?
Methadone clinic?
Nycha housing projects?
Candle shrines for young people on street corners killed by stray bullets?

Old 01-16-2023, 06:56 AM

3,350 posts, read 1,239,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I've actually had to explain this to someone from Philadelphia before. I understood them not realizing it,I can't understand someone who has lived here for 50 years not understanding that.

Old 01-16-2023, 10:49 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
Both of those listings are in Riverdale, and nowhere near Soundview.

Old 01-16-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
You sound like you've never actually been to a lot of the Bronx.
I'm white and I've lived in the Bronx a few different times for probably 25 or so years total.ive never been robbed carjacked etc.
There are a lot of good neighborhoods and a lot of terrible neighborhoods. The Bronx is huge and while I can understand how someone from outside of NY can not realize how big it is and think it's all unsafe it makes no sense from someone who has been here 50 years.

It is impressive how without even setting foot across the bridge you know who is illegal just by looking at them. Perhaps you should get a job with INS.
This guy takes every chance he can to slam minorities. As a few of us have noted, there are nice safe middle to upper middle class neighborhoods in The Bronx, but according to him it's all one hellhole. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Both of those listings are in Riverdale, and nowhere near Soundview.
What listings are you referring to? The zip code alone makes it clear that both are in Soundview.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:09 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
OP has to specify what part of the Bronx before one can adequately answer. Its a whole lotta babbling and not enough to go on.

Old 01-16-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
OP has to specify what part of the Bronx before one can adequately answer. Its a whole lotta babbling and not enough to go on.
They already did. Seems like you and scatman have a reading comprehension problem:

Quote:
Location 1: Evergreen Gardens Zip: 10473

Location 2: Soundview/Bronx River Zip: 10473
That's why we're talking about safety...

Old 01-16-2023, 02:44 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This guy takes every chance he can to slam minorities. As a few of us have noted, there are nice safe middle to upper middle class neighborhoods in The Bronx, but according to him it's all one hellhole. lol

What listings are you referring to? The zip code alone makes it clear that both are in Soundview.
Check the map. The zip is wrong.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Check the map. The zip is wrong.
The zip code for Soundview is 10473. That's also the zip code for Evergreen Gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City