Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 01:39 PM

45 posts, read 66,695 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

If I get a job at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center, I will be relocating from Chicago suburbs to Brooklyn, NY. I will be bringing a spouse and two school-aged kids with me. We will be looking for a 2-bedroom apartment within 15 min driving time from the hospital in a safe, family-friendly neighborhood with decent schools. I am willing to sacrifice another 10 to 15 minutes of commute time for a safer area or more affordable housing.

I've heard that people give up their cars in Brooklyn due to difficulties with finding parking spots. I own two cars. Is it going to be a nightmare with two cars in the city? Should I sell the second car?

What should I expect to pay for a 2-bdr apartment in Brooklyn?
What city neighborhoods would you recommend considering the above?
Are buses/subway safe to ride during late night hours?
Does it make sense living in adjacent suburbs if there any or close parts of NJ? Or is it too much for tolls and tie spent in traffic?

Thank you everyone for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 01:57 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Welcome to NYC hope you enjoy your stay.
Try to stay in an area with best views and parks.

I grew up in queens which was an absuliute bore. Lived in Brooklyn for a bit, queens is an immigrant wasteland.
Brooklyn has a lot more flavor. Old new and everything in between.

Last edited by Dave 92 LSC; 02-16-2023 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 02:07 PM

313 posts, read 212,489 times
It depends on how much you're looking to spend. 15 minutes in each direction of the hospital varies in prices, density for traffic and safety..

Do you prefer a private house with possible parking in driveway, small building, a elevator building? Do you want alot of space?

NJ to East Flatbush would be a trek and idk if that's worth it. Long Island or Queens would be better to SUNY downstate

Last edited by RagerNYC; 02-16-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 05:04 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
While insight into what your budget is would make advice easier to provide, in general 15-30 minutes from Downstate Medical Center offers you several good options in terms of where to live from a safety/schools perspective. Park Slope, Prospect Heights, hell even Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill (though the latter two could be pushing your time limits depending on your work hours).

Note, the above 15-30 minutes commute time are for driving. If you take public transportation to and from work and live in one of those neighborhoods, you're generally probably looking at 30 minutes each way regardless; driving to and from some of the aforementioned neighborhoods would take less time, but you'd also have to be concerned about parking.

Touching on parking in general, sure plenty of people do without cars in NYC. I, however, recommend that you keep at least one of your vehicles as it will make certain things (shopping, road tripping, etc.) easier to plan and execute. In my family, my father and brother both have cars in NYC, as does my uncle. My father and brother find parking on our block in Prospect Heights, though they both generally take public transportation to work. My uncle lives in Crown Heights and has a dedicated parking spot at his house, and he drives to work (he's an attorney for the city and works in Manhattan).

In terms of price point expectations, I'd recommend that you search on sites like apartments.com and search by neighborhood, etc., to see how much you'd be paying based on certain building features (amenities, building age, etc.).

Old 02-16-2023, 07:38 PM

9,123 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Few people in Brooklyn keep two cars for two adults. Many people use Uber or Lyft for errands around town and only use their cars for trips outside the city.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:04 PM

Thanks

But does Queens offer more affordable housing in comparison with Brooklyn?

And what would be the commute time ( by a car) from Queens to SUNY Downstate?

Old 02-16-2023, 08:07 PM

Thank you for the insight

How about Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach? Are these safe hoods? Are they more affordable in comparison to ones you mentioned?

I realize they are a bit more far than Park Slope, but how long would it take to drive from there to the SUNY Downstate?

Old 02-16-2023, 08:09 PM

Thank you!

If many people use Uber/Left, how affordable would you say is it?

Old 02-16-2023, 08:41 PM

206 posts, read 98,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Few people in Brooklyn keep two cars for two adults. Many people use Uber or Lyft for errands around town and only use their cars for trips outside the city.
Lmao that sounds like some transplant take of Brooklyn. Plenty of people in southern Brooklyn have their own cars and they most definitely DO NOT use uber or lyft to get around.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:53 PM

313 posts, read 212,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasylP View Post
Thank you for the insight

How about Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach? Are these safe hoods? Are they more affordable in comparison to ones you mentioned?

I realize they are a bit more far than Park Slope, but how long would it take to drive from there to the SUNY Downstate?
What is your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City