Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2023, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 684 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in Manhattan and will be doing a renovation for my bathroom.

I'm in the process of reviewing contractor bids.

One contractor billed the following for plumbing and electric permits:
Plumbing: $2,800
Electrical: $1,500

On the NYC DOB, I found that an electrical permit costs $650.00.
I found that the Plumbing permit is based on the cost of the project.

I have three questions:
1) Are the fees the contractor is billing in line with other contractors in New York City?
2) Is the electrical permit fee fairly accurate?
3) Is the plumbing permit fee based on the total project cost accurate?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 01:25 PM

537 posts, read 446,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPFerrante View Post
I live in Manhattan and will be doing a renovation for my bathroom.

One contractor billed the following for plumbing and electric permits:
Plumbing: $2,800
Electrical: $1,500
Strike that contractor off your list of potential craftsmen. The skilled tradesmen in NYC get paid a whole lot more than they're worth without their trying to rip you off for building permits.

Bathrooms are very, very small in square feet. And often the plumbing work done is just minimal--replacing a faucet or two. It's the same with the electrical--just a little work.

I do my own plumbing and electrical work--along with better quality tile work than professionals do. I am in the process of retiling a bathroom floor and building a shower in a different bathroom that I built 42 years ago.

Old 04-27-2023, 01:34 PM

3 posts, read 684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
Strike that contractor off your list of potential craftsmen. The skilled tradesmen in NYC get paid a whole lot more than they're worth without their trying to rip you off for building permits.

Bathrooms are very, very small in square feet. And often the plumbing work done is just minimal--replacing a faucet or two. It's the same with the electrical--just a little work.

I do my own plumbing and electrical work--along with better quality tile work than professionals do. I am in the process of retiling a bathroom floor and building a shower in a different bathroom that I built 42 years ago.
Many thanks for your reply. Great information.

Just to be clear, so you have the scope of my bathroom project, it's being gutted, the the floor and wall tiles will be replaced along with a new toilet tub and vanity with medicine cabinet above. The work is being done in a 195 unit, 19 floor co-op building in Manhattan.

In your opinion, those permits should be put into the quote? I'm a right on that?

Thanks again for this very useful information!

Old 04-28-2023, 09:44 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPFerrante View Post
Many thanks for your reply. Great information.

Just to be clear, so you have the scope of my bathroom project, it's being gutted, the the floor and wall tiles will be replaced along with a new toilet tub and vanity with medicine cabinet above. The work is being done in a 195 unit, 19 floor co-op building in Manhattan.

In your opinion, those permits should be put into the quote? I'm a right on that?

Thanks again for this very useful information!
In a co-op, there's no way you'll be able to have the work done without the permits, and those need to be filed by the licensed trades. So of course I would recommend getting multiple quotes, but keep in mind the trades person has to complete the permit and go file it (often in person), so the markup is for their time. Do they mark it up far more than is warranted? Of course, but this is unfortunately what you'll need to swallow to get the work done.

Old 04-28-2023, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
In a co-op, there's no way you'll be able to have the work done without the permits, and those need to be filed by the licensed trades. So of course I would recommend getting multiple quotes, but keep in mind the trades person has to complete the permit and go file it (often in person), so the markup is for their time. Do they mark it up far more than is warranted? Of course, but this is unfortunately what you'll need to swallow to get the work done.
Yo make a good point. Using the Electrical Permit as an example. I the fee is $650 and the contractor bills $1,500 that would make sense, though I would say $1,000 would be fairer. Also like you say, correctly, it's a fee I'll have to swallow. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City