Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 09:07 AM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
By the same token, with the actions of Neely seen, if not subdued I doubt all passengers avoid violence. I have seen crazies on subways try to get violent before many times. They were stopped when I saw it, and Thank God, w/o this end result.

This nation needs mental institutions brought back, for the safety of all.
A swift kick to the balls would’ve done the trick- not a chokehold. Now, if Neely came at him or someone with a knife or a gun, was raping someone, committing arson, etc then yeah, lethal force may be appropriate if told to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 10:33 AM

34,024 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
A swift kick to the balls would’ve done the trick- not a chokehold. Now, if Neely came at him or someone with a knife or a gun, was raping someone, committing arson, etc then yeah, lethal force may be appropriate if told to stop.
I doubt it (swift kick). Now it is unfortunate that once they had him down they failed to strategically sit on him (all 3) after btw utilizing a chokehold for a shorter span of time to de-energize him. I, however, will not criticize the marine, as this was a dangerous situation for all passengers other than Neely on the train, and an answer had just seconds to be implemented. His 42-count rap sheet is ominous; offense 42 left a 67 year old woman disfigured, beaten to a pulp. It happened in 2021, so the fair question is why he was uncaged after that offense? He acted like a repeat, violent offender. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:38 AM

34,024 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This is just Bernie Goetz all over again except instead of a gun it was a wrestling move.
and just like Goetz, Perry will properly never be convicted. NYC is seeing the same random, mentally deranged violent crime like the 80s, the law-abiding who would make up any jury know that.

Goetz only conviction was an unlawful possession charge. Now, having said that, in the post Goetz liberal hysteria, NYC overcharged him, and may overcharge Perry. IMO NYC should only have charged Goetz for the fifth shot. Not the first 4. If they have learned anything, Perry will remain not charged.

Old 05-06-2023, 11:42 AM

1,063 posts, read 543,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and just like Goetz, Perry will properly never be convicted. NYC is seeing the same random, mentally deranged violent crime like the 80s, the law-abiding who would make up any jury know that.

Goetz only conviction was an unlawful possession charge. Now, having said that, in the post Goetz liberal hysteria, NYC overcharged him, and may overcharge Perry. IMO NYC should only have charged Goetz for the fifth shot. Not the first 4. If they have learned anything, Perry will remain not charged.
I agree, if they think the people of this city are just going to sit back and be told that the deranged are running the asylum (and the law abiding working citizens here should just put up with it and possibly become victims) and there not be some repercussions, they should think again.

If this guy gets charged then that's the basic message from the city.

If he's charged then I hope somebody starts a class action lawsuit against the city

Old 05-06-2023, 02:24 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
I think we should bring back mental institutions. Just like criminals get locked up and go to prison, so too should people who have shown substantial mental health problems be locked up for their own good but in a more humane way. The person who died should've been in one such psychiatric center.

yes, I agree with you on this. This was what they did way back in the day. People that were mentally not stable, or a menace to society and / or dangerous they put in those institutions. I believe what was on Roosevelt Island, wasn't it called Blackwell Island, something like that back in the day?

But, I think they had the right idea. We now know this man was mentally not well, and the people on the subway car did not know if he was carrying a weapon or anything so of course they were frightened. Think about being stuck in a subway car with a mentally deranged person screaming and throwing things, It would be a little frightening to say the least. I wouldn't appreciate something being thrown at me, and I can't say honestly how I would have of reacted.

This whole thing of him being an "entertainer " meh! was BS. He was a homeless pan handler and a menace to society, never mind the city failing him, his own family failed him, and now they have the nerve to want to sue the city

None the less the marine, (and while he thought he was doing good), after the George Floyd incident, if anything that was learned from that fiasco, was to not ever use a choke hold on anyone, ever.

This is my "gray area" with the marine. To contain the "entertainer" either sit on him, break his arm, but lord up above, DO NOT PUT A CHOKE HOLD ON HIM. Have we not learned anything from the George Floyd incident?

So, while the "entertainer" was most like a "loser" or, shall we say, "mentally challenged" anyway, he in truth, (and it pains me to say this), but he really was murdered. I don't think the marine intended this to happen, but the "entertainer" is dead.

So now, sadly we have to listen to all this crap that going to take place because of this.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 05-06-2023 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-06-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
I was on the fence but have moved to the opinion the world is a better place without the bum.

42 arrests. Including the KIDNAPPING OF A 7 YEAR OLD GIRL. PUNCHING A 67 YEAR OLD WOMAN IN THE HEAD and breaking her orbital eye bone. Both victims were complete strangers.

Meanwhile, the bum's uncle openly admitted his nephew was smoking K2 synthetic weed on the street . He sounded disgusted at how his nephew had become a junkie who refused family help.

Of course, the absent family in life is trying to cash in on his death.

and after I read this, and then I listen to our idiot governor Cathy Hocul give sympathy to the "entertainer", give me a break you idiot.
42 arrests, WTF???

Hocul, what do you say to that? idiot, 42 arrests.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 05-06-2023 at 03:07 PM..

Old 05-06-2023, 03:06 PM

[quote=stormgal;65244365]I’m not siding with his actions, I’m siding with justice. If you had a nervous breakdown because God forbid you lost a child, a mother, got fired from your job etc, it wouldn’t be right if someone took your life because you were having a moment of insanity, which by the way, can happen to anyone when they have reached their emotional and mental limits.

while I agree with you and see your logic in this,
sadly, the passengers on the subway car don't know if he is just having a "bad day", and therefore get frightened and truthfully, don't really know what he is gong to do.

the whole situation is just terrible for everyone.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:30 PM

6,684 posts, read 6,027,847 times
[quote=nightcrawler;65246735]
Quote:
I’m not siding with his actions, I’m siding with justice. If you had a nervous breakdown because God forbid you lost a child, a mother, got fired from your job etc, it wouldn’t be right if someone took your life because you were having a moment of insanity, which by the way, can happen to anyone when they have reached their emotional and mental limits.

while I agree with you and see your logic in this,
sadly, the passengers on the subway car don't know if he is just having a "bad day", and therefore get frightened and truthfully, don't really know what he is gong to do.

the whole situation is just terrible for everyone.
I saw a video not too long ago about a man getting crazy on the train and grabbing a woman by the hair (here, I found the article):
https://nypost.com/2022/05/29/person...s-obscenities/

It was bad then that no one intervened but would’ve been just as bad had he been killed.
I’ve asked many times how one should proceed in such circumstances whether you’re in a position the woman was in or a bystander. I asked my brother who was a cop for many years and he said, “move out of the city”

Old 05-06-2023, 05:01 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
It wasn’t even a year ago that (another) crazy Black man threw smoke bombs and shot 10 people on their morning commute at Sunset Park. No one was taking a knee for the hard working New Yorkers that got their heads blown off while going to work.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/frank...ew-york-subway

I'm actually glad that this time around, another Black man stepped in to help the White marine subdue the crazed bum. They (and a 3rd person) both held him down.

This is important b/c the optics of a white guy choking out a black man are already being used by the media and the usual politicians. The White marine didn't act alone: if you're going to charge him w/murder then charge the other 2 men as well.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:36 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,747,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
It wasn’t even a year ago that (another) crazy Black man threw smoke bombs and shot 10 people on their morning commute at Sunset Park. No one was taking a knee for the hard working New Yorkers that got their heads blown off while going to work.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/frank...ew-york-subway

I'm actually glad that this time around, another Black man stepped in to help the White marine subdue the crazed bum. They (and a 3rd person) both held him down.

This is important b/c the optics of a white guy choking out a black man are already being used by the media and the usual politicians. The White marine didn't act alone: if you're going to charge him w/murder then charge the other 2 men as well.

If I was blind or stupid the media would have me believing all white men held him down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City