Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 06:53 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times

Advertisements

Further, the fact that you thought China’s unarmed cops makes them unique makes it hard to take you serious.

There’s a country literally famous for it’s unarmed cops - who even have a world-renown nickname. You’re either lying or incredibly ignorant of something you’re pretending hard to be.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2023, 07:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 962,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You’ve wildly mischaracterized my singular argument: that your absurd claim is false. But that’s to be expected. Going off topic typically works to hide such falsehoods. It doesn’t with me.

I refuse to address any of your irrelevant additions because obfuscation doesn’t work on me.

I did not claim China is a dangerous country. Period. I said its absurd to claim there’s not one single “unsafe” neighborhood in all of one of the largest and the most populous countries in the world.

Rather than go off on irrelevant screeds, you can simply admit that was hyperbole and you know you made a stupid statement.
It's funny that someone that's never been there, doesn't understand the culture is trying to argue with me about something that I'm intimately familiar with. I'm not Chinese but my wife is and thus I've been there multiple times.
Again, I know it's hard to believe since places like this don't exist in the US, but there are no such things as unsafe neighborhoods in China. There are no no-go zones, no areas where a child or woman would be afraid to walk alone in at 2am.

This isn't limited to China but other Confucian societies such as Japan and SK.

Ironically, the most dangerous neighborhoods are places with high concentrations of Americans. Ask any Japanese/SK that lives near a US army base.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:37 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
You’re still doing it. I don’t anticipate a change in your conversational habits so I’m finished.

As I said earlier, for the others, it took seconds to find information that clearly confirms China does in fact have unsafe areas.

Carry on.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-20-2023, 08:07 PM

5,130 posts, read 4,974,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Lol, says the guy who's trying to argue with me about safety in China and has never even been there.
I've travelled plenty buddy, running out of room on my passport and probably would have if it weren't for covid and my wife and having our first child.

Dude has grown up and spent most of his life in the US and has zero concept about how safe other countries can be. It's incomprehensible to someone that's been taught to be on guard since birth. Don't talk to strangers, don't follow them to white vans, lockdown drills at school because of active shooters, don't stay out past 10pm, avoid certain neighborhoods.

Worse yet, he's a former cop and sees only the worst of society (which I admit in the US is pretty bad because of our F'd up culture), and thinks everyone behaves the same way everywhere. What he's doing is called projection.

Understand this. You can leave belongings like a bicycle unlocked, then go away for hours and there is a pretty high chance it will be there when you return. If this were NYC, it'd be gone in 15 minutes even if chained up with a Kryptonite.
This is a cultural issue. People aren't taught to respect others (and their property) here. It's a toxic us vs them, me vs you mentality here.
Over there, it's a collective, respectful society. The US are savages in comparison.
Based on my two decades of living/visiting at various places in the US, NYC and other big/small American cities with large populations of “minorities” overall have world-famous safety issues by and large. But there are numerous American towns with predominant white populations are as peaceful/safe as places in many top European nations. I have lived/visited places forgetting or not feeling a need to lock up anything and woke up well next day. People from safe nations tend to take safety for granted and could overreact to situations in many American cities.
If you noticed the pattern of how east Asians settle in NYC, they often started in shady neighborhoods when first arriving with little money; after saving up they will buy into established white neighborhoods and chase whites out to the suburb, telling you that they know where and with whom they are comfortable to live next to. I rarely feel unsafe strolling around white majority neighborhoods in NYC. Maybe this could be picked as a racist statement, but I just speak based on my experience and perception. I do watch out drunk/drugged up whites at times…:
Elsewhere in the world, Sweden used to be a safety heaven for a long while. Decades after they opened their door to African/Middle Eastern refugees since the 80s, they are dealing with a growing safety mess. They thought their generosity and civility could soften those tough ones, but they are waking up to a grim reality day after day.
A southern Chinese large city Guangzhou received a large number of Africans in the past two decades. They are generally from well off African families coming for either education or business purposes. Local residents are dealing with growing safety concerns due to crime break outs associated with them. Some behaviors that are considered crime by the Chinese might be casual/acceptable back in their home communities therefore they are not as sensitive to how unsafe other people feel around them.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Who does the other 10%?
I began to take notes of all the crime I could collect in Flushing. Hope to prepare an annual report for sharing with the rest going forward. About a month ago, a Chinese man fatally hammered a woman/her children in an apartment they shared due to repeated verbal harassments in the past which set him off at that last moment.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
It's funny that someone that's never been there, doesn't understand the culture is trying to argue with me about something that I'm intimately familiar with. I'm not Chinese but my wife is and thus I've been there multiple times.
Again, I know it's hard to believe since places like this don't exist in the US, but there are no such things as unsafe neighborhoods in China. There are no no-go zones, no areas where a child or woman would be afraid to walk alone in at 2am.

This isn't limited to China but other Confucian societies such as Japan and SK.

Ironically, the most dangerous neighborhoods are places with high concentrations of Americans. Ask any Japanese/SK that lives near a US army base.
There used to be organized crimes stealing children in broad daylight in China years ago, which kept parents wary when going out. The government worked effectively to crack it down, but it could still occur sporadically. Better hold on tight to your young ones when visiting China next time.
Uighurs used to carry out terror attacks using knives (due to the tight control of firearms in China) protesting Chinese control of their communities in Xingjian. But the CCP was good and thorough in ridding off that problem and keeping them under control. The recent economic boom has brought prosperity to a lot of rebellious ethnic groups who become content with the lifestyle they enjoy, which helps the younger generation accept and assimilate seamlessly into the melting culture pot across all corners of China.
Along this topic, I often thought if the CCP was able to keep their pace of economic development and influence as in the past decade, there would be no need for them trying to take aback TW militarily. It is possible for TW to voluntarily request to be part of China to take advantage of economic and cultural opportunities. But what the current CCP leader has done is derailing that path and risking the future of its people while creating geopolitical confrontations and instability.

Old 10-20-2023, 08:50 PM

2,330 posts, read 962,697 times
Quote:
To the bolded, did you do this while wearing expensive clothes and jewelry? An expensive camera around your neck maybe?
Here's an Italian guy visiting China for the first time. He's used to pick pocketing being based in Milan, so he's keeping his valuables guarded, but his daughter that's been living in China for years tells him not to worry about it.
He's rocking what looks to be a Tudor Pelagos and I've seen her wear a Rolex GMT on jubilee before. That's $15k in watches, or higher if we're going street prices for the GMT.

https://youtu.be/wGmXT8sXbkE?t=77

Old 10-20-2023, 09:25 PM

206 posts, read 116,774 times
Quote:
What I specifically wanted to know is if there is an American neighborhood in China specifically named "Americatown." Or if any of the examples you provided have areas called "Americatown." It's actually pretty significant. I would think so, seeing as we have an actual neighborhood recognized by the government as "Chinatown," that's the neighborhood's legal name.
What about the many ginormous army bases America has around the world? They are virtually self sufficient towns.

Surely this counts as a "Americatown"?

Old 10-21-2023, 07:59 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I began to take notes of all the crime I could collect in Flushing. Hope to prepare an annual report for sharing with the rest going forward. About a month ago, a Chinese man fatally hammered a woman/her children in an apartment they shared due to repeated verbal harassments in the past which set him off at that last moment.
That didn't happen in Flushing. That happened in Sunset Park Brooklyn back in August.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-21-2023, 08:02 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
What about the many ginormous army bases America has around the world? They are virtually self sufficient towns.

Surely this counts as a "Americatown"?
Lol, see this screenshot below:

Is there any place in China where I can find an "Americatown" similarly on Google Maps?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City