Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 09:41 AM

2,627 posts, read 1,227,220 times

Advertisements

I've heard a few people who live in that neighborhood refer to it as that recently.

Thought it was interesting considering that I usually hear people refer to train lines by their letter/number rather than the color of the line on the subway map.

Does anyone from that area, or who lives there, know how this started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 09:55 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I've heard a few people who live in that neighborhood refer to it as that recently.

Thought it was interesting considering that I usually hear people refer to train lines by their letter/number rather than the color of the line on the subway map.

Does anyone from that area, or who lives there, know how this started?
Anybody who refers to any subway line in this city by color is not originally from NYC. I'm not even being funny. That's your answer. They simply don't know any better.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-21-2023, 10:11 AM

35 posts, read 18,230 times
Default I refer to the subway lines by their color

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Anybody who refers to any subway line in this city by color is not originally from NYC. I'm not even being funny. That's your answer. They simply don't know any better.
I'm originally from South America but have been in NYC 35 years. I have always referred to the subways by their color, it seemed to me that's why they were differently colored in maps. I also know their numbers very well so can use them if whoever I'm talking to prefers that. I have heard natives refer to them by their color too. Nobody ever seemed puzzled by my subway terminology, neither native New Yorkers nor people from wherever.

It's the first time I even think about it. Hmm...

Old 10-21-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagomorfo View Post
I'm originally from South America but have been in NYC 35 years. I have always referred to the subways by their color, it seemed to me that's why they were differently colored in maps. I also know their numbers very well so can use them if whoever I'm talking to prefers that. I have heard natives refer to them by their color too. Nobody ever seemed puzzled by my subway terminology, neither native New Yorkers nor people from wherever.

It's the first time I even think about it. Hmm...
Case in point, you are originally from South America

Nobody born in the 5 boroughs refers to any subway line by color

Old 10-21-2023, 10:18 AM

Transplants hardly ever go to terminal stations, or stations close to terminal stations in the outer boroughs (outer boroughs for the most part)

This is why they're able to get away with referring to the subway lines by color

If I tell a transplant to take the "green line" to Pelham Parkway and meet me there, there is a 50% chance they will not meet me at the right train station

Same as if I tell a transplant to meet me at the "red line" on 125th Street

This is silly but unfortunately ladies and gentlemen we are here

Old 10-21-2023, 10:22 AM

3,351 posts, read 1,240,090 times
I've never heard anyone refer to a NYC subway line by color.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:31 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Case in point, you are originally from South America

Nobody born in the 5 boroughs refers to any subway line by color

yeah, that's a first for me as well.

the colored lines are made because of the same route they are in Manhattan.
hence 2, 3 are together 4, 5, 6 are together B, D, F...and so on..but, of course WE already knew that.

Now, I guess I live in the "orange line" district which is D train ( wasn't "D train" a singer in the 80's?)

My train had changed sometime in the 90's from B to D..and for a short time we had the M here as well, which had worked out wonderful for me as it was the first stop, and I always got a seat. I forget when that service ended.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

hence 2, 3 are together 4, 5, 6 are together B, D, F...and so on..but, of course WE already knew that.

Now, I guess I live in the "orange line" district which is D train ( wasn't "D train" a singer in the 80's?)

My train had changed sometime in the 90's from B to D..and for a short time we had the M here as well, which had worked out wonderful for me as it was the first stop, and I always got a seat. I forget when that service ended.
I remember when the D train stopped at Church Avenue, you could take the D to Dekalb Avenue and exit right into the mall from the train station

Old 10-21-2023, 11:06 AM

1,061 posts, read 549,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I never heard anyone refer to a line by color.

Did you ever take the wrong train at the time they switched the D & B? I did it once, getting on the B when i now needed the D!

Old 10-21-2023, 07:49 PM

22,475 posts, read 12,014,567 times
I've read this before. It's a great explanation:

https://www.nycsubwayguide.com/subway/subway_map.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City