Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 05:44 PM

5,682 posts, read 2,612,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Our quality of life here in NYC is not good. We have some things that are great, but many are not.

We need to NOT be a sanctuary city. I don't know how NYC became sanctuary city, I don't remember voting for that, because I would have of voted no. Can it ever change to a non sanctuary city?

We can't even take care of our own people let alone NOW e have to have freaking migrants come here...

The city is dirty, cleanliness was never high on the list.They plant trees, and make new roads, sidewalks, on off ramps for highways, but once the construction is done, it is never maintained.

The city is noisy, and now we have more air traffic than ever so not only do we have street noise, we also have sky noise.

But we have the greatest places to eat and to shop.

We have high crime, because our elected officials are too soft on punishment, or, punish the wrong people for the wrong things.

But, I think our QOL is worse than it was years ago, for sure.

***sigh****
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 09:34 PM

788 posts, read 486,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I like NYC and used to make an occasional trip in, but have not been there since before Covid, and am wondering if and when I might return.

Prices of everything seem to be through the roof, (I don't know how middle class people make it especially in Manhattan) and the illegal alien and criminal elements seem to be much worse than before.

Thoughts?
It's the worst I've seen it since the early 1990s when a lot of NYC was the wild, wild West. However back then if you stayed out of bad areas you would be fine. Nowadays the criminal element is everywhere via car, scooter, whatever. The NYPD is officially a reactionary group.

But all in all, I'd still come check out Manhattan for a few days if I were from another part of the country. Still worth visiting.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:05 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Worse.

Visit the outskirts of Queens Staten or Long Island.

Less populated. Just as much access. Less congestion. Cheaper visit overall.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:45 AM

12 posts, read 8,359 times
Manhattan still has more to offer than almost everywhere in the US. If you're just coming to visit you'll be fine. Just avoid the regular areas of W4th, 14th, 34th and 42nd. Since there's no airbnbs anymore, the hotel prices are much higher to visit. But what can we do

Old 11-02-2023, 07:38 AM

414 posts, read 229,572 times
Worse unless you're really well off. I just came back from a swing through Dallas and Chicago. Dallas was cheaper on all items. Chicago is cheaper on most items, but still cheaper in general. Very visible homelessness was readily apparent in Dallas and immigrants were readily apparent on the streets in Chicago.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Well, what place is better now than in 2019? What place isn't more expensive now?

Adjusted for national QOL trends I'd say the only two that stand out different for me are all the migrants being shipped to us & the rat population. Otherwise pretty status quo & I'd rather live here than somewhere else where ample parking is the main attraction.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:21 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Well, what place is better now than in 2019? What place isn't more expensive now?

Adjusted for national QOL trends I'd say the only two that stand out different for me are all the migrants being shipped to us & the rat population. Otherwise pretty status quo & I'd rather live here than somewhere else where ample parking is the main attraction.

The half million and counting that have left NYC for good are peppered across
the country increasing the size of these once ignored small towns.

Mayberry on steroids!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-visit...hat-never-was/

Old 11-02-2023, 12:31 PM

5,682 posts, read 2,612,281 times
While homeless people have always slept on the train and in stations. Late hours even seen them sleeping with blankets. Today was the first time I've seen someone sleeping on the train with bedding in the middle of the day. Laying on the seat on the 2 train with sheet/blanket. Packed train and dudes just sleeping away.
What's even sadder to me is everyone just accepts it.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:10 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times
It seems to have gotten better in the subways but will probably decline again once the true cold hits. The subway offers warmth and comfort.

Old 11-02-2023, 03:53 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I like NYC and used to make an occasional trip in, but have not been there since before Covid, and am wondering if and when I might return.

Prices of everything seem to be through the roof, (I don't know how middle class people make it especially in Manhattan) and the illegal alien and criminal elements seem to be much worse than before.

Thoughts?
I have always loved the Big Apple, and used to go there every year for my birthday (which falls in Dec so holidays in NYC!). Haven't been there in about 5 years or so - and now, even though I miss it, I have zero desire to be there amongst all the "elements" there now. It's just doesn't seem to be the same enjoyable experience that I used to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: