Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 08:34 AM

518 posts, read 626,097 times

Advertisements

I've noticed some very reasonably priced apartments for sale in the Richmond Hills. Queens area and am wondering why they're so relatively cheap. I know it's adjacent to Kew Gardens, and Woodhaven and am wondering what kind of neighborhood it is. Is it a safe area or is it turning "ghetto"? In general, what are the drawbacks of living in Richmond Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 09:11 AM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
New gardens is a lot better from every angle. Better homes, streets and public for that matter. Higher income.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:54 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
I've noticed some very reasonably priced apartments for sale in the Richmond Hills. Queens area and am wondering why they're so relatively cheap. I know it's adjacent to Kew Gardens, and Woodhaven and am wondering what kind of neighborhood it is. Is it a safe area or is it turning "ghetto"? In general, what are the drawbacks of living in Richmond Hills.
Because of crime and overall neighborhood location. It doesn't matter anyways, transplants tend to take the beatings moving into areas known to be bad and eventually they will get better.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:58 AM

34,014 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
The housing stock ranges from large single family houses to mixed-use tenements along Jamaica Avenue. The most expensive apartments would be in the northern part of the neighborhood, closer to Myrtle Avenue and Forest Park where the scenery is more bucolic and peaceful. The less desirable housing would be adjacent to any elevated train tracks in the neighborhood. If I had to make an educated guess, you most likely are seeing the cheaper rents in the southern part of the neighborhood.

I take the Q37 bus through Richmond Hill sometimes, so my comments are based on traveling in the area. As I don't live in the area, I can't provide a personal assessment on crime, but from my limited view, it seems pretty safe to me. I can also say that the closer south you get to the train, the housing density increases, so the single family houses are on smaller lots, so that means the houses are closer together, and there are also small apartment buildings. To me north of Jamaica Avenue feels a little less congested than south of Jamaica Avenue.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2024, 10:17 AM

1,414 posts, read 722,778 times
Quote:
Compared to the rest of Queens, Richmond Hill is kinda a mediocre area. I would take Kew Gardens and possibly
even Woodhaven over it. It's been that way for awhile now too, like much of Southern Queens. Barely anything about RH makes it stand out in general. I guess the public transportation system in that area isn't as bad as other parts of Queens, but again, Kew Gardens beats it in that regard.

The area between Atlantic Avenue and Forest Park is a mix of Hispanics, Guyanese, and a smaller white population. South of Atlantic is pretty much all Indian/Guyanese.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:22 AM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Proximity to Jamaica? Despite what some might try to tell you, Jamaica, Queens is still Jamaica, Queens.

In queens, the further you are from Jews and Asians, the cheaper the real estate.
Remember, in NYC real estate there are no deals unless you’re a long term investor (not primary residence). If things seem *cheap*, they’re *cheap* for a reason.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:23 PM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
The area is home to different immigrant communities, one is a sizable Guyanese population. There are many ethnic inexpensive restaurants that you'll never hear about, some are quite good like Singh's Roti Shop on Liberty ave. Most residents are working/middle class. People are generally friendly, there is a bit of alcoholism going on in the Guyanese population in my experience, but I wouldn't interpolate that across the entire area.
OP, more info would be helpful - what are you looking for in a neighborhood? Do you have a family or moving in alone? Why are you looking for the negatives and not the positives?

Old 01-26-2024, 12:56 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The housing stock ranges from large single family houses to mixed-use tenements along Jamaica Avenue. The most expensive apartments would be in the northern part of the neighborhood, closer to Myrtle Avenue and Forest Park where the scenery is more bucolic and peaceful. The less desirable housing would be adjacent to any elevated train tracks in the neighborhood. If I had to make an educated guess, you most likely are seeing the cheaper rents in the southern part of the neighborhood.

I take the Q37 bus through Richmond Hill sometimes, so my comments are based on traveling in the area. As I don't live in the area, I can't provide a personal assessment on crime, but from my limited view, it seems pretty safe to me. I can also say that the closer south you get to the train, the housing density increases, so the single family houses are on smaller lots, so that means the houses are closer together, and there are also small apartment buildings. To me north of Jamaica Avenue feels a little less congested than south of Jamaica Avenue.
I agree with this post. I used to live in Briarwood which is nearby and go back to visit periodically.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:37 PM

34,014 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Compared to the rest of Queens, Richmond Hill is kinda a mediocre area. I would take Kew Gardens and possibly
even Woodhaven over it. It's been that way for awhile now too, like much of Southern Queens. Barely anything about RH makes it stand out in general. I guess the public transportation system in that area isn't as bad as other parts of Queens, but again, Kew Gardens beats it in that regard.

The area between Atlantic Avenue and Forest Park is a mix of Hispanics, Guyanese, and a smaller white population. South of Atlantic is pretty much all Indian/Guyanese.
I find the side streets in Woodhaven incredibly narrow comparred to side streets in Richmond Hill, so for me thats a hard pass.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2024, 01:39 PM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I find the side streets in Woodhaven incredibly narrow comparred to side streets in Richmond Hill, so for me thats a hard pass.
You 59 Lincoln has a hard time navigating the streets ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City