Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 08:39 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Dream of every normal person. Get away into the forest. Get some fresh air and die in peace.
I second this. That was my plan. I LOVED living in the woods. Could hear wolves howling at night on winter as I stood at the edge of a frozen lake looking up at the stars. I had to leave that place where I thought I'd be spending the rest of my life, but I hope to find another like it.

Old 02-14-2024, 08:50 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Aha! One of our friendly mods lives there. You should ask him about it. I plan to check out some parts of WV from my second home base in Pittsburgh. It's a short drive from there.
I truly love the Adirondacks and West Virginia. They are very similar (looks). I try to visit both at least once a year. I’ll be in Virginia but close to W.Va in a few months.

I lean towards West Virginia for an eventual relocation because of the milder winters compared to the ADKs.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 12:14 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Interest rates on CD's have cut back from 5% just a few short months back to 1.5% on annuals.
Yes. A recession appears to be in the works.
It's already happened but the MSM keeps telling people everything is great because of election year. Nothing happened when Obama got elected until after he was sworn in then everything was down the sewers.

Never trust MSM and the government telling you anything these days. They have destroyed public trust with fake news about the economy and covid. A lot of innocent low informational people have lost money, jobs, and even their lives to the government and MSM lies about covid while the elites profited along with minions of people who gamed the covid relief system.

It's so sad that people are being manipulated like farm chicken.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:28 PM

93,196 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
Looking to buy a single family home, nothing big 3 bed 2 bathroom 1500sq ft at most. Prefer ranch style home. Budget ...aiming for 300-400k. Don't want to pay insane property taxes, so I think can rule out Westchester and most of long island, New Jersey.

Near train is would be nice. Up to 2 hr by train to Penn station.

If by car 100-200mile round trip is fine since I'll only make the drive once a week to nyc and I'll buy a Tesla so not worried about gas prices.

Which towns or cities would be best to look at? CT?
Besides parts of Orange and Dutchess Counties, parts of southern Sullivan County is worth looking into. You also have train access nearby in Middletown and Port Jervis.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:12 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I truly love the Adirondacks and West Virginia. They are very similar (looks). I try to visit both at least once a year. I’ll be in Virginia but close to W.Va in a few months.

I lean towards West Virginia for an eventual relocation because of the milder winters compared to the ADKs.

Keep an eye on the crime rate in Charelston. Questionable.

Cheat Lake if you enjoy fishing
or
Morgantown 2 hr ride from Upshur County " White Tail Heaven "

Although WV is not the best retiree friendly state it is the most affordable.
Both areas are friendly to retiree and nice size population.
My opinion: A retiree would do fine on a combo S.S. and pension.

but we are now 7 hours out of NYC.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 02-15-2024 at 04:56 AM..

Old 02-15-2024, 04:59 AM

7 hours outside of NYC is possibly still too close for me.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-15-2024, 05:50 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
7 hours outside of NYC is possibly still too close for me.
hahahaha..........agree.

Old 02-16-2024, 11:55 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
IMO, WV is NOT somewhere I would retire to. It's a poor state, and has terrible issues with drugs; heroin, prescription opioids, meth, and now fentanyl as well- they lead the nation in OD deaths and have all the high crime issues per capita associated with addictions and dealing. Access to quality healthcare is difficult.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:26 PM

Oh, so like NYC.

Old 02-16-2024, 12:59 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
IMO, WV is NOT somewhere I would retire to. It's a poor state, and has terrible issues with drugs; heroin, prescription opioids, meth, and now fentanyl as well- they lead the nation in OD deaths and have all the high crime issues per capita associated with addictions and dealing. Access to quality healthcare is difficult.
In the US, crime is generally concentrated in poorer areas. If you don’t reside in those areas, you don’t have. Much to worry about.

It’s far harder to get away from that in NYC. Someone can live in a $10MM condo on the UES and run into the drug addicted homeless at the front of their building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City