Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:10 AM

75 posts, read 92,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelham_or_Bust 2008 View Post
How are the Schools in this Neighborhood. I hear there are a few schools like: Columbus High, Ps 80, and a prepratory school?? is there a supermarket around there ( possibly walking distance )..
Pelham Pkwy is a pretty decent neighborhood. I live there part time, because my boyfriend lives there (on Bolton). There is never any parking, but there is a municipal parking lot on White Plains Rd that is $165 for 3 months. I went to high school in the area St. Catherine Academy (all girls) b/w Pelham pkwy and Williamsbridge. My boyfreind went to Columbus, not the best school in my opinion. 2 and 5 train Bx39 bus Bx12 bus Bx22 bus very close. Lots of retail stores on white plains rd (can get very crowded). A lot of nice pre war buildings, my boyfriends apt has a sunken living room and separate formal dining room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 06:00 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
Default Pelham Parkway... Going up or down?

I am planning to move from Brooklyn to the Bronx and have been scoping out neighborhoods and looking at apartments for almost a year.My job is in the Bronx and I am tired of the long subway rides to and from. After what I thought was a careful search, I recently zeroed in on the Pelham Parkway area.The White plains Road bus goes right to my job (Soundview) and the area around the intersection of White Plains and Pelham parkway seemed very convenient , very diverse ,relatively inexpensive and non threatening. Now I have read on all these blogs many negative comments about this neighborhood.....on its way down.....very sketchy at night...dangerous area,etc. I didn't pick up these vibes when I have been there.
Do others think it is that bad.... and getting worse? Would like to hear from folks who actually live between Williamsbridge (E) and Bronx Park(w) and between Lydig(S) and Waring(N) or others who actually spend time there . Thanks for any help!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:18 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I am planning to move from Brooklyn to the Bronx and have been scoping out neighborhoods and looking at apartments for almost a year.My job is in the Bronx and I am tired of the long subway rides to and from. After what I thought was a careful search, I recently zeroed in on the Pelham Parkway area.The White plains Road bus goes right to my job (Soundview) and the area around the intersection of White Plains and Pelham parkway seemed very convenient , very diverse ,relatively inexpensive and non threatening. Now I have read on all these blogs many negative comments about this neighborhood.....on its way down.....very sketchy at night...dangerous area,etc. I didn't pick up these vibes when I have been there.
Do others think it is that bad.... and getting worse? Would like to hear from folks who actually live between Williamsbridge (E) and Bronx Park(w) and between Lydig(S) and Waring(N) or others who actually spend time there . Thanks for any help!
One of the issues occurs after school, when many students from nearby Columbus HS and Whalen JHS hang out in the streets of the neighborhood (although they don't live there), that's if you live between Muliner and Bronx Park East.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 PM

187 posts, read 674,765 times
Quote:
I live in that area. It's not Park Slope, but it certainly isn't terrible. I have seen kids hanging out on the street after school, but they've never given me any grief. The only complaints I have are that there's more graffiti than there should be on the commerical buildings on White Plains Rd., and it doesn't look like anyone's done anything (to my knowledge, at least) with that vacant lot where the fire happened back in February. I'm hoping, since a lot of Bronx neighborhoods have been going through a period of growth, some of it will eventually come here, too, and that'll start to change.

A lot of people tell me that the area was much nicer twenty years ago. However, while I can't say for sure, some of the people I've seen moving into the area look to me like former Manhattanites looking for affordable rent, so I wouldn't count the neighborhood out yet. The place does have a lot of good things going for it, after all-- good access to mass transit, lots of green space, near several Bronx attractions, affordable, quiet at night, etc. I doubt it'll become hipster central any time soon, but that's just fine with me.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler13 View Post
I live in that area. It's not Park Slope, but it certainly isn't terrible. I have seen kids hanging out on the street after school, but they've never given me any grief. The only complaints I have are that there's more graffiti than there should be on the commerical buildings on White Plains Rd., and it doesn't look like anyone's done anything (to my knowledge, at least) with that vacant lot where the fire happened back in February. I'm hoping, since a lot of Bronx neighborhoods have been going through a period of growth, some of it will eventually come here, too, and that'll start to change.

A lot of people tell me that the area was much nicer twenty years ago. However, while I can't say for sure, some of the people I've seen moving into the area look to me like former Manhattanites looking for affordable rent, so I wouldn't count the neighborhood out yet. The place does have a lot of good things going for it, after all-- good access to mass transit, lots of green space, near several Bronx attractions, affordable, quiet at night, etc. I doubt it'll become hipster central any time soon, but that's just fine with me.
I don't think Pelham Parkway's gonna be hipster. I think it would follow Parkchester and Bedford Park in being a more family-friendly area. I see many families moving in from the Southern and Western Bronx areas for the good schools and park access.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 AM

I am definitely not looking for something hipster.Just a safe,affordable area.After getting very excited about the neighborhood while looking,I got concerned by lots of negative comments on various threads and blogs about the area going down because of increasing crime ,etc... especially around White Plains Road. This really concerned me because that is exactly the area that I am looking in ....around Barker, Ollinville and Bronx Park East between Pelham Parkway and Waring.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM

187 posts, read 674,765 times
Quote:
I am definitely not looking for something hipster.Just a safe,affordable area.After getting very excited about the neighborhood while looking,I got concerned by lots of negative comments on various threads and blogs about the area going down because of increasing crime ,etc... especially around White Plains Road. This really concerned me because that is exactly the area that I am looking in ....around Barker, Ollinville and Bronx Park East between Pelham Parkway and Waring.
I felt much the same way you did not long after I first moved in and read all the negativity on past threads. However, I've been here over a year now, and I can't help but get the feeling that, if this area were as terrible as some people are making it out to be, I would've experienced something really bad by now. I've even walked home from the subway late at night--as in 3 AM-- several times and haven't been beaten, robbed, raped, stabbed, shot at, or even insulted yet. I'm not saying bad things never ever happen here, but I do think the issue of crime is a bit overhyped.

The best advice I can give is to visit a few times at different times of the day and at night, walk around a bit, and see how you feel. If you still don't feel comfortable, then this place may not be for you.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks ,Tumbler. I have been doing exactly what you suggest-spending time in the area,walking around,shopping,etc . I didn't have have any negative impressions at all until I started reading the negative comments on some of these threads. It gave me pause and made me wonder whether I was out of touch. Many of the comments indicated that the neighborhood was on the decline and "not what it used to be" 10 or 15 yrs ago,etc.Yesterday I went to the NYPD web site and looked up the crime statistics for the 49th.They show a steady across the board decrease in crime in the area...down 2% in the last year,down 7% in the last 2 years,down 15% in the last 7 years , down 66% in the last 15 years and down 72% since 1990! Makes me wonder how the good old days of 10 or 20 years ago could have been so much better when the crime rate was almost double. I am feeling much better about my plans now-especially after hearing from folks like you who actually live there.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks ,Tumbler. I have been doing exactly what you suggest-spending time in the area,walking around,shopping,etc . I didn't have have any negative impressions at all until I started reading the negative comments on some of these threads. It gave me pause and made me wonder whether I was out of touch. Many of the comments indicated that the neighborhood was on the decline and "not what it used to be" 10 or 15 yrs ago,etc.Yesterday I went to the NYPD web site and looked up the crime statistics for the 49th.They show a steady across the board decrease in crime in the area...down 2% in the last year,down 7% in the last 2 years,down 15% in the last 7 years , down 66% in the last 15 years and down 72% since 1990! Makes me wonder how the good old days of 10 or 20 years ago could have been so much better when the crime rate was almost double. I am feeling much better about my plans now-especially after hearing from folks like you who actually live there.
I think some of us have said some negative comments about Morris Park/Pelham Parkway because of the demographic changes that have been occurring there.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM

I really like the demographics! It feels like one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city.... almost like the bar scene in Star Wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City